Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

The Place, Urban Peak and socks

14 posts in this topic

Thank you!!!!  It is all too easy these days to complain about the homeless, and rarely do the news stories mention how many are under age.  Thank you for your continuing efforts to make a difference.:)

On 10/2/2021 at 5:12 PM, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

I have appealed to this community in the past to reach out and help homeless teens. I have reason to believe the positive, generous, response from individuals here on TOB has been felt by both organizations. As of last Friday 61 teens were identified as homeless on the streets of Colorado Springs, Manitou and Fountain.  Consensus is that there are probably another 25+ not contacted. Kids contacted range from14 to 19 with most teens  in the 15 ,16 year old range. Please, if you can, both "The Place" and "Urban Peak" need SOCKS.  Socks are the single most requested item from homeless teens. Underwear, Chapstick and personal hygiene items are always in demand. You can easily go on line and check out both organizations and see how easy it is to donate.  A package of 6 pairs of socks at Wal-Mart range from, $7.50 to $9.25.  What a difference YOU can make. Thank You!!!

This is a topic that is close to my heart, always has been.  The amount of children living on the streets all over Colorado, is staggering. It is not just teens, but children under the age of 10 years old too. The basics toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, baby wipes, and don't be embarrassed to buy a bunch of tampons and pads for the young women.  Winter is upon us donate sleeping bags if you can, and shoes in many sizes including youth sizes sadly. There is an Urban Peak in Denver too.

https://www.urbanpeak.org/denver/about-us/about-urban-peak/about-urban-peak/

Edited by Caressa Duval
Spelling

Than you both! I should have included a link in my original post. About three years ago "Urban Peak" in Colorado Springs reorganized as "The Place" Nothing negative about the change in name.  Both "Urban Peak" in Denver and "The Place" in Colorado Springs continue to work closely with one another as before. Sleeping bags are always welcome but backpacks are in more demand. Tooth paste is good but is often discarded as too cumbersome. Chapstick is often used as a currency,  as are SOCKS. Socks are most treasured.   Anything helps!!!!!

14 hours ago, gr8owl said:

In Colorado Springs, no longer called urban peak but rather "The Place"

https://theplacecos.org/

16 hours ago, Caressa Duval said:

This is a topic that is close to my heart, always has been.  The amount of children living on the streets all over Colorado, is staggering. It is not just teens, but children under the age of 10 years old too. The basics toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, baby wipes, and don't be embarrassed to buy a bunch of tampons and pads for the young women.  Winter is upon us donate sleeping bags if you can, and shoes in many sizes including youth sizes sadly. There is an Urban Peak in Denver too.

For the people in northern Colorado "The Mathews House" provides services for the homeless youth in Larimer county. 

https://www.thematthewshouse.org/our-work/

In the 2019 Homeless Point-in-Time Study
Sheltered and Unsheltered Count reported by Colorado Coalition. 7% of the Colorado homeless were unaccompanied
youth.

If you thought Covid 2020 was hard on you, it was heartbreaking to wonder how these youths were surviving last year.  I was watching the closures of several of the Denver and Fort Collins homeless youth services due to Covid.  One of the vital things they lost during Covid was their day shelters, where they were able to get a hot meal, take a shower, speak to their counselors, and stay warm. 

Somehow they survived last year homeless....

Please do what you can to help any of these organizations in this thread.  Let's do our part to make 2021 a safer, warmer, and caring world for the homeless youth in our own backyard!

Edited by Caressa Duval
word

On 10/6/2021 at 8:09 AM, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Than you both! I should have included a link in my original post. About three years ago "Urban Peak" in Colorado Springs reorganized as "The Place" Nothing negative about the change in name.  Both "Urban Peak" in Denver and "The Place" in Colorado Springs continue to work closely with one another as before. Sleeping bags are always welcome but backpacks are in more demand. Tooth paste is good but is often discarded as too cumbersome. Chapstick is often used as a currency,  as are SOCKS. Socks are most treasured.   Anything helps!!!!!

I can't make it down to Colorado Springs any time soon, or not soon enough in person.  I wanted to help the youth down there too. A care package is on it's way to "The Place" in COS  :) thank you for bringing this need to our attention!

socks2.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 11:42 AM, Caressa Duval said:

I can't make it down to Colorado Springs any time soon, or not soon enough in person.  I wanted to help the youth down there too. A care package is on it's way to "The Place" in COS  :) thank you for bringing this need to our attention!

socks2.jpg

Thank you :)

6 hours ago, gr8owl said:

Thank you :)

And Thank You! The giving back season is upon us. The cold is coming. We are incredibly privileged that life went on with most of us. I would love to hear what charity meant the most to you since the pandemic.  Homeless youths is closest to me, but we can bring so much through Christmas!  To literally save a person's life.

Just reached  1,000 pairs of sox for this drive!!!!!! Woo Hooo!!!!! Dozens of backpacks!!! Pounds and pounds of chaps ticks!!! Boxes and boxes of personal hygiene items.   For those of you that helped, donated THANK YOU!!!!!!  KNOW that you make a difference.   

Another 1,000 pairs of socks!!! Yes!!! Amazing what a difference a warm, dry, clean pair of socks can make in life. Boring, nothing special, plain white socks. Thank you!!

On 10/5/2021 at 3:11 PM, Caressa Duval said:

Thank you for posting the site.

My wife and I really try to give back to the less fortunate. This helps us so much!

Love this thread. There are a number of organizations that want to be helpful, but need support.  I am thrilled to see when folks gladly assist others.  We need one another in this thing called life.  Most everyone has times in their lives where they struggle and need support.  I know I sure have had those times and am forever grateful for the folks and organizations who helped me.  And I am grateful that I am able to pass it on and pay it forward.

https://theactioncenter.org/

my local charity! I am  involved with helping from time to time.

Denver Rescue Mission is another great way to help with your community. 

this is a very nice post thank you! I hope your organization does well!!