Anyone?

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone here RECENTLY taken the LSAT? Looking for some pointers to study. Yep, Melissa is going to law school

I suggest taking a prep course and take as many practice tests as you can.   

I used to teach an LSAT prep course. Honestly, if you have enough discipline, you can just get a good study book (read the amazon reviews) and do it yourself. What I found was a lot of people without much self discipline used the course as a commitment mechanism, i.e. "I paid so much for this, I better study and do my homework"

There are Prep Courses on DVD's that help with all the different testing (LSAT, ACT, SAT, etc.)

You can also take online Prep Course's and practice tests.

GOOD LUCK!!!

The prep courses are out there.  Start with a search on Amazon.

Oh Melissa!  I pity any poor, dumb, Sumbitch that has to face you in court!  Be gentle as you disembowel them!

I have to swear by the Kaplan in-person (i.e., not online) prep course. 

More to the point: before you invest three years (or more) of your life and $100,000.00, look carefully into the opportunities that are actually open to new lawyers, as well as the employment rate for new lawyers.  It ain't the good old days anymore.  Not to be the wet blanket, but just saying: do your research, and don't take on debt.

Yes I already got the prep books. AND, I'm very, very aware of the debt I'll be in, the time and lack of sleep. I'm interested in environmental law. Someone has to be on the front lines fighting the liberal wacko's against climate change.  Halliburton, exon, BP, etc they all need lawyers too......lol! Oh and UCCS Boulder has an employment rate of graduates at 93%, so cheers. I'm going to an upcoming seminar, meeting with professors, going in wide open.

So, anyone taken the test? I'm curious if it's like the practice tests? 

Yes all the analytics and logic that your brain can desires. Questions are similar to prep as they are usually taken from prior exams, just a different environment when the pressure is on. 

8 minutes ago, ironman318 said:

Yes all the analytics and logic that your brain can desires. Questions are similar to prep as they are usually taken from prior exams, just a different environment when the pressure is on. 

Ok cool thank you!

Melissa... talk with with students who are studying for the BAR in Colorado Springs. Maybe  Colorado College or state colleges? 

Good Luck to you, Melissa as you approach the LSAT. Becoming an Attorney at Law is quite an accomplishment...congrats!

I must echo all the thoughts and suggestions given here. And by your response "Melissa" I think you have done your due diligence in preparing for the boards. So good luck and knock em dead, you will do just fine.

21 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Has anyone here RECENTLY taken the LSAT? Looking for some pointers to study. Yep, Melissa is going to law school

This would break entirely new ground - an attorney that I like !!

You go Melissa!

1 hour ago, gr8owl said:

This would break entirely new ground - an attorney that I like !!

You go Melissa!

Lol...well that makes me smile! Just an fyi, Boulder only accepts a small 170 out of 3,000 applications. My chances are slim, which means......I'll be headed out of state. But hey 10 months at the earliest.  

On 10/3/2016 at 3:48 PM, Melissa Sterling said:

No, about 20 years ago, though I doubt it's much different. Take it and then take it again. You'll do much better the second time. All logic. 

Too many lawyers now. Very boring work for me, so I went into Medicine. Forget the TV shows about lawyer work, it's nothing like that.

On 10/3/2016 at 3:48 PM, Melissa Sterling said:

Well now....  how great would it be to get screwed by an attorney and have that be a GOOD thing?? ;)

Well after the field trip I had today for environmental geology, I am taking this way more seriously! People here building their houses on the sides of mountains...yikes. over 50 houses in the springs getting condemned and the city is still encouraging building even though they know it's in a landslide area. So, if I don't do law (largely due to debt) I will do something in land management/policy. These people are getting fucked, and not in a good way. Multi million dollar homes, such a shame.

19 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

Well now....  how great would it be to get screwed by an attorney and have that be a GOOD thing?? ;)

You'd be surprised how many people appear to enjoy being screwed by an attorney.  The DATY isn't bad either B)

If you've picked out your prep materials, the rest is pretty straightforward.

The key is to peak your preparation right before the test date. Overpreparing can be nearly as bad as underpreparing. Browsing the prep materials should give you an idea of how much time you need. I'd probably start spending half days working on prep two weeks before the test, but as people on The Other Board often say, YMMV. 

Take the night before the test off, go to dinner and to see a good movie. Have all the peripheral stuff worked out by then, route, transport, etc. Take something with you to eat at halftime or you'll wish you had.

During the test, maintaining focus will result in peak performance. Find a seat where you'll encounter minimal distraction. For me, that meant I always had to distance myself from pretty girls.

My advice, worth every penny you paid for it. You'll do fine. Good luck to you, Melissa! The legal profession needs more people like you.

On 10/4/2016 at 3:24 PM, Melissa Sterling said:

Lol...well that makes me smile! Just an fyi, Boulder only accepts a small 170 out of 3,000 applications. My chances are slim, which means......I'll be headed out of state. But hey 10 months at the earliest.  

And I bet you are a shoo in!

I'm "pulling for you pretty and SMART lady!!!!!!"

Take the gloves off and kick some ass!!!!

You HAVE THIS!