Savoir Faire

Fish Tank

18 posts in this topic

I have been working so much that I have put off buying/setting up a brand new FISH TANK. I am thinking about going with a 75 gallon tank but there is one small problem. That problem is where in my house am I going to set it up? I am slightly worried about the smell of a dirty tank LOL being exposed to my GUEST. Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be appreciated...............

Definitely not in front of a window😳, away from the cat and bird.

If your first fear is the smell a fish tank of that size may not be for you...😂😂😂

They have self cleaning tanks, to a point. Talk with your local aquarium store and they can tell you what animals will help keep it clean....I believe snails are one kind of aquatic animal that will help aid to keep it clean. 

The key to successful aquariums is the filter you select and must maintain.  A excellent quality air pump is also a necessity. Once you get the tank balanced, once a week maintenance will keep the fish happy and the water clear. The big thing is don't over feed the fish.  I used to have 37 tanks at on time. 

1 hour ago, inkspot said:

The key to successful aquariums is the filter you select and must maintain.  A excellent quality air pump is also a necessity. Once you get the tank balanced, once a week maintenance will keep the fish happy and the water clear. The big thing is don't over feed the fish.  I used to have 37 tanks at on time. 

You must have had every cat the the neighborhood hanging around at night.

On 4/13/2023 at 5:37 PM, Audrey Astor said:

Definitely not in front of a window😳, away from the cat and bird.

I don't have any cats/birds, so I got those all taken care of. I am struggling with do I put it in my family room or in one of my bedrooms? 

On 4/13/2023 at 5:46 PM, MeganMarie4u said:

If your first fear is the smell a fish tank of that size may not be for you...😂😂😂

M&M I have had a few 55 gallon tanks before. I usually keep them clean its just sometimes when you are around the tanks all of the time, you get use to the smell versus your guest being able to smell it as soon as they come in contact. Okay, this is something that just happened to me the other day. I went to visit one of my friends and as soon as I walked in the door, her house had an unpleasant smell to it. Later I found it that it was whatever she was cooking for dinner. The reason I know is because she put some in a container for me and on the way home, my vehicle smelled like it for days later. I just love my female friends that cook for me..........

2 hours ago, inkspot said:

37 tanks, what the fuck? Where did you maintain all of these tanks? I usually have a couple filters going for the 55 gallon, not sure if I will have 3 going for my 75 or so. Now I did not do once a week maintenance. But I did have a few algae eaters LOL, those are my guys, they do a hell of a job. As far as over feeding, yeah I noticed when I fed them gold fish, my tank stayed nasty. 

On 4/13/2023 at 6:11 PM, Steve Rogers said:

They have self cleaning tanks, to a point. Talk with your local aquarium store and they can tell you what animals will help keep it clean....I believe snails are one kind of aquatic animal that will help aid to keep it clean. 

Mr Rogers I am going to have to look up the self cleaning tanks, I have never heard of them before. I have never had snails but I am a huge fan of algae eaters for sure. I will definitely look into this............

Never mess with snails…they will get out of the tanks.

Always go with 2-3 Plecostomous (I know I didn’t spell it correctly).  I add them after a tank has up and running roughly 3-4 weeks.

I used to breed Angels and sell them to Pet City many years ago.

Had tanks for Ciclids, a couple salt water tanks, large Oscars( 8+”) and an Arowanna.

Finally got tired of it and sold all my tanks.

6 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

Never mess with snails…they will get out of the tanks.

Always go with 2-3 Plecostomous (I know I didn’t spell it correctly).  I add them after a tank has up and running roughly 3-4 weeks.

I used to breed Angels and sell them to Pet City many years ago.

Had tanks for Ciclids, a couple salt water tanks, large Oscars( 8+”) and an Arowanna.

Finally got tired of it and sold all my tanks.

How did you keep the Arowanna in the tank?  Those damn things get out through the smallest opening.  I would find one on the floor the next morning.  Expensive lesson.

1 hour ago, inkspot said:

How did you keep the Arowanna in the tank?  Those damn things get out through the smallest opening.  I would find one on the floor the next morning.  Expensive lesson.

This thing was close to 12” long 😳.

it only ate from the surface of the water.

We might be talking about 2 different fish here.

Tried the fish tank thing, but, wasn't for me. If it's not somewhere that's not used often enough, it  easy to forget about and it just wasn't fare to the fish. A friend of mine had, six, hundred gallon tanks and couldn't figure out haw he did it. 

1 hour ago, tide32 said:

Tried the fish tank thing, but, wasn't for me. If it's not somewhere that's not used often enough, it  easy to forget about and it just wasn't fare to the fish. A friend of mine had, six, hundred gallon tanks and couldn't figure out haw he did it. 

I don't know why but I loved my fish tanks. I tended to them every single day. My Jack Dempsy was something else. He ran the entire tank which included 7 other fish that were 5 times his size. They would be stuck in the corner and they didn't want any parts of that Jack Dempsy LOL. But, everybody knows how the story goes with The Big Bad Bully, your day is coming, its just a matter of when. 

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I bought a 75 gallon fish tank at the beginning of May and believe it or not, its still in an unopened box sitting on a table stand. Now I am sure some are going to wonder why I haven't set it up yet and my answer is going to be VERY SIMPLE. I AM A SINGLE MAN LOL................. I will get to it one of these days when I have time....................... 

OK, just say this, I have 4 happy aquariums. 2 verry very happy reef tanks and two happy planted tanks. I've made a lot of money over the years breeding fish and propagating corals. If anyone has any questions on this fun hobby, please feel free to reach out to out to me. I've been doing this for 40+ years.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:12 AM, Savoir Faire said:

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I bought a 75 gallon fish tank at the beginning of May and believe it or not, its still in an unopened box sitting on a table stand. Now I am sure some are going to wonder why I haven't set it up yet and my answer is going to be VERY SIMPLE. I AM A SINGLE MAN LOL................. I will get to it one of these days when I have time....................... 

Yep, I get that for sure!

Hit me up when you decide to set it up.