Turtle138

How do you know?

8 posts in this topic

Sex Trafficking how do you know if a lady is being trafficked. 

How to stop that crime!

Any ideas!

If you have any doubt SAY SOMETHING, DO SOMETHING.  Please. 

Pm me 

Great post and thank you for bringing this out in the open.  I found this on the national human trafficking hotline website and will see what else I can find.

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/human-trafficking/recognizing-signs
Common Work and Living Conditions:
  • Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
  • Is in the commercial sex industry and has a pimp / manager
  • Is unpaid, paid very little, or paid only through tips
  • Works excessively long and/or unusual hours
  • Is not allowed breaks or suffers under unusual restrictions at work
  • Owes a large debt and is unable to pay it off
  • Was recruited through false promises concerning the nature and conditions of his/her work
  • High security measures exist in the work and/or living locations (e.g. opaque windows, boarded up windows, bars on windows, barbed wire, security cameras, etc.)
Poor Mental Health or Abnormal Behavior:
  • Is fearful, anxious, depressed, submissive, tense, or nervous/paranoid
  • Exhibits unusually fearful or anxious behavior after bringing up law enforcement
  • Avoids eye contact
Poor Physical Health:
  • Lacks medical care and/or is denied medical services by employer
  • Appears malnourished or shows signs of repeated exposure to harmful chemicals
  • Shows signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
Lack of Control:
  • Has few or no personal possessions
  • Is not in control of his/her own money, no financial records, or bank account
  • Is not in control of his/her own identification documents (ID or passport)
  • Is not allowed or able to speak for themselves (a third party may insist on being present and/or translating)
Other:
  • Claims of just visiting and inability to clarify where he/she is staying/address
  • Lack of knowledge of whereabouts and/or of what city he/she is in
  • Loss of sense of time
  • Has numerous inconsistencies in his/her story

Tattoos are often used by pimps as a way to brand victims. Tattoos of a name, symbol of money or barcode could indicate trafficking

While much is made of “sex trafficking” because of the stigma associated with sex work, it is only a small portion of the human trafficking problem (<20% worldwide {source}). I recall a report several years ago on nail salons using trafficked help.  The agricultural and garment industries are also known to employ vast numbers of trafficked individuals.  But these other industries don’t generate headlines & outrage in our puritan society, and therefore don’t attract political attention and funds. Nor do they generate the profits associated with sex work {ibid}.

Edited by Bit Banger

When I worked at the hotels back in the late 70's to early 2000's I got to know some of the working ladies.

Most of them at least appeared to me to be normal people looking to make ends meet. They where strong independent woman. I only got to know them as a person and not by their business and enjoyed their company when the came into the hotel. A couple come to mind that I took a liking to and if I wasn't so shy I would have asked them out on a traditional date.

I also can think or a lady or two that traveled or stayed with a man, which appeared to be more a boyfriend than a pimp but the results appeared to be much the same. It appeared that she supported him. I think today they would be considered independent but they where likely victims too.

There where a few ladies that where troubled and had issues. They would do nearly anything for approval and for affection and praise. I got the impression these ladies where being used by someone. They where the ones that I think would be the ones that would likely be victims. I tried to befriend them and nice to them,  but I should have done more to help them. I got the feeling they where victims long before they fell for the wrong person and they where on a path that would keep them a victim. My heart went out to them and I am ashamed that I didn't to more to help them. I don't know what I would have done, this was when I was much younger and I don't know if there was the resources to them that we have today.

Thank you Laci and scarecrow for your posts.  To the OP, I don't think there is a 100% way of knowing.   If your hobby spider-senses are tingling, you may have your answer.

5 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

While much is made of “sex trafficking” because of the stigma associated with sex work, it is only a small portion of the human trafficking problem (<20% worldwide {source}). I recall a report several years ago on nail salons using trafficked help.  The agricultural and garment industries are also known to employ vast numbers of trafficked individuals.  But these other industries don’t generate headlines & outrage in our puritan society, and therefore don’t attract political attention and funds. Nor do they generate the profits associated with sex work {ibid}.

+1