24 posts in this topic

My grandson convinced me to drive him and a friend to the new Buc-Ees in Johnstown Saturday.

Now, I have heard of Buc-Ees. I knew it had a somewhat fanatical  following. And while I had my usual comical, skeptical view that a gas station could in no way deserve the hype of whatever a the Buc-Ees is,  I never the less found myself driving my grandson and, now two of his friends, to visit a gas station. I would have never imagined myself driving 2 and a half hour just to visit...... a gas station!!?

Apparently one of the friends grew up with Buc-Ees,. He wanted to be the envy of his family and be the first one of them to visit the new Buc-Ees in Colorado. Grandson asked grandpa. So off we went.

Gotta say, I was impressed. Also gotta say I will not be driving two and a half hours to buy gas again any time son. But I was impressed.

Still munching on the Beaver Nuggets. Thoroughly enjoyed the BBQ sandwich and shared a couple of fruit Kolaches.

But the best part. I spent the better part of Saturday with my grandson and two other pretty nice young men. We sang to 60s Gold, Outlaw country, talked March Madness and I listened as they talked girlfriends.

The three of them paid for all of the gas and all of the food. I thought about objecting, at first, but then thought, no, it was a good thing to let them have that.

I am smiling as I think about Saturday. Life is good!

Sounds like you had a fantastic Grandpa day.

I treasure those days.

I'm glad you had such a good time with your grandson and his friend! sounds like a grand time. i miss my grandpa so much. moments to treasure :)

Posted (edited)

Buc-ee’s! 😱😁

Yes, another great idea from TX.  As they say, EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas.

Now wait until What-a-Burger shows up in town 🤪

—-

Kudos and good karma for the Gpa time.

Edited by Bit Banger

22 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Buc-ee’s! 😱😁

Yes, another great idea from TX.  As they say, EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas.

Now wait until What-a-Burger shows up in town 🤪

—-

Kudos and good karma for the Gpa time.

We had What-A-Burger in Denver back in the 70’s/80’s time frame. I used to like than a lot. Reminded me of a Denver staple…Grandpas Burger Haven.

Last time I ate What-A-Burger was in Taylor, TX outside of Austin. Are there at that location several times while working down there. It definitely wasn’t as good as I remember.

1 hour ago, ilovewomen said:

Last time I ate What-A-Burger was in Taylor, TX outside of Austin. Are there at that location several times while working down there. It definitely wasn’t as good as I remember.

While not up to the standards of many restaurant burgers. IMHO they are the best fast food chain burgers.  Next best would be Carl’s. McD, BK, & Wendy’s are left in the dust in this race.  Yes, I’ve had In-n-Out, Freddy’s, and Culver’s as well.

White Castle & Krystal’s sliders are just a different category.

Bob appetite. 😁

On 4/1/2024 at 2:25 PM, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

My grandson convinced me to drive him and a friend to the new Buc-Ees in Johnstown Saturday.

Now, I have heard of Buc-Ees. I knew it had a somewhat fanatical  following. And while I had my usual comical, skeptical view that a gas station could in no way deserve the hype of whatever a the Buc-Ees is,  I never the less found myself driving my grandson and, now two of his friends, to visit a gas station. I would have never imagined myself driving 2 and a half hour just to visit...... a gas station!!?

Apparently one of the friends grew up with Buc-Ees,. He wanted to be the envy of his family and be the first one of them to visit the new Buc-Ees in Colorado. Grandson asked grandpa. So off we went.

Gotta say, I was impressed. Also gotta say I will not be driving two and a half hours to buy gas again any time son. But I was impressed.

Still munching on the Beaver Nuggets. Thoroughly enjoyed the BBQ sandwich and shared a couple of fruit Kolaches.

But the best part. I spent the better part of Saturday with my grandson and two other pretty nice young men. We sang to 60s Gold, Outlaw country, talked March Madness and I listened as they talked girlfriends.

The three of them paid for all of the gas and all of the food. I thought about objecting, at first, but then thought, no, it was a good thing to let them have that.

