Bit Banger

CARES Act

80 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2020 at 8:50 AM, JRWolfe said:

Its ridiculous that ANY politician in ANY country would get blamed for the Covid-19 virus. This is a world wide pandemic. Every country is infected.   That said..how could it have been handled better ?  or how can it be handled worse ?

· You don't get blamed for COVID, you get praised or blamed for what you do or don't do once Coronavirus raises its beyond all boarders vicious ugly head.

··Apr 18, 2020, businessinsider.com/england-ireland-coronavirus-response-compared-2020-4

England's coronavirus death rate is nearly 3 times higher than Ireland's. Proactive social-distancing measures made the difference.

Ireland and England's responses to the coronavirus crisis have been very different.

• England wound up with a far higher death rate and death toll.
    • England's death rate out of total cases is 13.4%. Ireland's is 3.8%.
  • Ireland's early, proactive social-distancing measures helped the country avoid overwhelming its healthcare system to the extent that England has.
  •  Ireland is doing a great job containing; Herculean efforts are focused on the senior care centers most at risk. Also paying the wages for private care Doctors and Nurses to come in and assist the senior living facilities..

All spikes aren’t equal NYtimes July 28, 2020

---> Much of the world is now coping with a coronavirus resurgence.

The number of new daily cases has risen more than 20 percent in both Europe and Canada over the past week. It’s up about 40 percent in Australia and Japan. Hong Kong reported 145 cases yesterday, its highest one-day count yet and the sixth straight day of more than 100 new cases.

All of these increases are worrisome reminders that crushing the virus is not a one-time event, at least not until a vaccine is available. It involves constant vigilance.

As countries take steps toward more normal functioning — reopening schools, workplaces and restaurants, for instance — they will often spark new outbreaks, which in turn will require more tests, quarantines and even limited lockdowns.

And yet all of these places are in a very different situation from the United States:

28-MORNING-CASES-articleLarge.png

---> Even with the recent surges, the outbreaks elsewhere are much more contained and manageable than in the U.S. The U.S. has had about 15 times as many confirmed new cases, per capita, as Canada over the past week and 12 times as many as Hong Kong or Europe.

As a result, these other places still have the chance to keep their recent outbreaks from turning into something worse. Hong Kong has prohibited restaurant dining, limited public gatherings to two people and required mask-wearing in public at all times. Belgium is limiting people’s social contacts outside their family to the same five people over the next four weeks.

Much of the U.S. is responding less aggressively, even though its outbreak is more severe. Until that changes, many parts of the U.S. reopening — schools, pro sports and more — are likely to suffer setbacks, epidemiologists say.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:56 AM, Kaduk said:

· You don't get blamed for COVID, you get praised or blamed for what you do or don't do once Coronavirus raises its beyond all boarders vicious ugly head.

··Apr 18, 2020, businessinsider.com/england-ireland-coronavirus-response-compared-2020-4

England's coronavirus death rate is nearly 3 times higher than Ireland's. Proactive social-distancing measures made the difference.

Ireland and England's responses to the coronavirus crisis have been very different.

• England wound up with a far higher death rate and death toll.
    • England's death rate out of total cases is 13.4%. Ireland's is 3.8%.
  • Ireland's early, proactive social-distancing measures helped the country avoid overwhelming its healthcare system to the extent that England has.
  •  Ireland is doing a great job containing; Herculean efforts are focused on the senior care centers most at risk. Also paying the wages for private care Doctors and Nurses to come in and assist the senior living facilities..

The number of new daily cases has risen more than 20 percent in both Europe and Canada over the past week. It’s up about 40 percent in Australia and Japan. Hong Kong reported 145 cases yesterday, its highest one-day count yet and the sixth straight day of more than 100 new cases.

All of these increases are worrisome reminders that crushing the virus is not a one-time event, at least not until a vaccine is available. It involves constant vigilance.

As countries take steps toward more normal functioning — reopening schools, workplaces and restaurants, for instance — they will often spark new outbreaks, which in turn will require more tests, quarantines and even limited lockdowns.

And yet all of these places are in a very different situation from the United States:

28-MORNING-CASES-articleLarge.png

---> Even with the recent surges, the outbreaks elsewhere are much more contained and manageable than in the U.S. The U.S. has had about 15 times as many confirmed new cases, per capita, as Canada over the past week and 12 times as many as Hong Kong or Europe.

As a result, these other places still have the chance to keep their recent outbreaks from turning into something worse. Hong Kong has prohibited restaurant dining, limited public gatherings to two people and required mask-wearing in public at all times. Belgium is limiting people’s social contacts outside their family to the same five people over the next four weeks.

Much of the U.S. is responding less aggressively, even though its outbreak is more severe. Until that changes, many parts of the U.S. reopening — schools, pro sports and more — are likely to suffer setbacks, epidemiologists say.

