Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caressa Duval

When will we stop shooting our youths!

40 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

1) so why not tanks?  ATACMS?  F-15s?  We have crossed over the line (clearly) of what society can handle.
2) I have purchased a gun several times.  The last time it took 10 minutes (the background check took about 2 minutes, was surprised it was that fast).  I've NEVER done anything at the DMV, including first getting my driver's license (which requires two kinds of tests), in under 30 minutes.
3) Of course it's not the fault of gun owners.  It's the fault of society and legislatures for a severe lack of funding to truly address the mental health and educational gaps (or canyons).  It's more of a comment on the refrain that I often hear "It's not guns - it's a mental health issue", and then little to nothing is done to address the latter.  The pandemic has amplified, as you pointed out, every type of dysfunction.  Alcohol, drugs, suicide, depression and other mental health issues.  We haven't stepped up nearly enough, and there was already a HUGE gap before the pandemic.

I have been a gun owner, and I do believe in some limited rights to guns.  I don't think any civilian needs to have more than a handful of rounds in a magazine, and certainly not 30, 50, 100.  No hunter I know uses more than a 3 or 4, if that.  

I'd add a 4th, which is red flag laws.  We need to bolster them and add enforcement, since we obviously can't/won't get rid of most of the guns that currently exist.  

I don't want to take away guns, but I think it's a reasonable response to what's going on in society to limit guns/ammo/magazine capacity further than we have.  We can still honor the Constitution and set reasonable limits, just like we have with the other Amendments.

I completely agree! What you are describing sounds very much like what Massachusetts has done with gun laws. "Massachusetts has some of the strongest gun laws in the country and leads the nation in investing in community violence intervention strategies. In 2021, Massachusetts had the lowest gun death rate among the states. Far more crime guns are trafficked into Massachusetts than out of the state."

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/gun-ownership-in-massachusetts

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/states/massachusetts/

4 hours ago, Phil-anderer said:

I'd also like to add that this is a very charged topic.  I try to keep it civil while disagreeing with other viewpoints.  Nothing ever changes, nor does compromise typically happen, without that.

It is a charged topic. I feel it needs to stay that way until the laws change. For decades now we keep making mass shootings yesterday's news, and move on. Then they keep happening over and over and over again. We were at 141 mass shootings since 1982 just last month. We have far surpassed that number now. Many of these mass shootings in April never made the news at all.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

14 hours ago, gr8owl said:

Don't need your smart ass snark, thank you.  Just stated facts and opinion.  What is YOUR solution?  Do nothing, right?

I knew your response would be filled with your usual balanced assessment.  As usual,  I'm overwhelmed by your genuine introspection and thoughtfulness. 

Edited by Happymon
Being kind to the Ass-hat

13 hours ago, MrReindeer-9515 said:

Don’t bother asking him: his guns live in their safe and haven’t done anything to anyone. Besides with his head buried so far in the sand he probably couldn’t hear you anyway.

And chiming in from the cheap seats is little Rudolph.....That popping sound you may one day hear us when your head clears your ass.   

3 hours ago, Happymon said:

I knew your response would be filled with your usual balanced assessment.  As usual,  I'm overwhelmed by your genuine introspection and thoughtfulness. 

Aw geeze I'm sorry you finally got splinters in your hemorrhoids from the stick up your ass.  Thank you for confirming and illustrating perfectly that what I said is the main problem is indeed hitting very close to home.  You are perfectly channeling exactly what has gotten totally fucked up in the country and right here on the forum.  How about if you just answer the simple question - what do you propose doing - not about imaginary crime surges, not about covid, not crying like a spoiled brat over masks, or any of the other irrelevant bullshit you brought up and were given a pass on but the mass shootings where children are dying.  What is your solution? Do you even have one or are you perfectly happy the way things are and being the poster child for what happens when pointless hate and discontent is a daily torrent from the fringes who only create problems but never solve them? Drop the smug ignorance and actually propose something productive ..... or admit you don't know.  Nope, much easier to attack anyone that does not swallow the orange pill and cry out for more.  

