Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gr8owl

Hey, come on. I know what I saw! With my own eyes.

24 posts in this topic

Oh, really?  Sure it wasn't just what you expected to see?

Unfortunately, @gr8owl my eyes don’t track anymore, I do love science stuff. 😍

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

I hope you are getting up early to see the Space X take off!

1 hour ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I hope you are getting up early to see the Space X take off!

Currently scheduled for 7:30 mountain time on Thursday the 20th.  Can watch on their website, link below. 

"Getting up early" - I cannot remember the last time I slept in that late!!

https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-test

For those that may not know - the largest rocket in history so far and meant to eventually be the vehicle for first manned flight to Mars.  And with Space X it could be the largest rocket explosion ever!

1 hour ago, gr8owl said:

And with Space X it could be the largest rocket explosion ever!

What, you big on the odds?  Just because the first three tests ended in massive explosions that spewed debris and highly toxic liquid rocket fuel into protected wetlands?  A 100% failure rate don't mean a thing when you're the world's richest whatever and breaker of Twitter!

Just because Musk is using a hyper - oxygenated liquid propellant that has only been used successfully in ONE land-launched vehicle - JP-5 in the famed SR-71 Blackbird?  The SR-71 had to achieve maximum ceiling as quickly as possible so it's aluminum body would expand and seal off all of the JP-5 that leaked out of the fuel tanks or else it would not complete it's calculated trajectory / altitude / mission.  Or become a Roman Candle that even the crude Soviet and Chinese radar could track with no special enhancement needed -

I just like seeing things blow up.  It's like the 4th of July, only much more expensive!  WHEEEE!

4 hours ago, gr8owl said:

Currently scheduled for 7:30 mountain time on Thursday the 20th.  Can watch on their website, link below. 

"Getting up early" - I cannot remember the last time I slept in that late!!

https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-test

For those that may not know - the largest rocket in history so far and meant to eventually be the vehicle for first manned flight to Mars.  And with Space X it could be the largest rocket explosion ever!

I was told 6am ?! Super excited @gr8owl 730 am I can do! This is history people! Thanks for the correction! 

7 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I was told 6am ?! Super excited @gr8owl 730 am I can do! This is history people! Thanks for the correction! 

Just to be totally clear - coverage on some sites may indeed begin at 6:00 a.m.  But the one hour window of time for that day when the actual launch can occur starts at 7:30 a.m.  If there is a launch tomorrow it will occur between 7:30 and 8:30.  If they miss the window the launch is delayed again.  If you want to see the explanations and hype and other coverage that may start at 6.  I am the kind of guy that tunes in for super bowl coverage 5 minutes before kick off, not 10 in the morning on game day lol.  I am sure whether a resounding success or an explosive failure there will be replays during the day!

11 hours ago, F117 said:

What, you big on the odds?  Just because the first three tests ended in massive explosions that spewed debris and highly toxic liquid rocket fuel into protected wetlands?  A 100% failure rate don't mean a thing when you're the world's richest whatever and breaker of Twitter!

Just because Musk is using a hyper - oxygenated liquid propellant that has only been used successfully in ONE land-launched vehicle - JP-5 in the famed SR-71 Blackbird?  The SR-71 had to achieve maximum ceiling as quickly as possible so it's aluminum body would expand and seal off all of the JP-5 that leaked out of the fuel tanks or else it would not complete it's calculated trajectory / altitude / mission.  Or become a Roman Candle that even the crude Soviet and Chinese radar could track with no special enhancement needed -

I just like seeing things blow up.  It's like the 4th of July, only much more expensive!  WHEEEE!

Actually there have been successful tests of the various components as well as a few failures.  the Raptor 2 engines (33 of them) powering this craft use liquified methane as the fuel, NOT JP-5 fuel.  

17 hours ago, F117 said:

You crack me up @gr8owl! Yet to me, it is all about the history and the fact that nobody involved is giving up on their mission! OK, you know it is a bunch of people that have money to burn. And maybe they could put money towards health related issues like cancer or Retinitis pigmentosa? Maybe world hunger?
 Yet, I love passionate endeavors and I see the value in what they’re into! Not my money involved. It is totally someone else’s passion and it will be the makings of what is to come with history.
  As far as Twitter goes? I am  not sure who took me down! But I have had my accounts taken away twice from me on Twitter. ( whole different story).  Yeah, I am intrested in and no I am not very smart when it comes to astrophysics stuff. I am down right not knowing much of anything in space or in the ocean of that fashion. I can tell you I do love and know Astrology-that’s about the planets, asteroids, stars, moon, sun. I also love energy work -Reiki. - all in a way sort of roundabout way related!
 Yes, again,  I am excited about Spacex!  I will now proclaim this as being fascinating to me. I just hope it all is to others too! I hope their endeavor pans out for them! And nobody is hurt! No, I am not into the sensational aspect of blowing stuff up either., it is all about their passion and progress of moving forward with history and seeing something incredible coming out of the study with their mission! Does that make sense to you @gr8owl? Maybe you see me as silly? I am ok with that also! I figured I earned the right to be interested in this science stuff! 

