Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bethanie

Why use an envelope? Tradition or valid reason?

41 posts in this topic

Me too. I smile when the envelope I hint isn't necessary but is included anyway is unsealed, because then I can reuse it for real world purposes.

Too bad that your frugality also applies to your website. It's not working...

I like to place the cash in a thank you card in an unsealed envelope. Old school manners I guess.

I like to place the cash in a thank you card in an unsealed envelope. Old school manners I guess.

Old school or not it shows some class. I'm going to start doing that!

I like to use gift bags and a card.

In a envelope might be percieved as "Junk Mail":p

I like to use gift bags and a card.

In a envelope might be percieved as "Junk Mail":p

It is only considered "junk mail" if there isn't anything usefull in there! ;)

Putting the donation in an envelope (at least to me) adds a veneer of classiness to the whole thing. I've always felt it was a bit ghetto when I hand the cash (without an envelope) to a provider. But that's just me.

Never have used an envelope to hard to get the rolled coins in it. :D

It does come in handy though if you don't bother rolling the coins. :D

It is only considered "junk mail" if there isn't anything usefull in there! ;)

I happen to love JUNK mail delivered to all the right places ;)

I still say no envelope! Just put pieces of paper under the soap dish if you want to help with my collage/art 378 project due next week. Plausible deniability - tipping the washroom attendant or the maid maybe? Plus, if the money is wet, we know you really did wash up a little. :-) Even if your hands don't look dirty, there's something sexy about a guy who smells like fresh soap and water.

The envelope thing descends from fourth amendment blah blah about locked containers requiring a separate warrant. Initially, it may have provided a novel and potentially useful defense; however, now that it's become a cliche well documented on the internet, I would think that the caselaw has already negated the envelope thing. In fact, the very presence of an envelope could possibly be seen as "indicia" of intent to commit a crime.

Cops can google, too.

Also, I have heard that the envelope thing has been misused as a scammy tool for some guys who put one dollar bills in the envelope, or xeroxed copies of real money.

I like my soap dish idea. I keep a counterfeit pen in my makeup case, and I haven't used it yet but I could if anything looked weird under my soap dish.