Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

Lost my XO today

7 posts in this topic

I was blessed and so very fortunate to have had three truly exceptional Executive Offices in my Commands. Today I was notified that perhaps the best of the three passed.

I am sad. I love this man. This man knew just what to say when I was scared shitless about a decision I had to make. He knew when to just sit there with me and not say fucking word. He was never afraid to call me out. I knew, no matter what, he had my back. He knew, no matter what, I had his. When he spoke, I listened.  I was never ashamed to cry with him. His heart broke like mine when we lost one. More than once he said to me, just shut the fuck up and let me handle this. So, I shut the fuck up and let him handle it. i was better because of him. I like to think, he was better because of me. He had a servants' heart. 

God, we were so young back then and bullet proof.

There are thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands like him who have served our country. Men and women who toiled with no fanfare. Did what need to be done. Never thought it was big deal. Just the right thing to do. Proud, humble and brave. Oh, so brave. I lost a friend. We lost a warrior. 

I introduced him to Coors original. I am sitting on my deck with a heartache drinking one to him.

1 hour ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

I was blessed and so very fortunate to have had three truly exceptional Executive Offices in my Commands. Today I was notified that perhaps the best of the three passed.

I am sad. I love this man. This man knew just what to say when I was scared shitless about a decision I had to make. He knew when to just sit there with me and not say fucking word. He was never afraid to call me out. I knew, no matter what, he had my back. He knew, no matter what, I had his. When he spoke, I listened.  I was never ashamed to cry with him. His heart broke like mine when we lost one. More than once he said to me, just shut the fuck up and let me handle this. So, I shut the fuck up and let him handle it. i was better because of him. I like to think, he was better because of me. He had a servants' heart. 

God, we were so young back then and bullet proof.

There are thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands like him who have served our country. Men and women who toiled with no fanfare. Did what need to be done. Never thought it was big deal. Just the right thing to do. Proud, humble and brave. Oh, so brave. I lost a friend. We lost a warrior. 

I introduced him to Coors original. I am sitting on my deck with a heartache drinking one to him.

Gentle thought of healing and taking your time to reflect on how important he was to you. I am sure there are many like him but this man was important to you and that is what your focus should be and reflect for you. ❤️ enjoy that beer!

Sorry for your loss.  Glad you have good memories.  There were times I thought XO's and CPO's were the folks who really got things done and were well respected (along with some of the Warrant Officers).

2 hours ago, average1 said:

There were times I thought XO's and CPO's were the folks who really got things done and were well respected (along with some of the Warrant Officers).

Yeah, most of the time that would be absolutely correct!!! I was also very fortunate to have served with several excellent First Sergeant. A good Top, First Shirt, Top Kick, was worth his weight in gold. Just pausing to remember some pretty wild, intense times of my life and the guys who were a big part of those times

Sorry for your loss, glad you have many good memories of him however.

Cheers to a friend on the other side..

XOXOXO 

I'm sorry for your loss.  I hope his family and friends find solace in the time they spent together.