Elle Blake

Notre Dame

8 posts in this topic

I was so deeply saddened by the news to day about A place so important to history.  To think that it survived the Mid-Evil ages,  and two World Wars. 900 years.   The official house of God.   I am not a religious person.  Or most of my life, I wasn't...  I was there In June, with the only Saint I have ever known.   My Mom.   I am so grateful I was give that gift,  before today.   

Make Love,  Not War

Elle Blake

I’ve been raveling Europe for the last few years visiting old church’s like this one.   It is amazing how fragile they truly are, being built 800  -  900 years ago 

Super sad. Was over there last summer with family, so glad the kids got to see it and will hopefully remember it. It will be rebuilt,  but will.never be the same.

Very sad we all need to keep our historical buildings and parks alive! Agree with you totally- Elle Blake you beautiful lady!❤️ 

Yes, sad, but will take a Devil's advocate position re: "never be the same".

Broadly, never was the same since about 1300s. The spire that fell was added in 1800s renovation. As was the gargoyles. And a good chunk of the stained glass. Was pretty much gutted during the French Revolution.

You see something old in Europe, good chance it's reconstructed due to WW-2 and other wars from days gone by.

White House, burned down during War of 1812, rebuilt, gutted and rebuilt during Truman administration.

These old places/buildings have cycles of birth/re-birth. Never truly the same, yet are still special places.

Rebirth is on going. I was lucky enough to live in Europe for a total of 9 years (3+6). Got to see Ma NY of the treasures - buildings, art, scenery. This was a wonderful building as a place of worship.