Savoir Faire

Miles

30 posts in this topic

What is the most miles you have put/driven on a car that you owned?

About 210k.  The repairs after that were too expensive to make repairing it worthwhile.

Last September I traded in my 2010 Ford Explorer.  327k miles on it.  People always told me it almost new inside and out.

It needed a right front ball joint and left rear CV axle.  Roughly $1k to fix.  Since I haven't had any work done on the engine and the transmission, I wondered what else would go wrong and decided to look for a newer vehicle.

Still own a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500. Bought it brand new as a "work truck". 360K on it. Keep it at my property outside of West Cliff. Has some well-earned battle scares but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:14 AM, average1 said:

About 210k.  The repairs after that were too expensive to make repairing it worthwhile.

AVG the longer you keep them the more it pays you back. So I am guessing you got rid of it and replaced it with something else?

On 6/22/2022 at 9:03 AM, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Still own a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500. Bought it brand new as a "work truck". 360K on it. Keep it at my property outside of West Cliff. Has some well-earned battle scares but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country.

OTG wow.........No replaced transmission or other work done to it? What kind of oil are you using? What a blessing to buy something as a work truck and it turn out to be a healthy investment....................

On 6/22/2022 at 6:49 AM, ilovewomen said:

Last September I traded in my 2010 Ford Explorer.  327k miles on it.  People always told me it almost new inside and out.

It needed a right front ball joint and left rear CV axle.  Roughly $1k to fix.  Since I haven't had any work done on the engine and the transmission, I wondered what else would go wrong and decided to look for a newer vehicle.

ILW those Fords are notorious for transmissions going out at 100 to 125K miles. What a blessing to get that many miles with roughly no engine work being done. I am guessing you took awesome care of it since it looked new inside/out ......

On 6/22/2022 at 1:18 AM, Johnny Shakes said:

Ahh.. Last month About I 417k. the repairs both of bumbper and front side

Shakes jeesh................................that is awesome, no engine work huh? 

I got 465K on mine but I don't have that vehicle anymore. Of course 90 percent of the miles were all HIGHWAY/INTERSTATE.................... I remember when I first hit 200K on it, I was all smiles and I had no idea I would keep it some 265K miles later......................

234k for me, got it with 114k on it. Lasted me almost 16 years. She was a good car. The cost of repairs to keep her running would have been worth more than the car. Had a good run, time to move on. 

3 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

OTG wow.........No replaced transmission or other work done to it? What kind of oil are you using? What a blessing to buy something as a work truck and it turn out to be a healthy investment....................

My dad was religious, ok, to be honest, anal, about routine maintenance on his vehicles! Instilled that in me and my sisters. The truck has a 6.0L V8. Every 5,000 miles the oil is changed!  NO exceptions!!! Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30. 6 quarts. Every 50,000 miles cooling system flushed and cleaned.  Transmission flushed and fluid changed at 50,000 miles. Same with rear end......... Bring on the jokes!! Replace spark plugs and wires every 50,000. Body has several dents, dings and serious scratches but always clean, waxed and polished. No rust. Replaced the driver seat. Replaced both front headlight units as the lens finally got to a point nothing could relieve that foggy condition. Rear taillights have been replaced two or three times each.  Original rims, 4th set of shocks. I have General Grabber A/TX33x12 on it right now. I'm thinking she has another 75,000, probably more, in her. Named her Nellie Bell.  

2 hours ago, Steve Rogers said:

234k for me, got it with 114k on it. Lasted me almost 16 years. She was a good car. The cost of repairs to keep her running would have been worth more than the car. Had a good run, time to move on. 

Mr Rogers you definitely got your money's worth out of it. Its difficult for me to let a vehicle go because I love whatever is loyal to me.................. Are you happy with what you replaced her with? 

1 hour ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

My dad was religious, ok, to be honest, anal, about routine maintenance on his vehicles! Instilled that in me and my sisters. The truck has a 6.0L V8. Every 5,000 miles the oil is changed!  NO exceptions!!! Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30. 6 quarts. Every 50,000 miles cooling system flushed and cleaned.  Transmission flushed and fluid changed at 50,000 miles. Same with rear end......... Bring on the jokes!! Replace spark plugs and wires every 50,000. Body has several dents, dings and serious scratches but always clean, waxed and polished. No rust. Replaced the driver seat. Replaced both front headlight units as the lens finally got to a point nothing could relieve that foggy condition. Rear taillights have been replaced two or three times each.  Original rims, 4th set of shocks. I have General Grabber A/TX33x12 on it right now. I'm thinking she has another 75,000, probably more, in her. Named her Nellie Bell.  

OTG I got a chuckle @ Nellie Bell being your name of choice.................You will not get any jokes from me, thats the reason for this post, I take the act of treating things good and getting good in returned to heart. I knew it was others out there like me LOL........ I SALUTE your Dad for giving you guys such awesome advice, Dad's these days don't get credit for shit and are highly underrated in today's world. Writes on a piece of paper that says: Do you want to sell The Nellie LMAO because I can see the look on your face.............................Thanks for your input OTG, I enjoyed it......................

4 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

Mr Rogers you definitely got your money's worth out of it. Its difficult for me to let a vehicle go because I love whatever is loyal to me.................. Are you happy with what you replaced her with? 