Wow..you do watch the BBC :)    

5 hours ago, Kaduk said:

As Hasan stated in the Video he is not one of the 9 viewers of C-Span.

Chuckle...first time in the break room,went in and saw just over 30 people watching C-Span. Looking forward to watching both conventions on this channel. No commercial interruptions,no talking heads trying to explain (distort ) what was said.No pick and choose what to air and what to avoid letting the public see.

4 hours ago, Kaduk said:

Even with the recent surges, the outbreaks elsewhere are much more contained and manageable than in the U.S. The U.S. has had about 15 times as many confirmed new cases, per capita, as Canada over the past week.

See where 18 members of the Miami Marlens have tested positive for Covid-19 and have had several of their games postponed. Definite beginning of setbacks for pro sports. I can understand the desire to end cabin fever this summer.So many of our citizens simply refuse to wear masks,keep social distancing and act like getting Covid-19 will never happen to them. (expecting the next wave to be the protestors ). Yes,its easy to see why outbreaks elsewhere are much more contained....for now.

18 minutes ago, JRWolfe said:

See where 18 members of the Miami Marlens have tested positive for Covid-19 and have had several of their games postponed. Definite beginning of setbacks for pro sports. I can understand the desire to end cabin fever this summer.So many of our citizens simply refuse to wear masks,keep social distancing and act like getting Covid-19 will never happen to them. (expecting the next wave to be the protestors ). Yes,its easy to see why outbreaks elsewhere are much more contained....for now.

Well with contact tracing they’re finding it’s parties (like college kids/adults having parties) are contributing to the rise and not protests mainly because of masks being worn. Social distancing is lost for sure but the wearing of masks has helped keep protests numbers fairly low. And again, other countries have also had massive protests at the exact same time without a sharp rise like the US.

On 7/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, Bit Banger said:

I find it hilarious that folks try to blame the Pres.

Timeline of the CINC

• After the disease was in Washington state and the World Health Organization reported a high global risk, the CINC said there were no worries of a pandemic.
    • The day the stock market plummeted, the CINC said the virus was very much under control in the U.S., and the stock market was looking pretty good to him.
      • A few days after declaring a national emergency, the CINC said he had “always known” this was a pandemic. (That’s Pants on Fire.)
        • corona-tour begins in late June for the CINCs rally in Tulsa, Okla., (of course No masks No social distancing)  CINC official mandate is to not sue·

It’s difficult to have a civilized conversation when insults and derogatory names are bandied about.  I saw plenty of them for Pres. Obama, but just didn’t feel it was right to use them.  While I disapproved of his actions, I still tried to show respect for the office.  Some would say, “Salute the bars.”  While I agree that our current President has plenty of flaws, he was duly elected to the office.  Let’s act like mature adults, not a bunch of grade school kids.

This thread should be shutdown now!
Its went from what a guy was going to with Cares money............

To a place where we want to argue about politics!

Just STFU about politics!

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" has the ability to convince himself that whatever he is saying is true, or sort of true, or at least ought to be true. There are never any facts to back up his false statements the only conclusion is he lies and has no compunction for lying. Rather than say his name aloud., a "taboo" spell is placed upon the name, such that person or his followers may trace anyone who utters it. Someone who violates his oath every day and who uses the office to enrich himself and to enhance his power is “essentially an anti-president.”

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/trump-sues-the-coronavirus-for-treating-him-unfairly

4 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

It’s difficult to have a civilized conversation when insults and derogatory names are bandied about.  I saw plenty of them for Pres. Obama, but just didn’t feel it was right to use them.  While I disapproved of his actions, I still tried to show respect for the office.  Some would say, “Salute the bars.”  While I agree that our current President has plenty of flaws, he was duly elected to the office.  Let’s act like mature adults, not a bunch of grade school kids.

Here Here. Thank you Bit!

I'm not sure why this "no insults and derogatory names" rule applies when talking about the President, but does not apply to the President himself when he talks about others. #BeBest

29 minutes ago, fork said:

I'm not sure why this "no insults and derogatory names" rule applies when talking about the President, but does not apply to the President himself when he talks about others. #BeBest

It’s one of his “many flaws” I mentioned.  Why should we apply this rule to ourselves?  Because we can better people than he is,

Edited by Bit Banger

On 7/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, JRWolfe said:

See where 18 members of the Miami Marlins have tested positive for Covid-19 and have had several of their games postponed. Definite beginning of setbacks for pro sports. I can understand the desire to end cabin fever this summer.So many of our citizens simply refuse to wear masks,keep social distancing and act like getting Covid-19 will never happen to them. (expecting the next wave to be the protestors ). Yes,its easy to see why outbreaks elsewhere are much more contained....for now.

