RichardF

Any tips for booking rooms for weekly trysts?

22 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been discussed before.  I'm in Denver, but decided to post in the General Form, anyway.  

What is the best way to find good deals if you're booking rooms several times a month for someone special?  Questions:

• I've been using hotwire and booking.com.  Any other good choices?
  • Hotwire has a discount feature that allows you to get a (non-refundable) room without knowing the identity until you pay.  Anyone try that?  Did it work out?
  • Is it really better to wait until the last minute for good deals?
  • Any other out-the-box thinking on this subject?

I like hotwire. The blind booking works well in Denver as long as you stay 3+ stars and above. Good deals is a relative term but  24 to 48 hours in advance seems to get good results. After you have done it for awhile you will be able to tell which hotels you are getting based on the prices. 

I wonder if anyone is using AirBnB for this?

Air BnB and hotels tonight are what I like. Hotels tonight is an app much like Hotwire :-) Downside of air BnB is that the deposits are so high but totally refundable if you are a respectful guest. :) 

41 minutes ago, RichardF said:

if you're booking rooms several times a month for someone special?  

Oh and as your status says "learning my way" I will ask, are you booking a room for someone to work out of? If so, that adds a huge layer of risk to what is already a fairly risky enterprise. Not saying it can't work out, but if things go wrong...the downside is huge.

4 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Oh and as your status says "learning my way" I will ask, are you booking a room for someone to work out of? If so, that adds a huge layer of risk to what is already a fairly risky enterprise. Not saying it can't work out, but if things go wrong...the downside is huge.

Raoul-  LOL!  No, I'm a nerdy, conservative, dude with a beautiful SB.  Thanks for the great suggestions from you and Just Jos.  Looking into AirBnB right now.

Priceline has worked  for me.  There is a limit on the number of times  you can bid per day.  Start a week ahead of time then bump up the price a little each day.  I have used this to stay anywhere from 1 night to a week in Taos.  Select the number of stars quality hotel.   

8 hours ago, Just Jos said:

Air BnB and hotels tonight are what I like. Hotels tonight is an app much like Hotwire :-) Downside of air BnB is that the deposits are so high but totally refundable if you are a respectful guest. :) 

I am hesitant to use air bnb. I would like to hear your experiences with them.

1 minute ago, Lucy Kitten said:

Me too. For the OP it might make a lot of sense. Say you know you need eight nights over the next month. Once you had a place picked out that met your needs, you could book those nights in advance. Rinse and repeat. 

Only time I have looked at air bnb the minimum stays on the places I liked were 5 nights. But that was a while ago.

15 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

I'm in kind of the same position as the OP wrt SB (triple play acronyms there, nice)

I've been using AirBNB occasionally. With AirBNB you have to tolerate less anonymity. Initial verification of your profile requires a "legitimate" phone number - they wouldn't send a text to my prepaid/burner phone, only my major carrier phone. Reviewing your host help your reputation as a customer but exposes your privacy. I haven't tried changing my profile name yet but I suppose you could hide a bit that way.

Your relationship to the provider (of the room/house/condo/trailer/etc.) is also less anonymous. There's a young guy that's got a nice set of funky, very private places in central Denver and I thought crossed my mind to work out a regular booking deal. But then he becomes connected to my illicit activities. Dealing with a hotel is a lot more anonymous.

I've just been using hotels.com but will start looking at the other options mentioned here. Very useful thread - thanks.

Ink-  Thanks for suggesting Priceline.  Bidding on a room sounds like it might be fun.   :-)

Raoul-  I tried out the Hotwire blind-booking feature for the first time and it worked out perfectly, saving about 20%.  As you were saying, with any sort of detective work (i.e., looking at the Hotwire customer ratings and location) you can reasonably figure out the hotel in advance.  Thanks so much.

MrFister-  There are a lot of interesting articles out there about the proper etiquette for booking AirBNB sexual trysts.  For example, this one.   I would feel uncomfortable bringing a "date" to someones house without telling them in advance; however I'm not sure I have the balls to be up front about it, either.  When I get home from work I plan to PM you about the topic.

28 minutes ago, RichardF said:

MrFister-  There are a lot of interesting articles out there about the proper etiquette for booking AirBNB sexual trysts.  For example, this one.   I would feel uncomfortable bringing a "date" to someones house without telling them in advance; however I'm not sure I have the balls to be up front about it, either.  When I get home from work I plan to PM you about the topic.

