Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2Big

"Masters of Sex"

37 posts in this topic

Anybody watching this? It's pretty good and quite graphic, and the second episode takes place in a brothel.

I've seen both episodes. Interesting...will have to see where it eventually leads to.

i'm wondering if the depiction is it basically historically correct?

Anybody watching this? It's pretty good and quite graphic, and the second episode takes place in a brothel.

The show annoys the HELL out of me, and I haven't even seen it.

I've worked in psych for a LONG time and read all of Masters and Johnson, who are famous in psych. They were very smart, but an ugly couple, who were basically just bland psych researchers. They weren't "Madmen" wearing tuxes and partying it up.

In addition, their work wasn't "sexy" but rather focused on trying to help people, mostly with anxiety problems. The commercial gave me a rage problem, which wasn't in their field or study.

Thankfully, I know how to cure that, don't watch the show.

I've worked in psych for a LONG time and read all of Masters and Johnson, who are famous in psych. They were very smart, but an ugly couple, who were basically just bland psych researchers. They weren't "Madmen" wearing tuxes and partying it up.

In addition, their work wasn't "sexy" but rather focused on trying to help people, mostly with anxiety problems. The commercial gave me a rage problem, which wasn't in their field or study.

Hell no!!!

Interesting that you are able to form the basis of opinion without even watching the piece in question.:rolleyes:

It is based on a bio of Wm. Masters, and while I'm sure there is some dramatic license, if the dramatization inspires interest, there are ample resources to get the "real deal".

Admittedly, I've only seen the 1st episode thus far; but I am a huge fan of cable based historical dramas, and find it very entertaining.

I've seen both episodes. Interesting...will have to see where it eventually leads to.

I'm just happy to see Michael Sheen not playing a Vampire...

I have not yet seen the episodes yet, but it does look to have an intriguing cast. I will watch it & probably get hooked on it....

masters-of-sex-ulysses-dame_0.gif

I really like it. Im sure its highly dramatized but I still like it. Personally Im a Kinsey fan, he was the real pioneer but Masters and Johnson really did a lot to further our understanding of sexuality.

The show is not supposed to be an accurate depiction. That would be boring as fuck.

Back in the good old days, a blowjob was a reward, and the chances of finding a girl who would take it in the shitter were one in a million. Oh, how times have changed.:cool:

Lithium is available for your rage problem.

Before you blow a manifold gasket and have not even seen an episode, google the Showtime website and watch the first program for free. I too have read quite a bit about their research and find the program very interesting. They are not portrayed as sex- crazed madmen but as very caring individuals whose only goal was research. There is plenty of T & A included for this crowd. The commericals have to be on edge for the titillation factor to hook the average viewer.

Dr. William Masters personality is accurately portrayed as being as exciting as dry wall paper.

Good show.

The show is not supposed to be an accurate depiction. That would be boring as fuck.

Back in the good old days, a blowjob was a reward, and the chances of finding a girl who would take it in the shitter were one in a million. Oh, how times have changed.:cool:

Back in the day; it was supposed, that a guy would be lucky enough one day out of the year to get a BJ...

AnD
that was on his Birthday....

• Now a days they call that March 14th...
    :P

Interesting that you are able to form the basis of opinion without even watching the piece in question.:rolleyes:

It is based on a bio of Wm. Masters, and while I'm sure there is some dramatic license, if the dramatization inspires interest, there are ample resources to get the "real deal".

Admittedly, I've only seen the 1st episode thus far; but I am a huge fan of cable based historical dramas, and find it very entertaining.

Give me a break.

They're trying to make the show glamorous and there's nothing remotely glamorous about it. You're extremely naive and trusting if you believe all the stories on TV are facts.

I do admit, that must be a fun way to live life.

On a related note, I went to see Rush this weekend and the story centered on two race car drivers hating each other. I went home and read about the two men and it turned out they were roommates who really liked each other.

Everything in the media is bullshit.

Lithium is available for your rage problem.

It makes you fat and is a metabolic poison.

I'll stick to watching the Discovery Channel.

It's bizarre to me that real people, who are dead, get turned into Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Why not have Master and Johnson as alien androids come to help humanity?

The deal is that they are greats in their field, they were not handsome, slick, or pretty, and yet they did historic things in psych. If that story, as it is, isn't good enough then write a fictional account of people like them and sex is up.

I'd be fine with that.

gotta hand it to you, 2b, sometimes you come in handy. i'd have never seen this one coming but thanks for the head's up. will save me a fortune in netflix subscription money (all the better to hobby with) and i'm getting in on the ground floor!

<obsequious font off>

Give me a break.