Informative article from Sports Illustrated; ·"The league is grappling with a widespread COVID-19 outbreak on the Miami Marlins".

si.com/mlb/2020/07/27/miami-marlins-covid-outbreak-testing

MLB's Worst Nightmare Is Here. They Should Have Seen It Coming

"And here we have it, the least surprising possible outcome of MLB’s decision to fly some 1,500 people around the country, from one coronavirus hotspot to another, buttressed by a hope and a prayer and instructions not to spit, in service of playing baseball: They have to stop playing baseball."

17 hours ago, Seeker5280 said:

This thread should be shutdown now!
Its went from what a guy was going to with Cares money............

To a place where we want to argue about politics!

Just STFU about politics!

Are you the new owner of the board? Run out of excuses for OP? CARES Act IS politics. But by all means ignore the things that will determine the future of our country. Never gonna sit down and shut up, love it too much for that.

34 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

.... Never gonna sit down and shut up, love it too much for that.

Agreed!

I never asked for the thread to be closed.  Only that we be more courteous.

Peace

4 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Agreed!

I never asked for the thread to be closed.  Only that we be more courteous.

Peace

Unfortunately, the extremists on TOB on both sides will never be courteous to the other sides and have an open mind...that maybe the other side may have a valid point. 

Neither side is 100% right.

I know I’m not and I try to be more moderate.

The key is respect.  Respect each other...PLEASE.

The only issue I am seeing is that some think disagreeing is disrespect - nothing could be further from the truth - and/or being direct and to the point relative to facts is discourteous - also far from the truth.  Somehow the politicians of this country and several alleged news sites have morphed to the point of intentionally and willfully making up totally fraudulent bullshit in order to support their opinion.  I am old school.  Collect all best available, truthful data and then make decisions in a logical fashion that follows the truth.  These days it has become something else -  know what position your are going to take, usually for self serving political reasons, and then make up shit to support the position.  Then get followers to believe the made up stuff and lambaste anyone that does not agree with insults and chants of fake news etc.  Much of it so ridiculous and so counter to plain science and math as to be laughable that I used to just shrug and let it go.  But critical decisions are being made based upon this stuff.  So when I see bullshit I will call bullshit.  As I have said before, two intelligent and sincere people can view the same set of legitimate facts and come to different opinions as to what we should do as a country.  I totally respect that.  The only thing I totally disrespect is fake data, and I refuse to stop calling it out for what it is.  If anyone thinks that is disrespectful, I can't help you.

2 hours ago, gr8owl said:

The only issue I am seeing is that some think disagreeing is disrespect - nothing could be further from the truth - and/or being direct and to the point relative to facts is discourteous - also far from the truth. ...

I have no problem with providing different data. Adding sources is educational.  That is how a group of people share information & opinions.

My previous post was directed at ‘Orange ...” or “O’Bummer”, type remarks.  Both of which I find equally disrespectful and not contributing to a civilized discussion.

5 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

I have no problem with providing different data. Adding sources is educational.  That is how a group of people share information & opinions.

My previous post was directed at ‘Orange ...” or “O’Bummer”, type remarks.  Both of which I find equally disrespectful and not contributing to a civilized discussion.

I agree 100% Bit.

9 hours ago, gr8owl said:

The only issue I am seeing is that some think disagreeing is disrespect - nothing could be further from the truth - and/or being direct and to the point relative to facts is discourteous - also far from the truth.  Somehow the politicians of this country and several alleged news sites have morphed to the point of intentionally and willfully making up totally fraudulent bullshit in order to support their opinion.  I am old school.  Collect all best available, truthful data and then make decisions in a logical fashion that follows the truth.  These days it has become something else -  know what position your are going to take, usually for self serving political reasons, and then make up shit to support the position.  Then get followers to believe the made up stuff and lambaste anyone that does not agree with insults and chants of fake news etc.  Much of it so ridiculous and so counter to plain science and math as to be laughable that I used to just shrug and let it go.  But critical decisions are being made based upon this stuff.  So when I see bullshit I will call bullshit.  As I have said before, two intelligent and sincere people can view the same set of legitimate facts and come to different opinions as to what we should do as a country.  I totally respect that.  The only thing I totally disrespect is fake data, and I refuse to stop calling it out for what it is.  If anyone thinks that is disrespectful, I can't help you.

In the year 2020 nothing is normal and its an insult to try to normalize it. There have been some who have tried in every way to take a productive thread off topic by interjecting comments that seem to ring true. Any attempts to promote an unrealistic illusion based on anecdotal ideas is flatly flawed and misguided.

Best defense is data driven facts from highly regarded organizational institutions in their professions. Various News Outlets having reports that include information from trusted health organizations the likes of one is John Hopkins University who has gravitated to the top of everyone's list for up-to-date information, they've been accurately noted in many a commentary sounding the alarms for truth.

One Pet project forum related that is absolute::

1. Don't Fuck with Fauci