gr8owl

Engineers Week

13 posts in this topic

Is this week.  Perhaps a tip of the hat or something more personal for the engineer in your life.  If there isn't one ........ why not??? :)  Anyway as an example of engineer nerds doing cool things, 360 degree view from Mars that you can rotate through:

Jezero Crater, Mars::

Now it they can only prove that controlled autonomous flight is possible in the Martian atmosphere...

I used to have an uncle that drove a train up around the Wyoming area. A coal transport, I think.  Does that count?

10 hours ago, Kaduk said:

Now it they can only prove that controlled autonomous flight is possible in the Martian atmosphere...

A relative walk in the park

2 hours ago, Milos Vesely said:

I used to have an uncle that drove a train up around the Wyoming area. A coal transport, I think.  Does that count?

no, not even for humor.

10 hours ago, Kaduk said:

Isn't this statement an oxymoron? 

1 hour ago, SixtiesDude said:

Isn't this statement an oxymoron? 

No!

The ‘controlled flight’ means without wild gyrations, random elevation changes, or other spastic movements.
The ‘autonomous’ part refers to without micro-management from human on Earth.

9 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

No!

The ‘controlled flight’ means without wild gyrations, random elevation changes, or other spastic movements.
The ‘autonomous’ part refers to without micro-management from human on Earth.

Beyond no "micromanagement" circumstances require fully robotic or full AI control.  The helicopter has to be on auto pilot.  This is because Mars varies from 35 million to 250 million miles from earth.  Radio waves take anywhere from 5 minutes to over 20 minutes to go one way.  So "seeing" a hazard would take a minimum of 5 minutes to get back to mission control and another 5 minutes to send a what to do command.  Could be up to 40 minute delay.  So .... anything moving fast has to be fully robotic.  Even a rover creeping along at one mile per hour could travel over half a mile waiting for instructions from mission control.  Most of the descent and selection of exact landing spot was similarly fully robotic.

But doesn't the definition of "autonomous" incorporate self control? Therefore the statement "controlled  autonomous" is saying to control a self-controlled object? 

Not trying to be obstinate ... just curious.

Edited by SixtiesDude
Typo

55 minutes ago, SixtiesDude said:

But doesn't the definition of "autonomous" incorporate self control? Therefore the statement "controlled  autonomous" is saying to control a self-controlled object? 

Not trying to be obstinate ... just curious.

spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/aerospace/robotic-exploration/nasa-designed-perseverance-helicopter-rover-fly-autonomously-mars

As it’s flying, it’s autonomously trying to make sure it stays on that trajectory in the presence of wind gusts or other things that may happen in that environment. But it’s really designed to follow a trajectory that we plan on the ground before it flies.

43BB30DF-5BB1-4350-95C4-1C8BDCB43B40_4_5005_c.jpegNASAPersevere

Me and my company had a lot of hard work to support this mission, I'm proud of everyone! 

On 2/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, gr8owl said:

A relative walk in the park

So it would seem.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:54 PM, sparkey600 said:

So it would seem.

God.....I'm so TIRED of people who think they are NASA scientists when I have to spend the best years of my life  listening to their BS. It's so soul  sucking!

HEAR THIS! All IS GOOD with the current operation's on Mars. No need to worry, Go about your normal lives....All of the Mars mapping a exploring is really going better than expected. Like I said before....I"M HAPPY PROUD OF EVEYONE ON MY TEAM TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!