Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jez UaBriain

Words

76 posts in this topic

What I get from this thread is that everyone should STFU. Or maybe you should all grow up and realize it is actions not words that matter.

Actions and not words? Ask Donald Sterling how much words matter. Now there is a man who has paid black people millions of dollars, hired a black coach (Doc Rivers) and a black GM (Elgin Baylor in days past), and he says something that was supposed to be private, and WHAM.

It reminds me of Ebbie Lalouche who was upset that Annie said Crash's name in the throes of ecstacy. Annie said, "Would you rather I were making love to him and saying YOUR name?" I wonder, would they rather Sterling did not pay them millions, but said nice things? I guess you have to do both.

I wonder, would they rather Sterling did not pay them millions, but said nice things? I guess you have to do both.

I would argue that Donald Sterling revealed his real beliefs. That is: Black players should be grateful that he is such an enlightened white man. They could never generate their income without him. (Sarcasm) For gosh sakes, he pays them millions! (Sarcasm)

The players are the box office draw. He would have ZERO dollars to pay (or keep) if the players weren't there.

Donald Sterling also made clear he wanted NO black people to accompany his "girl" to the game. Certainly sounds "enlightened" to me. :rolleyes:

He is a bigot. Unfortunately, I think he doesn't even realize it.

Now there's a word I like "bigot". ;)

I would argue that Donald Sterling revealed his real beliefs. That is: Black players should be grateful that he is such an enlightened white man. They could never generate their income without him. (Sarcasm) For gosh sakes, he pays them millions! (Sarcasm)

The players are the box office draw. He would have ZERO dollars to pay (or keep) if the players weren't there.

Donald Sterling also made clear he wanted NO black people to accompany his "girl" to the game. Certainly sounds "enlightened" to me. :rolleyes:

He is a bigot. Unfortunately, I think he doesn't even realize it.

Now there's a word I like "bigot". ;)

Of course he is a bigot. However, Bill Maher makes an interesting case that the whole Sterling thing creates a big chill on the 4th Amendment -- because as he says, Sterling was not advertising his beliefs in the public square. Does he not have the right to be secure in his own home in a private setting? Think about what we hobbyists do in the privacy of various homes and hotel rooms. Don't you want your privacy? As Maher says, Sterling may not be worth defending, but the 4th Amendment is worth defending.

Here is Maher's take...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxwRqQNDUSs

I can't think of a word that I find offensive however there are many I don't use because I know they are hurtful to others. I kinda like the word cunt and is usually reserved for my closest finds when they are annoying me. Words are really meaningless and only hold value because someone has decided that it has some sort of value either good or bad. It's the individual that determines how a particular word makes them feel. IMO people are way too sensitive.

Does he not have the right to be secure in his own home in a private setting?

Certainly we have a right to privacy. If you speak to someone else, however, even in your own home, they cannot be required to keep it secret. However, recording someone without their knowledge, or consent, is not acceptable, IMO.

Donald Sterling hasn't been shy in the past, however:

http://deadspin.com/your-complete-quotable-guide-to-decades-of-donald-sterl-1568047212

He's been saying ignorant stuff like this for years. :eek:

Of course he (Sterling) is a bigot. However, Bill Maher makes an interesting case that the whole Sterling thing creates a big chill on the 4th ... Don't you want your privacy? As Maher says, Sterling may not be worth defending, but the 4th Amendment is worth defending.

Here is Maher's take...

Maher makes an excellent point. While we're trashing the 4th Amendment, which btw also applies to the seizure of property, let's eliminate the 1st ( freedom of speech) and 5th (self incrimination)?

I think not!

We have to be very careful about what we tell others not to do lest they turn around our logic and restrict our way of life (This is not just a 'hobby' issue.). As I told protesters in Lincoln Park, Chicago, 1968, "I wear this (US Army) uniform to protect your right to protest. I disagree & dislike what you have to say, but I will die for your right to say it."

Yes, words have power, some more than others, and the thoughts behind those words may be ugly. But the alternative to allowing their utterance leads to re-education camps & gulags. I do not want to see Political Correctness enforced at gun point, or by confiscation, or through unemployment.

That is not the America I fought for!

Of course he is a bigot. However, Bill Maher makes an interesting case that the whole Sterling thing creates a big chill on the 4th Amendment -- because as he says, Sterling was not advertising his beliefs in the public square. Does he not have the right to be secure in his own home in a private setting? Think about what we hobbyists do in the privacy of various homes and hotel rooms. Don't you want your privacy? As Maher says, Sterling may not be worth defending, but the 4th Amendment is worth defending.

Here is Maher's take...

Maher makes an excellent point. While we're trashing the 4th Amendment, which btw also applies to the seizure of property, let's eliminate the 1st ( freedom of speech) and 5th (self incrimination)?

I think not!

We have to be very careful about what we tell others not to do lest they turn around our logic and restrict our way of life (This is not just a 'hobby' issue.). As I told protesters in Lincoln Park, Chicago, 1968, "I wear this (US Army) uniform to protect your right to protest. I disagree & dislike what you have to say, but I will die for your right to say it."

