Hunter VanDyke

For the Old-timers...

133 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2019 at 1:48 PM, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Crissy I think you are referring to "Oregon Trail". That's the game that came with every new Mac computer it was on a CD

"Wagon Train" was a long running TV series starring Ward Bond.. "Waaaagon's Hooo"

To all of the older car buffs I would offer, "My 4 speed, dual quad, Posi-Traction 409 

Hahahahahha Guess I am not that old then 😂😂 I can't even get the names right 

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

Nope, that actually means you're old when you stop remember shit. Lol. Welcome to the Sometimers club 😂😂😂

On 8/18/2019 at 11:49 PM, sparkey600 said:

Me?

I lost a lot when I fractured my ankle and tore some tendons while..... dumb ass drum roll.....watering plants.(They were Snap Dragons, so that makes my injury cool)  I've been laid up since June 6. Seven weeks in "the boot". Another 3 weeks with a cane like I had a bent sticker bush crammed up my ass. No Harley riding, no working in the yard like I like to do, no walking for more than a couple hundred feet per day no being on my feet for only a few minutes per attempt........Bad stuff.... The days I feel good, I pay for it in spades the next day all swelled up and sore as Hell.. On the plus side. At least I'm walking, that's a very good thing. I've been a big, strong man my whole adult life. This has given me a new perspective and has been a very humbling experience.I guess my point is this: Never take for granted the things you have been blessed with, they can be taken away in an instant, your doing or not.

To all of my friends here, stay well and happy!  

On 8/20/2019 at 11:32 AM, Chrissy said:

Sparkey, we miss you! Glad to hear you're still handing in there. I hope these next 3 weeks fly by for you. I know I've had a huge reminder this week, that no matter how big my current struggles are, it can always be worse. I'm actually thankful I'm having these struggles now, because it means I still have my loved one around to have these struggles with. Glad to see you are staying strong, and counting your blessings. 💙💙💙

On 8/19/2019 at 1:15 AM, Sundance said:

You guys are hilarious...i always get a good laugh out of these kinds of posts!!!  Carry on!!  Good Post Hunter

Sundance,please contribute to this thread.Like to hear what a youngsters oldest memory is :)

Trying to explain to anyone under 30 what a steam traction engine is and what they were used for. No, I wasn't around when they were new but my Granddad taught me to how to run one.

4 hours ago, lowboy said:

Trying to explain to anyone under 30 what a steam traction engine is and what they were used for. No, I wasn't around when they were new but my Granddad taught me to how to run one.

You can teach me. Lol. I'm way past 30, but still have no idea how to run one. 🙃

21 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

You can teach me. Lol. I'm way past 30, but still have no idea how to run one. 🙃

I'm supposed to teach a lady how to fire a boiler for an engine powering a saw mill this weekend.

13 minutes ago, lowboy said:

I'm supposed to teach a lady how to fire a boiler for an engine powering a saw mill this weekend.

I enjoy teaching how to use hand saws, planes, and chisels for woodworking.  Steam is for bending wood. 😁

Please, lowboy, keep these older technologies alive.  I fondly remember attending Threshers’ conventions with my grandfather.  Watching all the old steam tractors with their PTOs driving other equipment.

Edited by Bit Banger

Just now, Bit Banger said:

I enjoy teaching how to use hand saws, planes, and chisels for woodworking.  Steam is for bending wood. 😁

I'd enjoy learning how to bend wood with steam.

2 minutes ago, lowboy said:

I'd enjoy learning how to bend wood with steam.

It can be fun.  I did it while learning how to make Windsor chairs.  It requires riven (split) wood so that the grain runs all the way from one end to the other.  Also bending forms & holding pegs, and compression straps.  We used a 2gal gas can on a turkey fry propane stove for steam generation and 4” PVC pipe for a steam box.  Don’t forget the gloves as you’re handling hot wood.

1 hour ago, lowboy said:

She's a lucky lady! I know that! You're such a sweetheart. 💙💙💙

On 8/26/2019 at 6:03 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

Oh darlin'! I'd rather have you teach me a few things!