Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ilovewomen

A Day In Infamy

9 posts in this topic

I apologize for this thread being empty. I’ve been trying to paste a picture of the Arizona at Pearl Harbor. I can insert it, but when I submit reply, nothing is there.

54 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

I apologize for this thread being empty. I’ve been trying to paste a picture of the Arizona at Pearl Harbor. I can insert it, but when I submit reply, nothing is there.

not sure which you were going for - then or now, but here you go.

Related image

Image result for arizona at pearl harbor

A sad day in our past that should be honored.  When I found my dad's service book, he was transferred out of Pearl Harbor about a month before it happened.  I am sure he lost some friends.  My dad was a bit strange about the war.  He always talked about his time in the service (20 years), but NEVER talked about his experience in the war.  I can only imagine the trauma and suffering he experienced.

Which then led to Executive Order 9066, signed by FDR on Feb 12,1942. This shameful EO stripped native born American citizens of their Constitutional rights and authorized their internment based solely on their ethnic background.  And SCOTUS let him get away with it.

IMHO this is just as heinous as the dastardly attack on Pearl Harbor.

2 hours ago, average1 said:

...  My dad was a bit strange about the war.  He always talked about his time in the service (20 years), but NEVER talked about his experience in the war.  I can only imagine the trauma and suffering he experienced.

My dad only spoke about a few incidents in the war, none involving combat.  He navigated B-17s in Europe.  I didn’t learn until 25 yrs after he passed while going through my mom’s estate that he had been awarded a DFC.

All combat veterans have “ghosts”, things they’d rather not share.  There are things ordinary folks just can’t comprehend unless they’ve been there themselves.

War is horrible. It's the large scale demonstration of how cruel we can be to other humans.

I think every nation is capable of evil.

I wish we'd learn from our past mistakes. :(

78 years later, the Arizona fuel bunkers are still seeping  their oil one drop at a time. Eventually in time this will cease.  Like she is still bleeding.