Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What sets you apart from the rest?

44 posts in this topic

I visited downtown Boulder yesterday during lunch hour (yet again, I'm a genius) to pick up a Birthday present for my Mom. When I got down there parking was non existent. The only spaces I could find was for parallel parking.

Guess who can't parallel park to save their life?!?!

THIS GIRL! :D

So naturally I parked about 10 blocks away from where I needed to be so I could pull into a spot. Eh, lunch time cardio never hurt anyone...

So share...what can't you do that sets you apart?

Statistics.

I can math it up in any other category - algebra, trig, calculus, you name it. I love integrals and differentials. But ask me how many permutations are possible if you draw 6 balls out of a bag of 15 red balls and 15 blue balls....I might as well be a monkey flinging poo.

Statistics.

I can math it up in any other category - algebra, trig, calculus, you name it. I love integrals and differentials. But ask me how many permutations are possible if you draw 6 balls out of a bag of 15 red balls and 15 blue balls....I might as well be a monkey flinging poo.

The answer to the question as posed is exactly 6 tries. However, if you mean 6 balls of the same color, well......the minimum number of draws would be 6, maximum would be 11, but most of the time it would take 8 or 9 draws.

Obviously, what I can't do well is stay on the thread topic without being easily distracted, or post stuff without putting my foot in my mouth. That's what sets me apart.

Sorry, but your answer is incorrect. The different number of possible combinations is dependant upon whether or not you are "sampling" with, or without, "replacement." And even then, the probability that any particular "ball" will be "drawn" will change as the process is completed. Assuming that the sampling is done without replacement, the answer is 30 Factorial minus 24 Factorial. Please note that question was how many "possible" combinations, not how many will be red or blue balls will there be in the 6 ball combination.

Actually, it was permutations, not combinations. ;) Regardless, trying to wrap my brain around the correct answer for either permutations or combinations, with or without replacement....bah. But I'll integrate the shit out of any mathematical function you throw at me.

When I got down [to Boulder] parking was non existent. The only spaces I could find was for parallel parking.

For future reference, the garage under the St. Julian is usually empty. Pearl and 15th as well. Spruce garage can have a few open spots.

Anyway, garage rates are same as street parking, and don't have to deal with guessing how much time you need on the meter for your errands.

What I can't do is deal with math nerds arguing about balls on a discussion board which mainly deals with another kind of balls. I'm afraid this probably doesn't set me apart from too many of us though... On another note I am a pretty good parallel parker.

I am the Queen of useless and totally random information as well as Pop Trivia. If you are ever on Who Wants to be a Millionaire and need to phone a friend I'm your gal!

:D

I visited downtown Boulder yesterday during lunch hour (yet again, I'm a genius) to pick up a Birthday present for my Mom. When I got down there parking was non existent. The only spaces I could find was for parallel parking.

So naturally I parked about 10 blocks away from where I needed to be so I could pull into a spot. Eh, lunch time cardio never hurt anyone...

I think I need to teach you how to parallel park!

For me it's Math. I hate it! Hold up your hand to count on your fingers, 1 + 1 = 3 I have to take algebra this semester which is going to mess up my 4.0 GPA because I just do not freakin understand math. English, literature and science I get. Putting letters along side with numbers WTF. Wish me luck...LOL

Parallel parking and women brain they do not go together.I am not trying to be insulting but many scientists researched it. Women are way better than men in other areas thanks to better connection between the right and left sides of the brain.thanks to great corpus callosum (more fibers better connection) for women.

I can't fucking dance LOL

I . The only spaces I could find was for parallel parking.

Justina,

It's a piece of cake.

Practice Practice Practice

cook.... love food ... but just can't put it together and come out with anything eatable ...

Justina, you pose some fun stuff!

I can parallel park a supercab long bed truck no problem--only way to park it, is parallell or backing in.

I'm not good at being fake or thinking strategically ahead.:(

Statistics.

When faced with this problem, I go back to basics. A 3-bit binary word using 1 or 0 binary bits is 2 to the 3rd power equals 2x2x2, or 8 possible permutations. In your example, it would be 2 to the 6 power or 64 possible permutations. The number of red and blue balls (heh) in the bag is irrelevant.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I am fucking color blind and tune deaf. Gawd, I'd give my left nut to be able to see a rainbow in color or truly appreciate some Beethoven.

For me it's Math. I hate it! Hold up your hand to count on your fingers, 1 + 1 = 3 I have to take algebra this semester which is going to mess up my 4.0 GPA because I just do not freakin understand math. English, literature and science I get. Putting letters along side with numbers WTF. Wish me luck...LOL

The trick (heh) is to to understand that the letters are simply placeholders for numbers, and, what numbers you assign to one side of the equation, you must do the same to the other side of the equation. The equal sign is paramount; it has one meaning, and one meaning only: What you do to one side of the equation, you must do to the other side of the equation in order to keep the equation balanced.

Example, if you decide to assign a +100 to the letter A on one side you must assign a -100 to the other; or assign a x100 on one side, you must assign a 1/100 to the other to keep the equation balanced. Good luck.

I absolutely hate taking a dump in a public restroom. It's just gross. I don't like getting out of my comfort zone when natures calls. If I can avoid it I will. But if push comes to push I will.

The secret to parallel parking is getting a little closer to the car behind you and start your turn into the curb at a little sharper angel than you think will work.

