Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

cloudy head light lens

13 posts in this topic

Really, fogged and cloudy. I would love any suggestion from any of you about the best product to buy. I have tried the toothpaste, baking soda, and several other "home remedies and achieved little, to no, results. 

Beautiful day, warm and sunny. Good day to be outside in sunshine spiffing up Nellie Bell. 

2009 Chevy Silverado with 188,462 miles on. She has her battle scares but still runs like a top. Every once in a while, I get "new truck fever" but I now, I am determined to get 200,000 out of her . As long as I can see where I am going at night. Have a great day!!

20 minutes ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Really, fogged and cloudy. I would love any suggestion from any of you about the best product to buy. I have tried the toothpaste, baking soda, and several other "home remedies and achieved little, to no, results. 

Beautiful day, warm and sunny. Good day to be outside in sunshine spiffing up Nellie Bell. 

2009 Chevy Silverado with 188,462 miles on. She has her battle scares but still runs like a top. Every once in a while, I get "new truck fever" but I now, I am determined to get 200,000 out of her . As long as I can see where I am going at night. Have a great day!!

The problem is some form oxidation and the headlight film or plastic is breaking down. There are some products you can buy that essentially remove a layer but you’ll end having to do it again and again. The “best” solution would be to replace the headlights. eBay or just a general google search will give you parts. I did it on my old dodge. 

https://www.carparts.com/details/Chevrolet/Silverado_1500/Replacement/Headlight/2009/SET-C100177.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=20161732550&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzaSwlY-ahQMVEMzCBB0AkwWDEAQYASABEgIZuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

I used a 3M headlight restoration kit.  Used it three years ago on badly clouded covers on my pickup.  Still look great as we speak. You will need a hand held power drill but other than that everything you should need is in the kit.  It includes a sealant after done polishing etc. which I think makes a difference for longevity. Follow the directions and it takes a bit but very well worth it.

Wd40. Trust me. 😊

If not replacing the lens, then it's a two part fix. 

The first is to remove the oxidized UV coating on the plastic.  That's what the sandpaper does.  Then since it's scratched up the plastic, it looks terrible, even after going down to really fine sandpaper. 

That's OK though... the second part is what makes it look brand new.  The new UV coating goes on fills all the microscopic scratches so now the light passes through straight, and it looks clear as new again.

I've had the best luck with the Cerakote headlight kit.  Any of the good rated ones work well though.

No matter what though, it needs redone every few years because the UV will always damage any coating as it ages.  The fix takes what 15 bucks and 30 minutes every 4-5 years.  It takes longer for me to do the oil change on my truck.

The home remedies mostly do the first part: abrade off the old UV coating.  That doesn't replace it, which is only from the kits.

I have tried many different products and ways to polish the headlights.  Nothing lasts.  Even the clear coat for plastic doesn't last long.  Just pony up the money and buy Eagle Eyes headlights.  They are available on eBay and will be the last headlights you buy.  I just put a set on a neighbors Silverado.  

2 hours ago, inkspot said:

I have tried many different products and ways to polish the headlights.  Nothing lasts.  Even the clear coat for plastic doesn't last long.  Just pony up the money and buy Eagle Eyes headlights.  They are available on eBay and will be the last headlights you buy.  I just put a set on a neighbors Silverado.  

Like I said - 3M - three years later still look and work great. 

Would take a lot of years to get up to the price of replacement assemblies when the only problem is the cover is hazy.

I have used  Meguiar's headlight restoration kit ! Works EXCELLENT, quite frankly I think you could just use a little rubbing compound and polishing compound. Just a little buffing (elbow grease ) such a small area it will be 98% better in no time.

Unless you have glass headlights, they will deteriorate due to UV from the sun, which is why there is a coating on the plastic lenses from the factory.  It works like a sacrificial anode in your hot water tank, it takes the UV damage so the plastic doesn't.  So you either replace your whole headlamp assembly, or clean and reapply the UV coating.

I’ve used the kit made by Meguiar's. As mentioned, it was a 2 step process, but worked well. Good luck

19 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

I’ve used the kit made by Meguiar's. As mentioned, it was a 2 step process, but worked well. Good luck

I also used the Meguiar's kit and it worked great.  It took some time but well worth it.

Thank you to each of you!!

I settled on Meguiar's. Worked pretty well. Little elbow grease, a couple of cold beers and waala! I am pleased!!

The young lady who sold it to me also suggested a coat of Turtle Wax once I completed the restoration process. She said her dad always applies it after he does the restoration on all of their cars.

On to the two hundred thousand miles!!!

If you've never watched this channel before, he does hardcore testing and comparison of tons of different products, and here he's covered the headlight kits!