Here's another brain teaser for you.  Switzerland has almost 100 percent gun ownership, yet it does NOT have a mass shooter problem and lunatics shooting up children.  They too have mental health issues, they too went through covid, they too deal with every thing on your list you wish to be offended by and to tack on the door of an  imaginary offending liberal at large.  They do not have EXACTLY what I proposed as the main cause.  When you finish pulling out the splinters how about an intelligent response to that?  Or just go back to shooing the little bastards off your lawn - just don't shoot at them, please.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:17 AM, gr8owl said:

I hate to interrupt the "I have a God given right to guns" fringe versus the "ban and confiscate all guns" fringe argument that solves nothing and leaves the moderates like me just shaking their heads, but here is what I think the real problem is.  The politics and industry of lies, hate and division.  One small example is the 84 year old guy who shot the black kid who was just trying to find his siblings.  Bombard the guy with 24/7 propaganda bout how violent crime is soaring (it isn't) and how Black Lives Matter people are communists trying to steal everything you hold dear (most in the movement, nope!) and violently over throw free enterprise, stir in some basic racism and the claim that black folks are violent criminals and precisely how is it at all surprising that the 84 year old awakened by a strange black male at his door was scared and reacted by inexcusably shooting the kid?  How does this surprise anyone?  You want to know who is truly to blame try Rupert Murdoch, Steve Bannon, donald trump, and the plethora of internet sites masquerading as news sites blasting out hate and division as a business model 24/7.  And the other fringe promoting far, far left crap that most of us do not want either and that appears to validate the far right lunacy. Would getting rid of AR-15's fix everything?  No, I don't think so but it may help.  Pick between a guy with an AR-15 and plenty of ammo wanting to kill you versus a guy carrying a club wanting to kill you - guess which one I pick to deal with every time? To really fix anything we have to stop the industry of hate and division.  And an industry it is because it lets these despicable pieces of shit gain power, money and influence and get a totally incompetent charlatan elected.  It has to stop if we are to solve ANYTHING. Feeding millons of people a steady diet of hate and discontent 24/7 and telling them the "other side" is stealing their country as a business model - how is it remotely a suprise that we see mass shootings and senseless violence?  Gotta change. Not holding my breath.

Grandson of Ralph Yarl's shooter says he was into 'weird, random, racist things'

Have we done enough damage yet! With the count from Allen, Texas gun violence has killed 601 wee ones in 2023 thus far. A 6 year old is left an orphan in Allen, Texas when both his parents, and sibling were killed. The 6 year old is in the hospital now with gun shot wounds himself.

Keep your prayers! Prayers do not stop bullets! Prayers do not console grieving mothers and fathers, trust me I know :(

I hear radio ads for the upcoming gun shows in Colorado. "Get your guns in 1 hour, before the laws change in Colorado".

The manufacturing of a "new to us" type AR rifle that can penetrate Kevlar is in high gear. Place to import them to the USA on the rise. Why would anyone in the USA need to have a fire arm that penetrates Kevlar. Who are you trying to shoot. The people that are there to protect us. The police? The first responders?

The USA now has travel advisories from 7 countries. Travel at risk due to hate crimes, and gun violence. I am sure more countries will follow. Think about that! It was always other countries that had travel advisories and travel bans. Now it is us.

It is not mental disease, it is not drugs, it is not video games. It is guns and pure hate!

I can remember how this forum was all in distress when the Boulder grocery store mass shooting happened. Boy everyone was so upset here. Remember, it was Colorado that set the bar for school shootings.

*"The family of Eugene Stoner, the creator of the AR-15, a rifle that has been used in previous mass shootings, said that he never intended the gun for civilian use and that he never owned one himself. 'Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47," Stoner's family told NBC News Wednesday. "He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

It is brutally obvious to me that guns are not needed to kill someone. A person could just choke someone for 15 minutes until they die, when they are hungry, thirsty, and fed up.#JordanNeely.  Not to mention, making a car a weapon to kill 8 in Brownsville, Texas.

NONE can compete with the more than 14,000 people that have perished to guns in the USA in 2023. It is only May!

I am FED up!! This country has lost all compassion for life!!! A school ager's life, a woman's life, a man's life, and mostly we have lost compassion for the lives of people with color.

Think long and hard this Mother's Day of all the mothers that have lost their off-springs to guns.

Save your prayers. Demand your representatives enable gun laws immediately!!!!!!!!

IT IS THE GUNS!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/116-people-died-gun-violence-day-us-year/story?id=97382759

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-16/family-of-ar-15-inventor-eugene-stoner-gun-wasnt-meant-for-civilians

3 hours ago, Caressa Duval said:

Have we done enough damage yet! With the count from Allen, Texas gun violence has killed 601 wee ones in 2023 thus far. A 6 year old is left an orphan in Allen, Texas when both his parents, and sibling were killed. The 6 year old is in the hospital now with gun shot wounds himself.