I am! My attitude/outlook is probably similar to yours...... Take care of your "things" and they will take care of you. I am almost repulsed by the idea of buying a new car every 5 to 10 years. If you maintain a vehicle they will last over 200k and probably more than 15 years(depending on how you drive of course). 

It also helps that I typically ride my motorcycle as much as possible during the spring, summer and fall months to keep the miles lower on my vehicle. 

If I could truly have it all.....I would have an electric vehicle for commuting, motorcycle(s) for fun and a 4WDor AWD for snowy winter days :)

That is a great set up to have as far as vehicles. I agree with pretty much all that you say, especially when it comes to taking care of your things and letting/hoping they take care of you in return..................Thanks for your input................

Interesting thread as I discovered my trusty daily driver, an Audi Q7 started making engine metal this week with 161k miles. I really wanted to keep this SUV another year as it was in really nice shape but it had other plans and replacing the engine was just not cost effective in todays market. I’m trying to figure out what to replace it with maybe another Audi?  I had pretty good luck with the Q and I know they’re maintenance intensive but I spent money (a lot) when needed and always followed the service schedule. Oh well….nothing lasts forever. 

On 23/06/2022 at 11:29 PM, Savoir Faire said:

Shakes jeesh................................that is awesome, no engine work huh? 

just only some parts

Back in the days of high school I drove a blazer early 70’s model and drove it all over the western slope of Colorado. I drove  up until 3months ago. Times have changed for me and  I am coming to terms with it. I take the backseat of an Uber/Lyft or my daughter comes and gets me I am also capable of walking many miles

. #Retinitis pigmentosa awareness-no cures yet. Such a small population of our world has this slowly progressing eye sight los. However, it is good to share and who knows? Just  maybe some day medical will solve the mystery?! 

4 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Back in the days of high school I drove a blazer early 70’s model and drove it all over the western slope of Colorado. I drove  up until 3months ago. Times have changed for me and  I am coming to terms with it. I take the backseat of an Uber/Lyft or my daughter comes and gets me I am also capable of walking many miles

. #Retinitis pigmentosa awareness-no cures yet. Such a small population of our world has this slowly progressing eye sight los. However, it is good to share and who knows? Just  maybe some day medical will solve the mystery?! 

Kali do you by chance remember the amount of miles you put on that vehicle? 

On 6/24/2022 at 0:10 AM, contrails said:

Interesting thread as I discovered my trusty daily driver, an Audi Q7 started making engine metal this week with 161k miles. I really wanted to keep this SUV another year as it was in really nice shape but it had other plans and replacing the engine was just not cost effective in todays market. I’m trying to figure out what to replace it with maybe another Audi?  I had pretty good luck with the Q and I know they’re maintenance intensive but I spent money (a lot) when needed and always followed the service schedule. Oh well….nothing lasts forever. 

Trails 161K is not bad but at the same time I feel your pain because you obviously was attached to the vehicle and wasn't ready to let it go just yet. My neighbor echoed the same about his Audi. Loves the horsepower but its leaking oil and he barely brings it out of the garage now a days. Nobody likes shelling out money for repairs. Check out the 4 runner, 90 percent of those built are still on the road...........................I personally drove one for 400K plus miles............

9 hours ago, Johnny Shakes said:

just only some parts

What kind of vehicle was it? 

8 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

Kali do you by chance remember the amount of miles you put on that vehicle? 

Lol I drove so much, being the oldest child in my family- about  or a bit over 100 thousand- possibly more !? 1973 blazer hard shell with help of a friend  We would take the top off in the summer. Go grab my friends hit the 3.2 % bars in college. Thinking I ran that poor vehicle into the ground. It was so much fun and no shocks lol! The kids often hit their heads on the roof going over a simple speed-bumps.. Damn early 80’s people didn’t worry so much about safety! . Especially living on the western slope in those days. It was very innocent times! 

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

Technically challenged as well as visually impaired. I found a picture of my old vehicle 

793D48A5-94E8-4733-8D45-C7436E1C2458.jpeg

On 25/06/2022 at 11:34 PM, Savoir Faire said:

What kind of vehicle was it? 

audi a5

On 6/28/2022 at 4:15 AM, janny-ammerson said:

last month 250k. After the repair it was great

Janny do you still have that vehicle? You are getting your money back in full huh? 

On 6/25/2022 at 0:33 PM, Savoir Faire said:

Trails 161K is not bad but at the same time I feel your pain because you obviously was attached to the vehicle and wasn't ready to let it go just yet. My neighbor echoed the same about his Audi. Loves the horsepower but its leaking oil and he barely brings it out of the garage now a days. Nobody likes shelling out money for repairs. Check out the 4 runner, 90 percent of those built are still on the road...........................I personally drove one for 400K plus miles............

I drove a 4Runner last weekend  and although it was a nice ride I guess I’ve been driving a German vehicle for so long it didn’t appeal to me. I also did not like the attitude of the dealer and it kind of turned me off from the brand so I ended up buying a new Q7 yesterday.  I guess I’m a creature of habit and liked the other one so much, Audi gained a repeat customer. Your neighbor needs to drive it more because those Fraulein’s don’t like not being used!

Edited by contrails

On 6/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, Savoir Faire said:

Janny do you still have that vehicle? You are getting your money back in full huh? 

No, Sold Out.