They're trying to make the show glamorous and there's nothing remotely glamorous about it. You're extremely naive and trusting if you believe all the stories on TV are facts.

I do admit, that must be a fun way to live life.

On a related note, I went to see Rush this weekend and the story centered on two race car drivers hating each other. I went home and read about the two men and it turned out they were roommates who really liked each other.

Everything in the media is bullshit.

Read it again.

I never claimed that it was historically accurate, just entertaining.

However, thank you for making my point for me with your incisive analysis of the movie Rush. You saw the dramatization, it inspired further interest so you went to the Net to get the real deal.

I really like it. Im sure its highly dramatized but I still like it. Personally Im a Kinsey fan, he was the real pioneer but Masters and Johnson really did a lot to further our understanding of sexuality.

I agree ....the thing which drives me crazy that women played with their clit since the stone age (I would assume) so how come no body talk about the importance of the clit for achieving orgasm before Kinsey did in the 1950s.

Any woman with clit and a hand (or vibrator) will tell you that.

Women of TOB I am dying to know.I thought about starting a new thread about the topic,however , I was afraid I would be accused of hijacking the thread.

Read it again.

I never claimed that it was historically accurate, just entertaining.

However, thank you for making my point for me with your incisive analysis of the movie Rush. You saw the dramatization, it inspired further interest so you went to the Net to get the real deal.

Sure, good points, but didn't Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter piss you off a little?

I've always been a big Abe fan and the disrespect was to much!

I agree ....the thing which drives me crazy that women played with their clit since the stone age (I would assume) so how come no body talk about the importance of the clit for achieving orgasm before Kinsey did in the 1950s.

Any woman with clit and a hand (or vibrator) will tell you that.

Women of TOB I am dying to know.I thought about starting a new thread about the topic,however , I was afraid I would be accused of hijacking the thread.

Remember, in psychology we deal with people who have PROBLEMS meaning past trauma, weird family backgrounds that taught them nonsense about life, and neurotics. Being neurotic means doing the exact opposite of what YOU know is the correct thing.

That would be something like smoking daily while knowing and feeling that it's making you sick.

So, billions of women back then were playing with, and getting their clit, played with. But, women with mental blocks about sex or those living in shame couldn't have an orgasm due to not touching it, extreme anxiety, guilt, and so on. Religion and conservative behavior tends to be embraced by the middle class, not the rich or poor. Religion and conservative behavior are control techniques to keep money and women in the middle class. So, women got taught that sexual behaviors are bad, basically to keep them at home in a working role. Also, it keep them in the religious/economic group so that the men that control the groups can have stable of women, scared, nervous, and ignorant ones. You fill their heads with bullshit and then they're mentally paralyzed.

So, regarding sex, women were taught that "good", the clit/orgasms, are "bad". If you teach people that good is bad, you automatically induce mental illness, and can control the person through guilt and self-doubt.

Also, in psychology, due to the nonsense Freud pushed, a "clitoral orgasm" was seen as "childish" and a "vaginal orgasm" was supposed to be mature.

Meanwhile, there really is no such thing as a vaginal orgasm. But, in the 19th and early 20th century there was a lot of anti-masturbation talk. That's why Freud considered a clitoral orgasm "childish" because it's something kids due while getting pleasure from a penis was adult to him. Doctors used to even burn the clit out of the body to reduce sexual drive in females. So, there was this weird trend to ignore or vilify the clitoris.

That was typically in upper middle-class people who still today fall for all kinds of psychology and medical trendiness. I think it makes, especially rich women, feel like life is controlled through science (a religion to them) when in fact life is a random shitfest.

Back to Master and Johnson, in reality, they were primarily focused on males who had anxiety induced ED, not females. There's not a lot about women in their work and it's not what they're about. I think it's weird how women are always eroticized in the media, even if they're frigid, but a super nervous guy with ED would probably be used as comedy.

Anyway, they discovered that most males with ED had a kind of stage fright. They overthought sex, got anxious, saw themselves as impotent, then that created a vicious circle of anxiety and failure. The solution was to have couple focus on relaxing together and not just "doing" the sex act.

Fairly simple.

Your posts have given me a GREAT Idea!

Howz this for a great movie title:

Masters and Johnson and Zombies!

Yeah! I'm calling my agent now!

See below.

Well...

I actually liked Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, both the print and film versions. However, my "suspension of disbelief" faculty is fully intact, and I also enjoyed the print versions of:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies(sorry grits, someone else beat ya to it),

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters,

And Android Karenina.

Zombigasm?

