Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gr8owl

another phone PSA

19 posts in this topic

Not that there have not been ample reasons given previously for ONLY using a hobby phone for this (ladies and johns) and a different phone for real life but here is another. There is now a website that has purchased and posted all colorado voter registration information. So what you say? For openers some voter registration forms include phone number, cell phone, etc. as optional info. They all require address, age, etc. Sooooo, yes I have run into a couple BP'ers so far that gave their cell phone info to register to vote and use same number in ads. Any fool can have their real name, address, etc. in two seconds. Ditto you guys .... not sure why you would even give your number when registering, but if you do (did) for god sakes use a different phone to hobby. You have been warned. Be safe out there. :)

Not that there have not been ample reasons given previously for ONLY using a hobby phone for this (ladies and johns) and a different phone for real life but here is another. There is now a website that has purchased and posted all colorado voter registration information. So what you say? For openers some voter registration forms include phone number, cell phone, etc. as optional info. They all require address, age, etc. Sooooo, yes I have run into a couple BP'ers so far that gave their cell phone info to register to vote and use same number in ads. Any fool can have their real name, address, etc. in two seconds. Ditto you guys .... not sure why you would even give your number when registering, but if you do (did) for god sakes use a different phone to hobby. You have been warned. Be safe out there. :)

Thank you.

A link to this "voter registration" site might be shared- if it really exists!

Sounds like another urban myth to me.

A link to this "voter registration" site might be shared- if it really exists!

Sounds like another urban myth to me.

I though that too. I searched I could not find anything :confused:

Related point for providers (although probably applies to none on this board): posting your actual, personal Facebook pictures on your provider ad = pretty bad idea. Especially if you haven't quite gotten around to telling friends and family what it is you do for a living, and would prefer to do that in your own way/time.

I was talking to a provider about this a while back after a session. Once I told her about TinEye and Google Image Search, the pics came down real quick.

I do not deal in rumor or urban legend. I debated whether to post just the warning or include a link. I do not like posting links that could do more harm than good so I went with just the warning. After a couple individual warnings and the post here have time to soak in - say week or so - I will gladly post a link. Meantime, believe it or don't but please act as though I know what I am talking about and put your phone and e-mail, etc. houses in order if they are not already. Or wait and someone else will find it and post a link. :(

When I used my "real" phone, I called a lady and she said, "are you (name)?" I stammer. Why yes. How did you know? She googled my phone number and the info was out there.

Two lessons:

1) remove that crap from common, easy to get info sites

2) stop using my real phone

i don't know if anyone's posted that info publicly, but i do know the Secretary of State sells voter reg info.

"The Secretary of State also sold voter registration information — including names, addresses and political party affiliation of voters — for $58,000, last year"

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/08/26/sales-of-public-data-to-marketers-can-mean-big-for-governments/

Correct, it isn't anything new that voter registration information (which may include phone number) is available to the public. The Colorado registered voter list can be purchased for a modest price of $50 (such a deal). Here's a question and answer on the Colorado Secretary of State website:

http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/FAQs/GeneralRegistrationData.html

Q2. What information about voters is publicly available?

A2. Information is provided by citizens at the time they register to vote. Some of this information is then generally available. This includes: full name; residential address; party affiliation and date of affiliation; phone number (if provided by the voter); gender; birth year; and, information about whether a voter has voted in prior elections

Statewide Registered Voter List (EX-003) $50.00

The only new information in this thread is that some website (which isn't super easy to find in a Google search, at least not yet) has "posted" the Colorado voter list, making it available without cost. Mildly interesting if true - I see the OP has promised to post the link eventually.

I do not deal in rumor or urban legend. I debated whether to post just the warning or include a link. I do not like posting links that could do more harm than good so I went with just the warning. After a couple individual warnings and the post here have time to soak in - say week or so - I will gladly post a link. Meantime, believe it or don't but please act as though I know what I am talking about and put your phone and e-mail, etc. houses in order if they are not already. Or wait and someone else will find it and post a link. :(

I wasn't picking on you and didn't imply that you didn't know what you are talking about. Warnings without links just seem like fear mongering that's all. It's noting personal.

Correct, it isn't anything new that voter registration information (which may include phone number) is available to the public. The Colorado registered voter list can be purchased for a modest price of $50 (such a deal). Here's a question and answer on the Colorado Secretary of State website:

http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/FAQs/GeneralRegistrationData.html

The only new information in this thread is that some website (which isn't super easy to find in a Google search, at least not yet) has "posted" the Colorado voter list, making it available without cost. Mildly interesting if true - I see the OP has promised to post the link eventually.

http://coloradovoters.info zzz

i don't know if anyone's posted that info publicly,

ummm, yes, or I would not have done the original post

Correct, it isn't anything new

Quite true. What is new is that you don't have to pay for it, you don't need to know the name you are looking for, you don't need to search manually through bunches of info, and to the MAIN point - you can search effortlessly from cpomfort of home and if you search on a providers ad number (or client you are trying to verify) and she has used it to register it will pop up the whole package including her real name, address etc. even if you don't know the site exists. That to me was a big change worth pointing out. So, you are as usual absolutely correct, but I still thought this was significant enough to post on because of the ease of use - meaning a lot of people will use this that had no idea the info even existed.

yes, that is the link I was holding off on till hopefully at least a few folks took the hint and put their house in order. But thank you for your fascinating, in depth and very useful comment. :cool:

older post but questions about a hobby phone, any suggestions on where to get one? I had one for years for an old company that went out of business I did contract work for and they just kept paying the bill, so I used it. No way to tie it back to me, it was a loaner and was never linked to my name.

Anyhow now i need to get one so do i get a prepaid (in cash) at King Soopers\etc or is there a better method?

Feel free to PM me if its better.. thanks!

I got a phone at Wal-mart and a pre-paid T-mobile card. You can get refill cards at most gas stations.

Another time I got a SIM card at the T-mobile store itself for an existing phone I had. They actually wanted name and address info. I was kind of pushy, saying "what do you need that info for ... it's prepaid, there's no bill to send me, I'm paying cash, etc". I pretty much told them I was giving them a fake name, and I did, and they kind of just laughed it off.

When I bought the Wal-mart phone, there was no questions asked about name or address.

Thanks for the info and PMs.. I've found several good methods to move forward with.

Thanks again!

AT&T has a 15 buck prepay phone no name required costs 10 cents a min and 20 cent for text. Min are good for 30 days. May not be what your looking for if your not very active but the least you can put on it is 10 bucks I think