14 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

… OK, you know it is a bunch of people that have money to burn. And maybe they could put money towards health related issues like cancer or Retinitis pigmentosa? Maybe world hunger?
 Yet, I love passionate endeavors and I see the value in what they’re into! Not my money involved. It is totally someone else’s passion and it will be the makings of what is to come with history. …

Gates spent his money on trying to eliminate polio.  Efforts to eliminate famine & disease are counter to survival of Gaia.  They foster the expansion of the greatest pollutant, our species.  Unless we can convince the world to practice Zero Population Growth, we are doomed.

But Bezos & Musk are working to get us off this Rock. That will not only give us room to grow, but also propagate the species.  Thus fulfilling our Prime Imperative, reproduce.

Edited by Bit Banger

13 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Gates spent his money on trying to eliminate polio.  Efforts to eliminate famine & disease are counter to survival of Gaia.  They foster the expansion of the greatest pollutant, our species.  Unless we can convince the world to practice Zero Population Growth, we are doomed.

But Bezos & Musk are working to get us off this Rock. That will not only give us room to grow, but also propagate the species.  Thus fulfilling our Prime Imperative, reproduce.

Way back in the early 70's, while in high school, I was a believer in ZPG.  Our population has exploded and many of our resources are finite.  It is only a matter of time.

1 hour ago, average1 said:

Way back in the early 70's, while in high school, I was a believer in ZPG.  Our population has exploded and many of our resources are finite.  It is only a matter of time.

The only problems I have with ZPG are:

1) The intelligent get it.  The not so bright continue to breed like rabbets.  This reduces the overall intelligence of the species.

2) To correct ^this^ problem would require draconian, totalitarian measures.

I still remember the lecture we got when visiting PRC about their ‘one child’ policy.  Part of that lecture was a listing of the staggering resources required to support their population.

Go boom! 😱 Splash!!!

At least it left the pad before things went awry.

35 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Go boom! 😱 Splash!!!

At least it left the pad before things went awry.

That is why they call it a test flight and why it was unmanned for now!!

It appeared to me that three of the thirty three Raptor engines in the stage one booster did not ignite or they shut down prematurely.  That the onboard guidance and control system was able to accommodate that imbalance until attempted separation is truly amazing.  Well done on that system!!  But the severe attitude adjustment to something other than parallel to travel combined with the engine imbalance caused it start to tumble.  As soon as that happened, game over.  I am confused as to why the severe attitude change at separation is designed in because it kinda invites this type of failure, but I'm sure the engineers have a reason for it.  Still a very productive test flight and clearly the system has great potential. OK, yeah, pure nerd/engineer here geeking out.  Guilty. But I think Musk should show confidence in his product and be a passenger on the next one!  Now about that Ames window .........

I love the comments: "Everything above liftoff is icing on the cake."  I guess the plan is to build a bridge to the moon, and then Mars from the debris of "successful" missions....

I get excited when I see the images from the James Webb telescope.  I get excited when the Mars rover finds traces of water on Mars.  I get a different kind of excited when the world's richest person blows up the world's largest rocket.... again.  Guess it was using the Tesla full autonomous driving feature!  LOL!

@gr8owl

Until they become boringly routine, every trip is a test flight. Even those with passengers. It’s the nature of exploration.  How many tests did Edison run before he found a viable light bulb? And yet he kept on looking for improvements after that.

@gr8owl, I am sorry I changed your topic. Yet, I feel that this is a vital thing to talk about! Along with optical illusions/ population control, health related - we are not eating real food anymore. Sure you buy it in the grocery store, but it has a funky smell and artificial coloring and please don’t even try to pronounce the names on the back of the can.

6Our earth's soil has no more nutrients. it is probably not a happy thing to talk about. So, it gets me a bit excited to talk about, what science is doing, and where they are exploring, Spacex will develop an optical illusion for the masses all of us will think it is just another regular day and the majority of us will be asked to pack an extra jacket and follow the group leader! Hard enough for me to imagine a totally digital currency... What else is there for us down the line?

19 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

@gr8owl, I am sorry I changed your topic.

Lol it is not "my topic' just because I started the thread.  Seems the "starship" launch was more interesting than the original topic.  I find both interesting

And so do i! To me, this science stuff is important and has a lot more positive impact on our lives and will become a part of our history! Versus,  other topics that raise our blood pressure and make us all want to recoil.

Do you remember “ astronaut food” 😂😂 they were chewy chalk-tasting Sticks that came out in the grocery stores think during the late 60’s early 70’s? I remember the big hype for those! My mom bought a couple of boxes for my family. She possibly tossed them out because nobody wanted to eat them. 🤢. 

How many remember the introduction of Tang?  While not actually formulated for the space program, sales skyrocketed after use in John Glenn’s initial flights.

memory foam for everything from helmets to ....... mattresses! :)

I looked on the internet and saw a list of everyday items that make our life more pleasurable that we take for granted, and have weaved into ou r everyday existence. Now has become totally mundane. To ,me, that is very fascinating and no it is not a 411 to the guys on here. 😂,😂 My thoughts are at times possibly boring to the majority of you However, tis is one of the reasons that I find myself intrigued by such programs as 

https://www.spacex.com/ and 

https://www.nasa.gov/ as well as other independent groups. I am also fascinated by the ocean in addition. No, you can’t label me a nerdy woman. At least I don’t think so.

My Mars is in the fifth house of Virgo In my birth chart. Along with a few other planets. The fith house is the house of play. 

😂😂 I talk too much!