Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammer

RV shopping

13 posts in this topic

So, I'm looking to go bigger on my RV.  I love what I have, it's just not big enough.  Windish in Wheat Ridge has a toy hauler that definitely piqued my interest.  Has anyone dealt with them and if so how was your experience?  I've read a lot of negative reviews about other dealerships near Longmont, so I'm trying to steer clear of them.  Wyoming doesn't have what I'm looking for so driving south seems to be my best option.

I would consider Yelp.
They have a huge review audience, to comment on what you are searching for.

Big RV needs a BIG truck.  My 40’ toy hauler 5th wheel needed an F450 to get around the country.  It was still chore to get it over the high passes.

My current 27’ travel trailer gets by with an F150 (eco-boost engine has the best tow capacity).  But I need an upgrade to a 3/4 ton hauling my bike in the truck bed.

If you’re buying new from Windish, OK.  Pre-owned?  Just like any used car lot; buyer be VERY  careful.

Depending on the toy in your hauler, you MAY find yourself removing your hitch to transport an atv from a campsite to a trail head.  I pull an atv trailer behind my fifth wheel with no issues

50 minutes ago, mustang said:

Depending on the toy in your hauler, you MAY find yourself removing your hitch to transport an atv from a campsite to a trail head.  I pull an atv trailer behind my fifth wheel with no issues

“Triple bottom” (2 trailers) is not legal in some states.  It’s also more difficult in backing situations and some fuel stops.

For reference I’ve been RVing with a trailer for over 20 years.  I spent several years full-timing.  I still get in at least one 6,000mi trip each year.

2 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

“Triple bottom” (2 trailers) is not legal in some states.  It’s also more difficult in backing situations and some fuel stops.

Towing behind a 5th wheel is not considered a double.  It seems that that only applies to a bumper pull.  Might be different in the east, but so far none of the West - Southwest states have hassled me

21 minutes ago, mustang said:

Towing behind a 5th wheel is not considered a double.  It seems that that only applies to a bumper pull.  Might be different in the east, but so far none of the West - Southwest states have hassled me

Here’s a more definitive guide

2 hours ago, mustang said:

"Terminology is inconsistent, too. Some states call it double towing, while others refer to it as triple towing. In general, you’ll find that every state along the Atlantic bans double towing except for Maryland. Hawaii, Washington and Oregon also make it illegal to double tow."

6a00d83451b3c669e2010537089bd1970b-800wi

Best advice: If you’re going to double tow across state lines, call or check DMV websites ahead of time.

Some facts about RV triple towing
"While commercial truckers call it “hauling doubles,” RVers call it “triple towing” (sometimes “double towing”).

Common Configurations; The setup varies according to your needs but most folks are towing the following:

RV – Vehicle – Trailer – The RV is tasked with towing a utility vehicle and a trailer with a boat, gear or a motorcycle/ATV. Ideally, that final trailer is lightweight to prevent overloading your RV engine. This configuration limits you to highway routes and established roadways. After reaching a long-term campsite however, you have the benefit of a comfortable home and a vehicle to go exploring.

Tow Vehicle – Travel Trailer – Trailer – This double trailer setup requires a heavy duty towing vehicle unless both trailers are exceptionally lightweight. For example, towing a small fiberglass travel trailer and small fishing boat is possible with most V6 and V8 pickups designed to haul reasonable loads. Heavier campers however will require

Tow Vehicle – Fifth Wheel – Trailer – Again, the tow vehicle must be heavy duty here. The fifth wheel is often large and heavy and a capable truck is mandatory. The fifth wheel does however act more like an extension of the vehicle because the load is placed over the chassis and not the tongue. This makes towing behind a fifth wheel viable.
Examples, if your extra trailer is used to haul a motorcycle or ATV, you might consider using a hitch mount storage system or hauling that extra rig in your truck bed. If consolidating is not possible and you really need that extra trailer, start by checking the state laws to ensure your route is legal. After that, it’s time to work through the setup and running a few practice rounds to get comfortable.

State Towing Laws
Towing doubles is illegal in many of the eastern states but the western states are available for people towing doubles. You can legally tow doubles in the following states:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah

You can't go wrong by calling it "Towing Doubles", researching each State if they allow two trailer towing. (also maximum length).
I do like the idea of an RV - toy hauler or a Tow Vehicle - toy hauler, that then eliminates Towing Doubles.

I can't speak about RV/trailer/boat towing here in Colorado.

I do know that semi-trucks are limited to double trailers.  Semi's pulling triple 28' pups are illegal in Colorado.

I would think that some of the same laws that applies to semi's would also apply to RV's.

I checked Yelp for various RV dealers and damn near every one of the reviews is either 5 stars or 1 star, no in between.  So it seems like I'll either have a good experience or be so mad I'll be eating nails.  

I was looking at a used Carbon bumper pull, but I've got to go check it out first.  I drove from Wyoming to Colorado Springs for my current toy hauler since Wyoming either didn't have what I was looking for or the dealerships acted like they could care less about my business, so I'm expecting to go out of town again.

I'm also wanting to tandem tow, pulling a regular flat bed trailer to haul my ATV to trailheads as mustang said since loading and moving the camper constantly isn't ideal.

44 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I'm also wanting to tandem tow, pulling a regular flat bed trailer to haul my ATV to trailheads as mustang said since loading and moving the camper constantly isn't ideal.

Since my ‘toy’ is a highway legal motorbike, I didn’t have to worry about that complication with my toy hauler.  What I liked was parking in a campsite w/o unhitching the fiver, unloading the bike, and going to town.  With my current configuration, I have to unhitch the travel trailer to remove the bike from the truck bed.  Still, I appreciate the 12-15mpg I get with this rig as opposed to the 6-7mpg of my F450.

Always had good luck with Camping World. A toy hauler worked great for us, it was totally convenient for hauling a bike or ATVs. If you are an adrenaline junky and go through 4 foot deep streams and giant muddy hills, it behooves you have a way to clean up your machines before going home. The dirt and extra cleaning were the only issue. I'm jelly!!! Have fun!