Keep your prayers! Prayers do not stop bullets! Prayers do not console grieving mothers and fathers, trust me I know :(

I hear radio ads for the upcoming gun shows in Colorado. "Get your guns in 1 hour, before the laws change in Colorado".

The manufacturing of a "new to us" type AR rifle that can penetrate Kevlar is in high gear. Place to import them to the USA on the rise. Why would anyone in the USA need to have a fire arm that penetrates Kevlar. Who are you trying to shoot. The people that are there to protect us. The police? The first responders?

The USA now has travel advisories from 7 countries. Travel at risk due to hate crimes, and gun violence. I am sure more countries will follow. Think about that! It was always other countries that had travel advisories and travel bans. Now it is us.

It is not mental disease, it is not drugs, it is not video games. It is guns and pure hate!

I can remember how this forum was all in distress when the Boulder grocery store mass shooting happened. Boy everyone was so upset here. Remember, it was Colorado that set the bar for school shootings.

*"The family of Eugene Stoner, the creator of the AR-15, a rifle that has been used in previous mass shootings, said that he never intended the gun for civilian use and that he never owned one himself. 'Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47," Stoner's family told NBC News Wednesday. "He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

It is brutally obvious to me that guns are not needed to kill someone. A person could just choke someone for 15 minutes until they die, when they are hungry, thirsty, and fed up.#JordanNeely.  Not to mention, making a car a weapon to kill 8 in Brownsville, Texas.

NONE can compete with the more than 14,000 people that have perished to guns in the USA in 2023. It is only May!

I am FED up!! This country has lost all compassion for life!!! A school ager's life, a woman's life, a man's life, and mostly we have lost compassion for the lives of people with color.

Think long and hard this Mother's Day of all the mothers that have lost their off-springs to guns.

Save your prayers. Demand your representatives enable gun laws immediately!!!!!!!!

IT IS THE GUNS!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/116-people-died-gun-violence-day-us-year/story?id=97382759

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-16/family-of-ar-15-inventor-eugene-stoner-gun-wasnt-meant-for-civilians

Edited by Mr.Pink

On 4/21/2023 at 10:37 AM, gr8owl said:

Aw geeze I'm sorry you finally got splinters in your hemorrhoids from the stick up your ass.  Thank you for confirming and illustrating perfectly that what I said is the main problem is indeed hitting very close to home.  You are perfectly channeling exactly what has gotten totally fucked up in the country and right here on the forum.  How about if you just answer the simple question - what do you propose doing - not about imaginary crime surges, not about covid, not crying like a spoiled brat over masks, or any of the other irrelevant bullshit you brought up and were given a pass on but the mass shootings where children are dying.  What is your solution? Do you even have one or are you perfectly happy the way things are and being the poster child for what happens when pointless hate and discontent is a daily torrent from the fringes who only create problems but never solve them? Drop the smug ignorance and actually propose something productive ..... or admit you don't know.  Nope, much easier to attack anyone that does not swallow the orange pill and cry out for more.  

Here's another brain teaser for you.  Switzerland has almost 100 percent gun ownership, yet it does NOT have a mass shooter problem and lunatics shooting up children.  They too have mental health issues, they too went through covid, they too deal with every thing on your list you wish to be offended by and to tack on the door of an  imaginary offending liberal at large.  They do not have EXACTLY what I proposed as the main cause.  When you finish pulling out the splinters how about an intelligent response to that?  Or just go back to shooing the little bastards off your lawn - just don't shoot at them, please.

My, my such venom. You've been apparently been seething about a COVID post I made two years ago?? Damn.  I guess this means that date night this week is off? 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Happymon said:

My, my such venom. You've been apparently been seething about a COVID post I made two years ago?? Damn.  I guess this means that date night this week is off? 🤣🤣

Well, it wasn’t 2 years, but it took you almost a month to come up with this weak bullshit and you still can’t cite any solutions?  You would look less stupid if you didn’t even bother.

3 hours ago, Happymon said:

I have no idea what you posted about covid other than a vague recollection of you unfortunately changing from level headed and logical to full on delusional trumper and being snarky about it.  I do not get offended by someone having a different opinion, especially if they are interested in an intelligent conversation.  What I responded to and do take issue with is snarky and insulting comments substituting for simply stating why it is you apparently are offended by my having a different opinion. Like you did in THIS thread. 

Now about the question I asked.