Sets me apart? Good or bad? Hmmm.....I have a pretty quirky sense of humor that folks find amusing, but I'm not the most extroverted person. So, it surprises people when that side of my personality comes out. (Kind of a weird combination.)

Edited by Yogi
tpyo

When parallel parking pull next to the vehicle in front and then back up and keep the center of the front grille of the car behind you in the middle of your interior rear view mirror. It works and it will get you in perfect.

The ADD in this group is hilarious sometimes!

These responses are awesome. :D

The trick (heh) is to to understand that the letters are simply placeholders for numbers, and, what numbers you assign to one side of the equation, you must do the same to the other side of the equation. The equal sign is paramount; it has one meaning, and one meaning only: What you do to one side of the equation, you must do to the other side of the equation in order to keep the equation balanced.

Example, if you decide to assign a +100 to the letter A on one side you must assign a -100 to the other; or assign a x100 on one side, you must assign a 1/100 to the other to keep the equation balanced. Good luck.

Maybe you should quit while you're still ahead, instead of boring us with this half-cocked mumbo jumbo.

No wonder the Koreans and Chinese are laughing at us.:cool:

"The OECD is out with new global rankings of how students in various countries do in reading, science, and math. Results of the full survey can be found and delved into here.

You can see below how Asian countries are obliterating everyone else in these categories.

The United States, meanwhile, ranks below the OECD average in every category. And as the WSJ notes, the US has slipped in all of the major categories in recent years:

The results from the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), which are being released on Tuesday, show that teenagers in the U.S. slipped from 25th to 31st in math since 2009; from 20th to 24th in science; and from 11th to 21st in reading, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, which gathers and analyzes the data in the U.S."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-rankings-2013-12#ixzz3AxpjweSQ

Climb rock walls. Three feet off the ground, and I am trembling like I am hanging from a 1,000 foot cliff.

What sets me apart is that I had a 98% average in grade 12 physics (the only girl with higher than 80%), while I nearly failed chemistry.

I can parallel park with no problem at all... but I hit the curb/bumper in front of me, every time I pull into a straight on parking spot! :)

Not a problem to listen to constructive criticism but all your criticism is subjective. No factual evidence of dis-crediting my supposition. Furthermore, I have spent nearly 30 years of practicing this "mumbo jumbo" and no planes or space craft have crashed because of my engineering. [snip] come back with when you have some actual refutation. Oh, and the alleged size of your wiener doesn't count. :rolleyes:

Ok, I timed out on my response while editing, so here it is a 2nd time:

Not a problem to listen to constructive criticism but all your criticism is non-sequitur. No factual evidence of dis-crediting my supposition. Furthermore, I have spent nearly 30 years of practicing this "mumbo jumbo" and no planes or space craft have crashed because of my engineering. [snip] come back with when you have some actual refutation. Oh, and the alleged size of your wiener doesn't count. Bwaaaa ha ha ha

Edited by The Oxymoron
Name calling

I couldn't parallel park for years and I also had to park quite a ways and walk. Then I started working downtown and I learned quickly. It just takes a little practice.

I can't do relationships and not just romantic ones but relationships in general. I have one friend, my wife dislikes me and I don't talk to any of my family members. My animals love me though so I'm good.

Perfect example of "wow" statistics that journalists (who typically have difficulty spelling mathematics, let alone understanding it) and special interest groups love to parade out, but that upon inspection don't mean much of diddly squat. For openers if you assume that the tests reflect testing ALL students in the listed countries, well then you will believe most of what Fox and CNN tell you. :) A grand total of 510,000 students WORLDWIDE were tested - a tiny percentage of the total with no explanation as to how the ones to be rated were selected. Throw in the fact that in this country we insist on trying to educate everyone (a good thing!) and have of late slanted our education system to favor the poor and minority populations as opposed to achievement and well, sorry - "studies" like this one mean next to nothing. I prefer something more meaningful like oh say, significant and groundbreakingl advances in science, math, peace, etc. as measured by nobel prize awards for outstanding achievement. There the score is US 346, China 8, Korea 1. Still kicking butt where it matters.

I park in what I call the corral at my house. I can't pull in frontwards without some maneuvering, back in -no problem, Shut the gate and the heep is fine. I failed chemistry twice, but hell , I did not have chemistry in high school. My animals like me, and I like them. In fact I like them a lot more then I do many people. I do things ass backwards as a rule. I was born breech.

But what really makes me different? I am Jez- there can be only one. I am me.

PS- I am scared of heights and the dark. Melissa, math is not my friend either.

What sets me apart is that I had a 98% average in grade 12 physics (the only girl with higher than 80%), while I nearly failed chemistry.

I was the same way - I "got" physics and math with no issues. Chemistry, now...that always seemed like a pseudo-science to me. I lost all faith in my instructor in AP Chemistry when he told the class "chemists don't really KNOW anything, but they're just taking their best guesses".

I sort of mentally checked out after that.

A grand total of 510,000 students WORLDWIDE were tested - a tiny percentage of the total with no explanation as to how the ones to be rated were selected.

Oh dear, the problem is even worse than I imagined.:cool:

May I suggest you consult the following two books?

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Statistics-McGraw-Hill-Series-Sociology/dp/0070057524/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408652356&sr=8-2&keywords=hubert+blalock

http://www.amazon.com/Logic-Survey-Analysis-Morris-Rosenberg/dp/0465042058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408652446&sr=8-1&keywords=the+logic+of+survey+analysis

When you've mastered the basics, come back and we can have a discussion about PISA.:cool: