Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prayforrain

Colorado is Fire

10 posts in this topic

Damn, the Cameron Peaks Fire has a voracious appetite.

I have pictures of the smoke plume on Aug 15, two days after it started and while it was less than 10K acres. You could see it from Livermore, nearly 40mi away.  My mountain place is only about 6mi from the edge of the fire.  Had the fire run N instead of E,  my place would be ashes.  I dodged most of the evacuation orders by being on the road or in the RGV, but I have checked the daily updates.  Many friends have their homes in the area; several are on local VFDs.

Please, pray for them.

Given the weather pattern that's shaping up, CO and the West could be in for a long dry spell. 

Most of the containment on the Cameron Peak Fire is on the N edge.  If those fires merge, my place is history 🥴

Jamestown being evacuated as Cal-Wood Fire grows to 3,000 acres

PUBLISHED: October 17, 2020 at 1:35 p.m. | UPDATED: October 17, 2020 at 6:20 p.m.

Get this........

The Cameron Peak fire is almost 200,000 acres...........

Thats 312 square miles..........

Wrap your mind around that!

The Mullen fire in Wyoming happened/is happening in my normal elk hunting grounds.  Pretty much everything south of Wyoming highway 130 is destroyed.  It's now into Colorado.  I hope the colder temps are helping out the firefighters.

This is so sad, and it's incredibly smoky in FOCO. Hopefully everyone is safe and well. This one  may take a bit longer to burn out. booo

It is unfortunate, indeed,but it is all part of the natural cycle of the forest environments. Conifers are not immortal. They mature, age, deteriorate. Needles,limbs, beetle kill trees, large wind broken trees etc. create large amounts of fuel. Then come fires. Some like to say it is all human activity, but that is untrue. Granted, many, even most fires are started by humans, but not all. Without humans, there would be nobody fighting lightning started fires, and they would rage unchecked,and have many times in the past. With the Conifers burned, the Aspens sucker up from their nearly immortal roots. With no competition, they become the canopy trees.....quite large by aspen standards. They shelter the emerging conifers from wind, hail, snow. Indeed many of those conifers cones REQUIRE fire to open and release their seeds...such as the Lodgepole Pine. Fast forward 50-100 years , and the Aspens begin to fall and decline as they reach their age limits.....just in time for the conifers to re-establish themselves as the canopy trees and continue the cycle. The "Fires" part of that cycle sucks...especially for all things living in the area...but that's where we are right now.