Yes, words have power, some more than others, and the thoughts behind those words may be ugly. But the alternative to allowing their utterance leads to re-education camps & gulags. I do not want to see Political Correctness enforced at gun point, or by confiscation, or through unemployment.

That is not the America I fought for!

The points you Constitutional lawyers seem to be missing:

The Fourth Amendment protects you from unreasonable search and seizure from the Government.

The First Amendment protects your right to say any stupid racist thing you want, it does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid, racist things.

Don't think there's an amendment stipulating a person's right to never be offended yet, but I understand it's a bar association objective.

The Fourth Amendment protects you from unreasonable search and seizure from the Government.

The First Amendment protects your right to say any stupid racist thing you want, it does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid, racist things.

I will grant you that the Constitutional arguments strictly apply to government actions, not to the actions of private parties or organizations. But the principles of freedom, especially in a private conversation, should still apply. Would you be outraged is your next ASP visit was recorded and made public, cost you your job, forced you to sell your possessions?

I will grant you that the Constitutional arguments strictly apply to government actions, not to the actions of private parties or organizations. But the principles of freedom, especially in a private conversation, should still apply. Would you be outraged is your next ASP visit was recorded and made public, cost you your job, forced you to sell your possessions?

If I lost my job that would definitely suck; however I don't own an NBA team, that I'm contractually obligated to.

Further, while I have the right to say anything I want(to an ASP or otherwise), I'm still responsible for the consequences of what I said(how much $$$ for a...), or what I did(soliciting). If she chose to expose me: causing embarrassment, and loss of a job due to a morals clause, it was still my actions that got me there; and while I may be able to seek redress, it would not be under Constitutional grounds(my original objection).

I think we ALL understand that, even prior to you saying this over and over again as though we are all uneducated doofus'.

The word "niggardly" does make me uncomfortable as well, and it's not one I would use. EVEN THOUGH I totally know and understand that the word does not have an racial basis. It's just making my mouth say a word that is so close to the word that has been so painful to so many, makes my skin crawl.

If it doesn't bother you, go to it... but it's just not a comfortable word for me, phonetically.

I play in a band with a couple of white guys from Mississippi, both enlightened/progressive/thoughful men. One of them is old enough to have witnessed civil rights protests in Jackson during the 60's. When talking about his family and growing up there, he'll often use the n-word. It's interesting that I've never found it offensive coming from him - I suppose it's the context and the way he uses it. The other man is younger and I can't remember if he has ever used it in our conversations. If he did, I would expect the same kind of careful use from him.

Hun, honey, baby - only strange to me if we're in bed and we haven't done the deed yet. I've heard "Mister" a few times and liked it.

Writing and speaking also make a difference. What shows up in reviews would be hilarious in bed - "baby, put your meat in my taco" or "can I touch your starfish?"

I can't remember many times I've been offended by certain words. I find strange affectations more disturbing - had a session this weekend with someone who had this contrived chuckle. Just weird.

The word "like" is the most grating of the modern age. Somewhere along the line, it replaced "said," and it makes for supremely wacky syntax.

He was like, "Why did you buy that shirt?"

And I was like, "I liked the shirt, but it was so expensive."

I tell my forbidden topics to be different and bring back the noble word "said."

As for words directed toward women, I just find it incredibly cruel to call women "fat." It may be true, but it's mean, and I have no desire to be mean.

Sugar coating the obvious is just a little silly. I do not condone just walking up to a random overweight female and yelling "Hey fat lady". However fat is fat and if it comes up in conversation, well what else are you going to call it?

Sugar coating the obvious is just a little silly. I do not condone just walking up to a random overweight female and yelling "Hey fat lady". However fat is fat and if it comes up in conversation, well what else are you going to call it?

FAT applies to both M & F, it's just that F seem to be more sensitive about it.

I never said anything about being free from consequences. I was merely bringing up Maher's complaints. And you are right, constitutional protections usually apply only to government actions.

I never said anything about being free from consequences. I was merely bringing up Maher's complaints. And you are right, constitutional protections usually apply only to government actions.

See below, particularly the bold:

(And, for the record, the 4th Amendment specifically applies to Government intrusion, it has absolutely no relevance in this case.)

Actions and not words? Ask Donald Sterling how much words matter. Now there is a man who has paid black people millions of dollars, hired a black coach (Doc Rivers) and a black GM (Elgin Baylor in days past), and he says something that was supposed to be private, and WHAM.

[snip-irrelevant movie quote] I wonder, would they rather Sterling did not pay them millions, but said nice things? I guess you have to do both.

I guess if he hired/paid black people, and said racist things in private, he should be free of consequences...

Here is Maher's take...

Oh, I must have misunderstood. You quote Maher, and mention how this case could be relevant to this business, but you were just quoting for the Hell of it...:rolleyes:

I personally don't give a rat's azz what some wrinkled old motherfucker mutters to himself in the privacy of his home.

Now, if someone says that shit to my face, boom, it's time to visit the dentist, baby.

What I find funny, though, is how many of these folks hate black people, on the one hand, on the other they seem to be having difficulties keeping their white peckers out of that sweet chocolate poontang.

Lol, it's like those Republicans who spew all this homophobic nonsense...next thing you know they get caught bent over the shitter with some guy's dick up their Hershey highway.

This shit is just too funny.