Blue-eyedTraveler

Friends of Bill W.

14 posts in this topic

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who's getting out of the state mental hospital and may be relocating to Denver. She needs a really strong support system, so I'm looking for advice from people who might know. Specifically, I'd like a reference on a good group with LOTS of meetings. Many thanks in advance.

I had to use a lifeline and call a friend to  decipher your post.  I wish your friend strength, wisdom and courage.  

Probably have better luck researching this in other areas of the web.  

I hope she finds the support she wants and needs. I'm not in the Denver area but Bill was a GREAT help to me. If either of you need an ear please reach out, I've been there.

9 hours ago, Likemtiny said:

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who's getting out of the state mental hospital and may be relocating to Denver. She needs a really strong support system, so I'm looking for advice from people who might know. Specifically, I'd like a reference on a good group with LOTS of meetings. Many thanks in advance.

The state hospital itself should have the information you seek. Check there instead of here.

I think the OP's intention was to cast a wide net.

You never know where you might catch the right fish.

Signature

34 minutes ago, Johnboy#1 said:

I think the OP's intention was to cast a wide net.

You never know where you might catch the right fish.

Signature

But one of the tenets of AA is anonymity, so those fish are unlikely to take the bait. 

The OP said their friend was coming from out-of-state, so the releasing institution may not have a list of CO resources. 

Check with Colorado AA

Missed the edit window:

I do wish your friend all the best. Hopefully they've made it through the easy part, drying out. The mortality rate for unsupervised alcholol withdrawal can be as high as 20%; 1-5% with medical treatment.{http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/819502-overview#a7}

Now come the hard work of staying sober for the rest of their lives. 

12 hours ago, comfortseeker said:

I hope she finds the support she wants and needs. I'm not in the Denver area but Bill was a GREAT help to me. If either of you need an ear please reach out, I've been there.

This man right here is a genuine angel.  

Bit Banger you are correct in AA having the anonymous part to it and that does need to be respected. However there are those of us (yep I'm one of the lucky ones) that accept what we are. I don't care personally whether or not anyone knows. OP is reaching out and seeking. "Responsible for effort, not the result". I wish I was in your area, I'd be able to help. People who did not know me, helped me. Least I can do is try to pay that back by making myself available for others.

That said, your follow up is excellent, thank you for posting that.

3 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

But one of the tenets of AA is anonymity, so those fish are unlikely to take the bait. 

The OP said their friend was coming from out-of-state, so the releasing institution may not have a list of CO resources. 

Check with Colorado AA

I totally agree with this. Check for AA meetings and once your friend finds one meeting then they will have all the resources available. 

Heres a link to meeting schedules I've found and stay strong! 

http://www.daccaa.org/meetings.htm

Edited by Cali Rose

18 hours ago, Blue-eyedTraveler said:

4 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Check with Colorado AA

Maybe it's just me, but this whole thing  seems out of whack. OK..lots of meetings DOES suggest an Alcohol problem, but that was not stated. The State Hospital treats all kinds of issues that might be in need of support meetings. Also, the friend is not moving from out of state, but maybe  ( maybe) to Denver...so the Hospital should list resources. OK...I guess the wide net approach is possible, but THIS seems like kind of a bad place to seek such advice.....unless maybe the friend is a provider? Even then it is probably not a great place. Seems all outta whack...but maybe it's just me.

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

Maybe it's just me, but this whole thing  seems out of whack. ...

Naw, I think it's someone trying to help a friend, without a clue of how best to go about it.  The OP has been around long enough to be comfortable with this group, comfortable enough to ask. 

Hopefully the OP has what he needs. There have been several links that should prove helpful. 

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've been around AA for 20 years, and you'd be surprised where it's best to look. I've gotten one private message with some very valuable and helpful information. As to the "why here" questions, I've known a great many in the hobby who've dealt with demons through the 12 Steps, so it's actually quite a good place to ask. This young woman lives in Colorado Springs but some in the family are thinking a change of scenery might be useful. Thanks again to everybody, especially those who sought to be truly helpful. You know who you are.

1 hour ago, Blue-eyedTraveler said:

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've been around AA for 20 years, and you'd be surprised where it's best to look. I've gotten one private message with some very valuable and helpful information. As to the "why here" questions, I've known a great many in the hobby who've dealt with demons through the 12 Steps, so it's actually quite a good place to ask. This young woman lives in Colorado Springs but some in the family are thinking a change of scenery might be useful. Thanks again to everybody, especially those who sought to be truly helpful. You know who you are.

See...now I would have known all this had I taken Brother Bluto's advice as Otter advised....