Hobby Hobbit -Banned

Under the Radar

13 posts in this topic

With too much to lose for a hobby, I only use a private browser and VPN, a texting app, drive an older car that is not equipped with GPS/Onstar to safeguard my info and location and screen for a private residence. I even prefer to shut off the phone OMW when possible to avoid being pinged to the nearest tower. So cautious my encounters are few and far between, I'd have it no other way while still curious to know the extent to which others go to feel safe. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Hobby Hobbit

On 1/21/2022 at 11:23 PM, Hobby Hobbit said:

With too much to lose for a hobby, I only use a private browser and VPN, a texting app, drive an older car that is not equipped with GPS/Onstar to safeguard my info and location and screen for a private residence. I even prefer to shut off the phone OMW when possible to avoid being pinged to the nearest tower. So cautious my encounters are few and far between, I'd have it no other way while still curious to know the extent to which others go to feel safe. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, Great!

I do a lot of the same things...  My main risky thing is that I have a separate hobby phone for texting.  Always a little fearful it's going to be found.  

When I arrive at a meet, I scan the area trying to gain situational awareness for LEOs, etc...

I also do not meet too close to my main stomping ground.  I know enough people in the area that, while small, the risk is too high that I'll run into someone I know.

I think it’s good to do what makes YOU feel comfortable. Nerves and anxiety can get in the way of fun. My experiences are more adventurous and enjoyable when all parties are comfortable and relaxed.😉

On 8/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, Audrey Astor said:

I think it’s good to do what makes YOU feel comfortable. Nerves and anxiety can get in the way of fun. My experiences are more adventurous and enjoyable when all parties are comfortable and relaxed.😉

I can only imagine but, it seems you forgot, memorable.:wub:

I don't go to the same lengths but would like to add one step I do take.

Google maps and perhaps others track your location throughout the day by default settings. Look for "Timeline". You can clear parts or all of the history, to me that appears like an effort of trying to hide something. I disabled it completely, reason? Google doesn't need to know my habits.

Now I'm a paranoid crackpot not a boyfriend/husband/public official trying to cover something up.

On that note read up on Brave browser vs chrome/edge/duckduckgo/firefox. 

Deeper down the rabbit hole, does TOB have a .onion address?

On 8/23/2022 at 4:53 AM, Tantis said:

I don't go to the same lengths but would like to add one step I do take.

Google maps and perhaps others track your location throughout the day by default settings. Look for "Timeline". You can clear parts or all of the history, to me that appears like an effort of trying to hide something. I disabled it completely, reason? Google doesn't need to know my habits.

Now I'm a paranoid crackpot not a boyfriend/husband/public official trying to cover something up.

On that note read up on Brave browser vs chrome/edge/duckduckgo/firefox. 

Deeper down the rabbit hole, does TOB have a .onion address?

Yeah, I'm sure they still do but, I stopped ALLOWING Google Maps to track my movement long ago. As for the browser, I hadn't heard of Brave but will stick with Firefox as the browser and FuckDuckGo as the search engine :P for everyday use. Using TOR for my adult friendships, both real and imagined, which hadn't been working on Skipthegames, my go-to watering hole since hardly anyone stocks the pond south of Lonetree :angry: to Colorado Springs, and no one does south of that! Coincidentally, I was surprised to see TOR work on it for a good part of this morning, but then it wouldn't anymore; was that because you mentioned it?

Capture.PNG

Edited by Hobby Hobbit

On 8/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, CountryGentleman said:

I do a lot of the same things...  My main risky thing is that I have a separate hobby phone for texting.  Always a little fearful it's going to be found.  

When I arrive at a meet, I scan the area trying to gain situational awareness for LEOs, etc...

I also do not meet too close to my main stomping ground.  I know enough people in the area that, while small, the risk is too high that I'll run into someone I know.

I know only providers are allowed to use them but, have you tried a texting app? Some even offer a browser-based version. I know what you mean about running into someone I know. That and stings are the main reason I won't do rooms. And, finding a friend in a residential incall with alley access or a common entry point for all residents? Somebody's winning the POWERball!

Edited by Hobby Hobbit

4 hours ago, Hobby Hobbit said:

I know only providers are allowed to use them but, have you tried a texting app? Some even offer a browser-based version. I know what you mean about running into someone I know. That and stings are the main reason I won't do rooms. And, finding a friend in a residential incall with alley access or a common entry point for all residents? Somebody's winning the POWERball!

RE: Texting apps, I haven't found one yet that doesn't tie to my real phone number and is reliable.  Maybe there's one out there, but I haven't found it yet.  Also, some of the best ladies like to have at least one voice call which is also hard to do on my real phone without it being tied back to me in some way.  The separate phone is the only way I've found to be completely separate from my RW phone.

On 8/29/2022 at 0:55 PM, Hobby Hobbit said:

Coincidentally, I was surprised to see TOR work on it for a good part of this morning, but then it wouldn't anymore; was that because you mentioned it?

Capture.PNG

99.9% of my browsing I'm not worried about cookies, using a VPN or my traffic going to my ISP. I rarely use TOR, was just a curiosity. I try to avoid flaky sites, plenty of those everywhere but a sure thing on TOR.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:35 AM, Tantis said:

99.9% of my browsing I'm not worried about cookies, using a VPN or my traffic going to my ISP. I rarely use TOR, was just a curiosity. I try to avoid flaky sites, plenty of those everywhere but a sure thing on TOR.

Considering you do have a concern about location tracking and were even curious if TOB had a ".onion address", now I'm curious, why care at all if not fully? Is it you have nothing to lose, or that it's not worth the trouble?

On 9/5/2022 at 4:05 PM, Hobby Hobbit said:

Considering you do have a concern about location tracking and were even curious if TOB had a ".onion address", now I'm curious, why care at all if not fully? Is it you have nothing to lose, or that it's not worth the trouble?

As much as the next guy I would say. I am only worried about that .1 which is underestimated for effect. Just staying the majority of my activities are benign and would be humdrum to most. Thus not would about that data being collected. 

VMs, proxies, containers, VPNs, TOR, etc all have their place.