I agree with the gist of that article - thanks for the link. I think the place I rented falls outside of the boundaries suggested in the article - it's as close to a "hotel room" and as far from somebody's-residence as you can get on AirBNB. Anyway, I look forward to your PM.

Turns out I needed to find a place for the weekend - FYI, same price on hotels.com and hoteltonight.com. I'll try the blind-booking next time.

Edited by MrFister

11 hours ago, MrFister said:

I'm in kind of the same position as the OP wrt SB (triple play acronyms there, nice)

I've been using AirBNB occasionally. With AirBNB you have to tolerate less anonymity. Initial verification of your profile requires a "legitimate" phone number - they wouldn't send a text to my prepaid/burner phone, only my major carrier phone. Reviewing your host help your reputation as a customer but exposes your privacy. I haven't tried changing my profile name yet but I suppose you could hide a bit that way.

Your relationship to the provider (of the room/house/condo/trailer/etc.) is also less anonymous. There's a young guy that's got a nice set of funky, very private places in central Denver and I thought crossed my mind to work out a regular booking deal. But then he becomes connected to my illicit activities. Dealing with a hotel is a lot more anonymous.

I've just been using hotels.com but will start looking at the other options mentioned here. Very useful thread - thanks.

I have an idea. Let's start a site called air bng and those of use who have properties and engage in the taboo can participate. A incall swap would be amazing!

I don't mind having to be me for air bnb, my problem is traveling as a single woman. I don't know how the ladies do it. Just about every time I travel alone I get questioned. I really hate that. So I am concerned that my reasons for booking may be questioned. Probably paranoid but they do seem way more in your face than a hotel.

1 hour ago, Lucy Kitten said:

I have an idea. Let's start a site called air bng and those of use who have properties and engage in the taboo can participate. A incall swap would be amazing!

How about a private, members-only residence? Could be a lot of fun but also a lot of headaches. Then paying for the anonymity of a hotel begins to sound like a bargain. If it's not already being done, there are probably good reasons :)

I had to use all my real info when booking w air BnB. I hate to use cc that belong to me for work but I had to as they didn't accept my prepaid card. I think I should mention also that I didn't book for a regular work day. It was an overnight thing so I wanted something more comfortable than a hotel that wasn't my personal space. I rented a really sweet two bedroom house in the wash park area. It was in very close proximity to the other neighbors and they surely would have been able to take note if I had had people coming and going by the hour. It wasn't too discreet but it was overall a positive experience. Hope that helps luce🙃 Oh and I also think you are on to something w that air bng! Have I told you lately that you are genius! 😘

:wub: you're too kind! Thanks!

That does actually help. I don't use CC so that counts me out. Air Bnb is so much cheaper than hotels and I was hoping I could use it to save on travels. Cheaper lodging means longer stays and less hustle.

13 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

I don't mind having to be me for air bnb, my problem is traveling as a single woman. I don't know how the ladies do it. Just about every time I travel alone I get questioned. I really hate that. So I am concerned that my reasons for booking may be questioned. Probably paranoid but they do seem way more in your face than a hotel.

This is actually a very good idea. You and other providers should be able to travel freely without being hassled by hotel employees wherever you go. This is still America, right?

10 minutes ago, MisterBigShot said:

This is still America, right?

Depending on who you talk to, that may be the problem. Freedom turns out to be really complicated with all these darn people that seem to disagree with me.:cool:

So HomeAway was a big AirBNB competitor that was recently bought up by Expedia.  They were an amalgamation of smaller rental sites that somehow were able to get all those listings together.  Just another alternative to offer.

Rent a studio. Make the ultimate  love den! Three nights in a hotel would be one month's rent for a studio.  Besides I'm sitting in what's supposed to be super nice Hyatt and I found blood and piss in the bed. Hotels are nasty. 

10 hours ago, leigh5280 said:

Rent a studio. Make the ultimate  love den! Three nights in a hotel would be one month's rent for a studio.  Besides I'm sitting in what's supposed to be super nice Hyatt and I found blood and piss in the bed. Hotels are nasty. 

Yuck..gross! Hope you alerted the management and got a nice discount for your inconvenience.

5 hours ago, MisterBigShot said:

Yuck..gross! Hope you alerted the management and got a nice discount for your inconvenience.

Two complimentary drink tickets! I didn't pay for the room, so I can't go BSC on them, but I did tell the person who flew me out here that he should get some points!