Laci French

Such a great time of year

46 posts in this topic

Watertown Canyon is nice up to the Colorado trail and back, although it’s not a 8 hour trek.

2 hours ago, Laci French said:

Thinking about a really intense hike...8 or 10 hours.  Know a good spot?

15 hours ago, Laci French said:

🤣 As a matter of fact I do. I enjoy the intense hikes

15 hours ago, Seeker5280 said:

Watertown Canyon is nice up to the Colorado trail and back, although it’s not a 8 hour trek.

Thanks 😊 

50 minutes ago, Laci French said:

Thanks 😊 

3F1F14E9-15BB-4B50-A015-15DD1CFA1D1B_1_201_a.jpeg

There:: I believe you have everything you need for a successful 10 mile hike....

Baby carrots🤣🤣🤣 how perfect 

16 hours ago, Seeker5280 said:

I'm not familiar with Watertown Canyon.

I'm familiar with Waterton Canyon...is that what you were referring to?

Before going to Waterton Canyon, check and make sure it is open.  I believe I saw on TV a week ago or so that it was closed and going to be closed for awhile.

It's a great place to hike and see can see all kinds of wildlife including Bighorn Sheep.

FYI, I just cut and pasted this from Denver Water Website for Waterton Canyon:

Fishing: The stream fishery is managed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife. For lake fishing, note that Strontia Springs is difficult to access from the Bear Creek Trail above Waterton or at the South Platte.

Handicapped accessible fishing pier: A mile and a quarter up the canyon, the site was chosen for its mountain canyon stream location and access to fish habitat structures in the river. Handicapped persons have priority use.

Biking: For the first 6.5 miles of trail, road bikes are suitable. Beyond the dam, mountain bikes are a must.

Hiking: The canyon offers a 6.5-mile hike to the dam. The Colorado Trail continues above the reservoir about 10 miles to the confluence of the North Fork of the South Platte and the South Platte. The Colorado Trail continues to Durango. Waterton also connects to the Roxborough State Park system.

Horseback riding: Waterton Canyon connects to the Chatfield State Parks trail system and the U.S. Forest Service Indian Creek system. Trailer parking is provided at Waterton and at the Discovery Pavilion.

Wildlife viewing: Bighorn sheep and mule deer are often seen in the canyon, which also hosts more than 40 species of birds. To protect the bighorn sheep, dogs are not allowed on the canyon trails.

If you like to hike with your dogs, Waterton Canyon is not the place to go due to the no dog policy.

If it is open, Waterton is beautiful, and has surprisingly great fishing, especially for being so close to town.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:53 PM, Laci French said:

How about the Colorado Trail south side of Twin Lakes to the Willis Gulch Trail that goes south between Quail Mountain and Mount Hope.  The Colorado Trail portion is moderate but the Willis Gulch Trail gets serious.  Be sure and check out the old (1800's) Inter-Laken Hotel and Dexter's House.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/willis-gulch-trail-1470

and if you go might as well check out the Twin Lakes Inn ....... 1800's hotel and one time brothel.  ;)

Twin Lakes Inn

2 hours ago, gr8owl said:

and if you go might as well check out the Twin Lakes Inn ....... 1800's hotel and one time brothel.  ;)

Twin Lakes Inn

How awesome and thank you sweetheart 

8 hours ago, BadBoy said:

If it is open, Waterton is beautiful, and has surprisingly great fishing, especially for being so close to town.

Thanks and fishing sounds so fun. 

16 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Thanks for the update.  I've heard it has great fishing, but I've never hiked up the canyon to find out.  Shame on me:D

Another nice set of trails is the Mount Lincoln Open Space in southern Douglas County. Just off HWY 83 and Jones Road. 2 trails, both about 4 miles, rolling terrain, open fields, some forest and hills. Not crowded and great for dogs! We hiked it yesterday and it was beautiful!

16 hours ago, Apples said:

Another nice set of trails is the Mount Lincoln Open Space in southern Douglas County. Just off HWY 83 and Jones Road. 2 trails, both about 4 miles, rolling terrain, open fields, some forest and hills. Not crowded and great for dogs! We hiked it yesterday and it was beautiful!

Thanks 😊 

Laci, I haven't heard your report on the Spruce Mountain hike. Did you see any hawks there?

-Perfect Stranger