I am smiling as I think about Saturday. Life is good!

You had me at Kolache! What kind? Were they good?😳😛😘

Apricot and peach. And they were delicious!! Thank you for asking. I was told to try the Strawberry Rhubarb but that one was all gone

The BBQ sandwich was a  generous size and reasonable priced.

Posted (edited)

Buc-ee’s kolachii are OK, but I like the ones from Slovacek in West, TX better (yes, that’s a town). Great sausage too.  Be prepared to stand in line. 😁

Edited by Bit Banger

Cleanest bathrooms I've ever been in for a gas station. I also like the lights above the bathroom stalls to let you whether they are occupied or not(green, open; red, occupied).

20 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Apricot and peach. And they were delicious!! Thank you for asking. I was told to try the Strawberry Rhubarb but that one was all gone

The BBQ sandwich was a  generous size and reasonable priced.

I got home made cherry ones for my bday. Yummmm love apricot too. I remember my great grandmother making those. 

20 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Buc-ee’s kolachii are OK, but I like the ones from Slovacek in West, TX better (yes, that’s a town). Great sausage too.  Be prepared to stand in line. 😁

👀😳 👀 

On 4/4/2024 at 6:21 PM, Steve Rogers said:

Cleanest bathrooms I've ever been in for a gas station. I also like the lights above the bathroom stalls to let you whether they are occupied or not(green, open; red, occupied).

I don’t recall ever being in a Buccees, but the bathroom sounds like a must see/visit.😂 I’ll stop on my way to FOCO. 

Next time I Uber someone up that, I’ll have to stop and check it out.

20 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Next time I Uber someone up that, I’ll have to stop and check it out.

Maybe I should Uber to FOCO.😂 It may be more economical than a Hemi. 

some day i will go to TX i want to see a few things there along with the famous Buccuee. i want to do the River walk in San Antonio. 😊

Buc Cee’s i misspelled. New places are fun to check out! 

we have some TX winds going on today! 

3 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Buc Cee’s i misspelled. New places are fun to check out! 

we have some TX winds going on today! 

The wind today is pissing me off.  I wanted to get some things done, and the wind is just giving me a headache.

1 hour ago, FuriousWeasel said:

The wind today is pissing me off.  I wanted to get some things done, and the wind is just giving me a headache.

always on my bday the worse weather! i know what you  are saying

and when the barometric pressure changes. that too can give you a woper headache! ❤️ sending reiki! 

18 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

some day i will go to TX i want to see a few things there along with the famous Buccuee. i want to do the River walk in San Antonio. 😊

Take a boat tour of the River Walk.

The new Alamo museum is fairly impressive.  But be sure to check out the other missions. They, particularly San Juan, are more like the Alamo was during the revolution. They are a National Historic Park.

Also check out the Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia for breakfast.

The last time I was in San Antonio I stayed at the Menger Hotel, opened in 1859.

16 hours ago, FuriousWeasel said:

I’ve had one for 2 days as well. I rarely get them. Ugh 💨 🌬 

8 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Take a boat tour of the River Walk.

The new Alamo museum is fairly impressive.  But be sure to check out the other missions. They, particularly San Juan, are more like the Alamo was during the revolution. They are a National Historic Park.

Also check out the Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia for breakfast.

The last time I was in San Antonio I stayed at the Menger Hotel, opened in 1859.

@Bit Banger  SOME DAY!  I so would love to travel a bit before my eyes completely go! I have read quite a bit about all these interesting destinations. 
 Last night before falling asleep the heavy wind whipped open my French doors that where locked to my bedroom and an antique lamp I had smashed into a million pieces! I was up until very late picking up pieces of glass until I was able to vacuum tiny shards.  It was pretty wild! 

On 4/7/2024 at 0:32 PM, Audrey Astor said:

I’ve had one for 2 days as well. I rarely get them. Ugh 💨 🌬 

I hope you two are feeling better today!!

6 minutes ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I hope you two are feeling better today!!

Thank you Kali. It seems like things are dissipating.😃