If you can find pictures of Masters when he got older, he looked a lot like a newly dead zombie with the same personality. Maybe his wife will keep their marriage together, and avoid being eaten, by figuring out how to stimulate his undead flesh.

Eddie Murphy does the voice of a talking Fleshlight!

Well...

I actually liked Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, both the print and film versions. However, my "suspension of disbelief" faculty is fully intact, and I also enjoyed the print versions of:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies(sorry grits, someone else beat ya to it),

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters,

And Android Karenina.

Dude, you're a better man than me.

Maybe when a holocaust comedy adventure movie comes out we'll go see it together and I'll learn a thing or two from you.

So, regarding sex, women were taught that "good", the clit/orgasms, are "bad". If you teach people that good is bad, you automatically induce mental illness, and can control the person through guilt and self-doubt.

Also, in psychology, due to the nonsense Freud pushed, a "clitoral orgasm" was seen as "childish" and a "vaginal orgasm" was supposed to be mature.

Meanwhile, there really is no such thing as a vaginal orgasm. But, in the 19th and early 20th century there was a lot of anti-masturbation talk.

Fairly simple.

I see your point , however , vibrators were used to treat hysteria in women.!

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/m/maines-technology.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201303/hysteria-and-the-strange-history-vibrators

((Mention vibrators, and most people immediately think of women’s sexual pleasure. And no wonder: An estimated one-third of adult American women now own at least one. Clitoral stimulation with vibrators produces orgasms reliably even in women who have difficulty experiencing them in other ways. And women who use vibrators consistently report sexual enhancement in both solo and partner sex.

But ironically, women's sexual pleasure was the furthest thing from the minds of the male doctors who invented vibrators almost two centuries ago. They were interested in a labor-saving device to spare their hands the fatigue they developed giving handjobs to a steady stream of 19th century ladies who suffered from “hysteria,” a vaguely defined ailment easily recognizable today as sexual frustration. Therein hangs a strange tale that provides quirky insights into both the history of sex toys, and cultural notions about women’s sexuality))

I wonder if Dweller was this pissed about the movie Kinsey....

Tina, I had to remove my wallet from my pants and insert it into my mouth to avoid mangling my tongue. After the movie, a new wallet was in order, and some mouthwash because that was a pretty old wallet.

Kinsey was a crazy fraud and completely disrespected in psychology, by the way.

I'm a huge Liam Neeson fan and that made it all so much worse.

I see your point , however , vibrators were used to treat hysteria in women.!

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/m/maines-technology.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201303/hysteria-and-the-strange-history-vibrators

((Mention vibrators, and most people immediately think of women’s sexual pleasure. And no wonder: An estimated one-third of adult American women now own at least one. Clitoral stimulation with vibrators produces orgasms reliably even in women who have difficulty experiencing them in other ways. And women who use vibrators consistently report sexual enhancement in both solo and partner sex.

But ironically, women's sexual pleasure was the furthest thing from the minds of the male doctors who invented vibrators almost two centuries ago. They were interested in a labor-saving device to spare their hands the fatigue they developed giving handjobs to a steady stream of 19th century ladies who suffered from “hysteria,” a vaguely defined ailment easily recognizable today as sexual frustration. Therein hangs a strange tale that provides quirky insights into both the history of sex toys, and cultural notions about women’s sexuality))

That's correct, as was bicycle riding for the clitoral stimulation, (is that true ladies?), as was massage of the area with oil. THAT was suggested all the way back in Greek time where "sweet smelling oil" was used to make the experience.

I must admit, I love saying "sweet smelling oil" for some reason.

But, just like today, it's really worse today, in the late 19th and early 20th using sexual stimulation was very fringe. I can't think of anyone in psych who would dare to suggest that a woman needs an orgasm on a regular basis because the lack of one is the source of mental distress. If I did that it result in my immediate destruction.

Psychology is heavily dominated by bourgeois values which stress "illness" and "science", dangerous drugs, over human solutions. But, I always suggest forms of fun, communication, playing, and especially exercise but nearly all clients want drugs and believe they are magical solutions.

Orgasms will not be prescribed until another epoch arrives.

However, the smart people on this board know better!

That's correct, as was bicycle riding for the clitoral stimulation, (is that true ladies?), .

!

I dated a woman who was addicted to horse riding lmao . According to her it is TRUE.

I dated a woman who was addicted to horse riding lmao . According to her it is TRUE.

Oh man, women and the horse thing.

I'm sure that and dominating a giant creature is the reason so many girls love horses.

... a woman [person] needs an orgasm on a regular basis because the lack of one is the source of mental distress. ...

However, the smart people on this board know better!

I can attest to the effectiveness of this treatment.