Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Annekeslc

Fly Fishing in Colorado vs Fly Fishing in Utah

7 posts in this topic

I love fly fishing. I have my favorite areas here in Utah that I know and love. I know the time of year to go, I know what works best for me (oh hi, Euro Nymphs) and I know which bends to fish.

I don't know the specifics here. My experience thus far here in Denver is that our cities (SLC and Denver) aren't too different. Our weather patterns also seem to be similar.

For the foreseeable future,my time in Denver will include volunteer work, and my trips are centered around reconnecting with the Veterans that have moved back to Denver after completing Rehab.

I'd love to hear from people who have a similar hobby and understanding of fly fishing. What times of the year are best? Areas within an hour and a half range from Denver? Yes, I realize i can Google search this however, let's be honest, the best places to fish are the ones that aren't well advertised.

I'd love spending a morning-afternoon fly fishing when appropriate.

Thank you in advance!

I love going out to Deckers, the Dream Stream, 11 Mile, etc, since they're near me in the Springs.  

Of course, Project Healing Waters would be great for you to hook up with!  They have a Denver chapter.

As for hidden places, not too many of them unfortunately, only because of how populated everything has become.  Though the fall has always been great for me to go, right after tourist season ends.

Edited by FuriousWeasel

Decker's is amazing!  Officer Gulch, exit before starting over Vail pass, headed west.  Numerous places up and down Platte River. Also Boulder County really has tons of wonderfully beautiful places.  Sometimes the best thing is to simply wander this beautiful State, on a free day and you'll find somewhere you love!

Well IMHO the more productive places are away from Denver and only accessible by foot.  If you are not a hike in type of angler, I would drive south to Canon City, turn west up Highway 50.  This will take you along the Arkansas River.  There are many turn outs and improved locations (with potties) that you can use to access the river.  Best to go early morning and plan to be off the water by noon.  After noon the rafters start to come down the river and they are, in general, totally out of control.

15 hours ago, Necron 99 said:

After noon the rafters start to come down the river and they are, in general, totally out of control.

riverside4.jpg

As in many western states, water is a rare commodity and thus, zealously guarded. I have not fly fished CO in 20 years, but "90 minutes from Denver and relatively unknown," was impossible even before A River Runs Through It. After, forgetaboutit. I doubt the scene has improved any. However, if you're willing to take some time and are crowd tolerant, there is likely to be quality fishing available. Back then, the quickest quickie was the South Platte. I preferred hiking in, but I had plenty of great times below Deckers. That's about 90 minutes. The water comes out of the dam so it was a year round fishery, but it's an extremly technical stream. After the S Platte, it gets to be more of a production.   In addition to what others have mentioned, I always did well on the Eagle, but as the summer warmed it, I'd move on up to the Gore. I also had a soft spot for the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork, but neither is a quick jaunt. 

I had the misfortune to have the first tarpon I cast to eat and that was the beginning of the end of my freshwater time. Ultimately, I traded in my 2wt for a stout 10 and a my neoprenes for shorts and wading boots and never looked back.

Tight lines. 

How do you feel about lakes and belly boat aka float tube? Twin Lakes during week is usually pretty deserted since the daily fee ($4.00) was put in play.  Or wander up to the forebay - which remains open water even in winter (at 10,000 ft. !)