Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AmberAustin69

Climbing for beginners?

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where to go for a short 2-3hr day hike /climb that’s not too complicated for a beginner in the Denver area?

17 hours ago, AmberAustin69 said:

Does anyone know where to go for a short 2-3hr day hike /climb that’s not too complicated for a beginner in the Denver area?

Welcome to our outdoor playground.  No shortage of trails and rocks to climb. The list from Bad Boy is excellent, done most of them myself.

if you’re looking to try some rock climbing, check these out.  The Flatirons in Boulder is a good entry level climb. No ropes or gear needed on a some of it.

https://303magazine.com/2018/05/best-rock-climbing-routes-near-denver/

Enjoy!

If you haven’t climbed before, go into one of the indoor climbing studios to get some basic skills.

There is one in south broadway and in Golden that I’m aware of. I’m sure there has to be others.

Be careful on the Flatirons if you don’t have climbing experience. It seems so easy at first, but gets progressively steeper and steeper and lots of beginners have died trying to descend when they lost their footing, and once you start tumbling, game over.

It’s a lovely climb, just look back regularly, and start down when it is still manageable.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, BadBoy said:

t’s a lovely climb, just look back regularly, and start down when it is still manageable.

When in Boulder do they refer to it as Bouldering ?

pg-0092.jpg

3 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Be careful on the Flatirons if you don’t have climbing experience. It seems so easy at first, but gets progressively steeper and steeper and lots of beginners have died trying to descend when they lost their footing, and once you start tumbling, game over.

It’s a lovely climb, just look back regularly, and start down when it is still manageable.

I wouldn't say "be careful if you don't have experience". I'd say "do not climb them if you don't have experience". Just enjoy the nearby hikes.

It's easy to see all the people romping up them without ropes and think it's easy, but it's really just an easy way for newbies to die.

Well for amazing views, still exercise but safe and requiring little real climbing skill (for beginners, right?) there is the via ferrata down here in the southern lands, but a bigger time commitment than 2-3 hours for the unfortunate souls in Denver.

https://royalgorgebridge.com/via-ferrata-rides-attractions-royal-gorge-bridge-park/

Plenty of easy climbs in Boulder canyon - just go with someone (or several someones) who know what they're doing with safety.  

Wow - that is a lot of great information. Thank you everyone! I did some "Bouldering" in Boulder and LOVED the hike. And it is sooooo dog friendly out here that I wish I had my German Shepherd to accompany me. I will stick to hikes this trip but I would love to learn to climb. I will say I am love it whenever I come out here and will be back to experience different cities and towns and check out some of these places you guys suggested. Maybe I will bring the pup and stay for awhile and bop around hiking and playing! It is a big state to explore and summer is a good time for a thin-blooded Floridian!

And yes! Keep the suggestions coming. Colorado is a hiking MECCA! :-)

A great investment I made at the beginning of my climbing career was a couple of days of professional instruction.  There are a couple of good schools based in Eldorado Canyon, near Boulder.   I worked with Exum out of Jackson, and they used to have an outpost in Eldorado, but I don't know if it is still around or who took over, if not.

They are probably all pretty good, ask around at Neptune while buying a new rope, they will give you the straight stuff.

I got my mountain training in Alaska at Camp Greeley near Delta Junction.  Then taught others in my company on MT. Washington, NH.  Climbed with the Chicago  Mountaineering Club for a few years.  Somehow I never got into serious climbing after I moved to CO. That was almost 40 years ago.