Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wicked

is this the beginning of the end for bp?

12 posts in this topic

Something else will come along to fill the gap, just as backpage took over for craigslist.

The article says bp.com will be run by the same people who have been running it. The print version will have new owners. The magazine has run some very good articles and broken stories the mainstream news has later taken credit for. Why would bp.com change since it is now separate from the print version. I'm more worried about the print than the com. Print version being westword.

Edited by Bulldogger
Clarification

The article says bp.com will be run by the same people who have been running it. The print version will have new owners. The magazine has run some very good articles and broken stories the mainstream news has later taken credit for. Why would bp.com change since it is now separate from the print version. I'm more worried about the print than the com. Print version being westword.

The print company has all of the perceived value, and most likely the capital. If they are leaving the website to fend for it's self then they maybe a lawsuit or two away from extinction. In the past the parent company was a very formidable force, now if they(govt, law suits, assholes, ect) try to shut down the page it will be a much weaker target.

+1

I too got the impression that this is a move to shelter the print-side from potential legal issues and to give it a better chance of surviving for the long haul.

I think the web is flush with cash also. At $2-12 per ad (depending on local), they have a huge revenue source.

I counted close to 80 ads on the Denver board. So $800 just on the Denver board before noon. Multiply that by the 30-50 top cities in the Country? Add in the smaller boards. My guess is the take is in excess of $100,000 daily.

Granted there are expenses: electricity, web access, rent/mortgage, payroll......

They should have a sizable fund for legal defense.

To backpage I say good riddance... it's unsafe and sleazy. On the other hand, if all the junkies and pimps and fakes have nowhere to advertise how can I keep myself away from them in the online realm?

I read somewhere (this was awhile ago, cannot recall where) that Backpage.com takes in approx $45 million annually. The majority of this coming from the adult section.

I doubt they are going to just give that up without a fight.

To backpage I say good riddance... it's unsafe and sleazy. On the other hand, if all the junkies and pimps and fakes have nowhere to advertise how can I keep myself away from them in the online realm?

No venue has a monopoly on unsavory characters. TOB has its share, and I've met a couple of them.

It`s also full of wonderful, respectful, educated, sexy, generous, sensual, and fantastic people. They are my regulars and i have bp to thank for the great experiences i have had (and my new house).