Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calisurfgirl

Which sense could live without?

11 posts in this topic

Notably, we learn that we have 5 senses. Those being.. Taste, Touch, Sight, Sound, Smell. There should actually be an additional sense, that many do not have, "common sense". I have read numerous hobbyist contributions to the forums, regarding this generalize question or topic related question. " Who or where are the providers that do not rush appointments, adhere to the scheduled appointment times, value and respect the hobbyist time". or "I want a provider that wishes to establish chemistry, to mutually feel comfortable since we are about to embark upon intimate discussion, quality contributed to the time and the "taboo" of this particular requested, desired situation." Usually a combination of both, give or take. "WE" do exist! This aggravates me as a provider who encompasses the bounty of their requests. Not all providers are heathens, with the intent to have a turnstile within their confines. So to answer your question hobbyist, like I have stated numerous times within the forum if you are looking to buy an new Audi or better yet a Telsa on Colfax it is not going to happen. Common Sense. I wouldn't want to lose my ability to discern rational and logical thinking. I would want to lose any of the 5 senses listed above , before that happens, God Willing. 

Taste!

I lost it temporarily after bypass surgery (a common side effect).  Just had to force myself to eat.

Sight, sound, touch are all more essential to the human experience (imho). Smell, as an early warning system, can be essential to survival.

We, as society, are doing our best to eliminate the Darwinian results when people lack ‘common sense’.😡

I would also like to add sense of humor along with common sense.  I would like an ASP that actually finds my dad jokes funny, like this one:

Did you know there is a film being made about Helen Keller talking to dead people? It's called the Fourth Sense.

Which of the 5 senses could I live without?

Taste - When I had Covid 18 months ago, I didn't lose my taste, but it was definitely messed up.  Foods I liked I couldn't stand.  Everything tasted super salty or just plain nasty.  I suppose I could adapt without a sense of taste.

Smell - Covid didn't affect my smell...I think.  So I think I could adapt without a sense of smell.

Sight -  This would be tough. I would no longer be able to see the beauty that the world holds for me.

Sound - I know I have hearing loss right now due to firearms and loud music and a constant ringing in my ears.  Can't remember a time without the ringing.  I suppose I could adapt but again it would be difficult not to hear the sound of my grandson's voice.

Touch - That is a complete NO for me.  We all desire the touch of somebody. 

Well I agree with those who picked taste. I have always been a picky eater. So then I could eat just about anything.

Sight would be hard to give up. I would lose my independence to drive or work my current job.

Smell, sound & touch are used so much in my job, that losing one could really physically  hurt me bad. 

I think that a loss of any of our senses would be a dramatic change. So, what happens as we age – we get some loss of all 5 senses. Our sight dims, often because of cataracts. Our hearing lessens, either in one ear or both. Our sense of taste diminishes probably because our sense of smell is not as strong as it used to be. Our sense of touch weakens but I do not know why. Maybe it is the arthritis that sets in and makes it hurt to move to touch anything.

For me a loss of hearing would be a dramatic and devastating change. I would not be able to hear the water boiling for tea or the phone ring. I would miss hearing the music on YouTube. Worst thing of all would be to never hear my girlfriend say ‘I love you’ again.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, Sven Hertzog said:

I think that a loss of any of our senses would be a dramatic change. So, what happens as we age – we get some loss of all 5 senses. Our sight dims, often because of cataracts. Our hearing lessens, either in one ear or both. Our sense of taste diminishes probably because our sense of smell is not as strong as it used to be. Our sense of touch weakens but I do not know why. Maybe it is the arthritis that sets in and makes it hurt to move to touch anything.

For me a loss of hearing would be a dramatic and devastating change. I would not be able to hear the water boiling for tea or the phone ring. I would miss hearing the music on YouTube. Worst thing of all would be to never hear my girlfriend say ‘I love you’ again.

You brought up a good point. I see my customers age and am on that path, like everyone else. Still the smile of a girlfriend, as she sees you walk into a room. You know that smile, with her head tilted to one side. She is saying she loves you. No words are needed.

11 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

You brought up a good point. I see my customers age and am on that path, like everyone else. Still the smile of a girlfriend, as she sees you walk into a room. You know that smile, with her head tilted to one side. She is saying she loves you. No words are needed.

You maybe right. ^_^

After some health scares, most of those are too important.  But I like silence, and many sounds are triggering, to me, so I'd go with hearing.

I think smell is the one I could do without...