Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caressa Duval

National Blood Crisis!

7 posts in this topic

Most of us have something life saving, we can give. A pint of blood! The country is in crisis, and a life being lost over something so simple should never happen. The worst blood shortage in over a decade! We have the power to change this NOW.  You never know, who's life your pint of blood will save...

A simple and easy way, we can each save a life. Free cookies and juice included :)

"Worst Blood Shortage in Over a Decade

The American Red Cross is facing a national blood crisis – its worst blood shortage in over a decade, posing a concerning risk to patient care. Doctors have been forced to make difficult decisions about who receives blood transfusions and who will need to wait until more products become available. Blood and platelet donations are critically needed to help prevent further delays in vital medical treatments."

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/dlp/red-cross-national-blood-shortage-crisis.html

https://www.vitalant.org/

https://www.uchealth.org/locations/garth-englund-blood-donation-center-fort-collins/

Up until about 10 years ago, I was a regular blood donor. Less than 3% of the world population has my blood type….AB+.

Then my spleen started acting up and my blood didn’t want to clot anymore. Eventually the docs took out my spleen and things improved.  Then the effing blood clots started and now I’m on blood thinners. Then last April while in the hospital dealing with Covid complications, I needed a blood transfusion.  The hospital didn’t have my specific type but I received a pint of A+ which worked.

I can no longer donate blood…and I want to.

Donating blood is easy.  The needle doesn’t hurt.

So if you can donate blood, I urge you to do so.  You never know who you might be helping or even saving someone’s life.

Always a good reminder.  I donate to Vitalant every eight weeks!  @ilovewomen sorry to hear of your complications. 

I used to donate blood regularly, but since having some liver issues, I am no longer able to donate.  I remember donating in college and walking to the nearest bar and doing 5 or 6 shots of brandy with the expectation it would hit me harder and quicker than normal  (there is a reason I developed liver issues.  One time I went to two different places in Chicago on the same day and gave a pint at each because of a neighbor in need and the first place would not allow me to give 2 pints.  It was a mistake.  There is a reason they limit you to 1 pint.  I was wiped out for about 2 or 3 days.

@ilovewomen  Sorry to hear about your health issue.  Take care.

Thank you for the reminder! As someone who has had a transfusion, that’s the least I can do.💕