Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Pansexual and Polyamorous - An Old Man's Take

10 posts in this topic

My dad is almost 88, and we occasionally talk about pop culture. He asked the other day: "So who are the pretty women of the day?" I thought of Miley Cyrus (among others) and described her professed love of "pansexuality," which I suppose is a second cousin to "polyamory."  

I defined a "pansexual" woman as best I could and he said, "Well, that's nothing new, but we didn't use that word in the old days. We called them strumpets, harlots, sluts, and whores." He got this far off stare and said, "There was once this sweet little number named Charlotte. Back at the Navy base, we called her 'Charlotte the Harlot...'"   That's when I intervened and said, "How about those Broncos?"  I post this only for amusement. I think it kind of shows that despite all the new names we come up with, there is really not that much that is new under the sun.  

She's got freckles on her but she is nice
And when she's in my arms it's paradise
With old men she likes to neck
She necks the wrecks and gets a check
She's got freckles on her but she is nice

My grandma used to sing that song. Harlotry is nothing new just the labels. Pansexual is just more positive than the negative alternatives. You should of let your pops finish the story! My grandparent met and married in the Philippines in the 40s, I have seen the pictures (think Hedy Lamarr in a white bathing suit and a very tropical cocktail) but I have never heard the stories and sadly now I never will.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

Here's a better link, which I also prefer, explaining the difference

http://www.stop-homophobia.com/pansexuality.htm

I first heard of Pan Sexual just before Gay Pride in June, 2015. 

When I asked, as I was under the impression the person explaining this to me was BiSexual, it was explained to me it's beyond just being Bi, it's inclusive of those who identify as Transgender too. PanSexuals don't discriminate. 

Some have called it Fluid as well and it's a relatively a new term and is debated within the Community. 

My opinion,  it's a progressive view of Sexuality within the Younger Generation. A Generation of Inclusiveness and Nonjudgmental. I've yet to meet a Pan Sexual who was sexually permissive, instead I've noticed they take relationships seriously. I doubt this is a fad or hip term though. 

Edited by Heidi the Housewife aka The Maui Muse
Forgot to add link

15 minutes ago, Heidi the Housewife aka The Maui Muse said:

... I've yet to meet a Pan Sexual who was sexually permissive, instead I've noticed they take relationships seriously. I doubt this is a fad or hip term though. 

Homosexuals used to be considered promiscuious, especially males, but all of the gay individuals I know have been in the same committed relationship for a decade or more. Go figure?

49 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Homosexuals used to be considered promiscuious, especially males, but all of the gay individuals I know have been in the same committed relationship for a decade or more. Go figure?

Not to go off topic, yet with Gay Marriage legal, I would be curious as to the rate of divorce within the Gay Community compared to the straight. Reason,  I too know many upon many Gay men and women in committed relationships/married including my favorite cousin (she's been with her wife going on 15+years).

I'm dog sitting for family friend who recently lost his husband to heart attack. I've known them since my teen years(I'm 43), that's almost 30 years. 

13 hours ago, pitbull said:

My dad is almost 88, and we occasionally talk about pop culture. He asked the other day: "So who are the pretty women of the day?" I thought of Miley Cyrus (among others) and described her professed love of "pansexuality," which I suppose is a second cousin to "polyamory."  

I defined a "pansexual" woman as best I could and he said, "Well, that's nothing new, but we didn't use that word in the old days. We called them strumpets, harlots, sluts, and whores." He got this far off stare and said, "There was once this sweet little number named Charlotte. Back at the Navy base, we called her 'Charlotte the Harlot...'"   That's when I intervened and said, "How about those Broncos?"  I post this only for amusement. I think it kind of shows that despite all the new names we come up with, there is really not that much that is new under the sun.  

Miley Cyrus and being thought of as pretty....

To each their own I suppose... 

On February 1, 2016 at 7:09 AM, Bit Banger said:

22 hours ago, SirDigbyChickenCeasar said:

Your dad an Iron Maiden fan?

My dad would get a kick out of this if he had Internet. My dad's favorite band is Count Basey, Lawrence Welk, etc. 

On February 1, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Heidi the Housewife aka The Maui Muse said:

Not to go off topic, yet with Gay Marriage legal, I would be curious as to the rate of divorce within the Gay Community compared to the straight. Reason,  I too know many upon many Gay men and women in committed relationships/married including my favorite cousin (she's been with her wife going on 15+years).

I'm dog sitting for family friend who recently lost his husband to heart attack. I've known them since my teen years(I'm 43), that's almost 30 years. 

This is my understanding that gay marriages last a long time when its n4M. I have been going to gay clubs for many years. Simply because I have a lot of friends there and they play the type of music I enjoy most of my friends outside of the hobby world are guys. 

Men 4 Men: The couples are usually both well educated and both have good jobs. There life are very stable. 

Wemon 4 Wemon: There is a lot of drama, he said she said type of crap. Lots of Repeated arguments arguments. it's very difficult to find a  lesbian relationship who is stable enough to even develop a relationship with.

NIkki,  Now come on, girl, that is just down-right sexist nonsense (or is it reverse-sexist nonsense).  I know lots of lesbians in very committed relationships, and have been struck by how little drama there seems to be.  Of course, these are people 30+ years of age, which may make a difference.  In my work I run across a lot of gay couples (nowadays gay, married, couples), and while I wouldn't presume to say that they are more stable than the rest of the population, it does seem to me that they put more thought into marriage than a lot of straight couples, and therefore I don't see a lot of breakups among committed and married gay couples.