TheWhisperer

Second Number Options

8 posts in this topic

There are a few options out there for a second number. Until recently you had to get a separate phone and load it with minutes or just purchase a plan. This means that you had to actually carry the phone around with you. This was not very convenient or descreet:(

Now there are apps like Sideline* which allow you to use your phones data to handle the call. These are great options as there is No hardware investment. Apps can be free and some offer benefits when purchasing a subscription.

Please provide your own suggestions and why you feel it's a good option to use:)

* we do not endorse this app and have not be compensated in any way

I use Google Voice, but it's a pain. I don't install the GV app because it integrates too much with my phone.  Instead, I use the web application.  Sometimes I miss texts or they won't send and call quality isn't great.  Since I'm an infrequent hobbyist, I accept the inconvenience.  I definitely wouldn't run my business with it, though.

Whatsapp recently implemented end-to-end encryption, so your calls and text messages can't be intercepted. Unfortunately, it's not a real phone #.  I has to be linked to your phone and you can only call/text other Whatsapp members. Still, if enough people start using it, it's an excellent option.

I've also tried sideline and burner apps.  Both work well for calls, text, and SMS (pics/video).  Sideline is free as long as you don't mind the ads. Burner will cost you.

I use Sideline and have been pleased with it.  Easy and convenient and as been pointed out, free version has ads.  I am using the free version and if you are dormant for too long, you get messages asking you to use the number again or it will be recycled.  Not an issue for me as it is very easy to send a text or make a quick call to reset the timer so the number is not recycled.

I've been using Hushed, but find the number recycling is definitely an issue. You buy minutes/text, select a number and it expires after 5 days (downside, maybe), but there is no residual.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:33 AM, BadLeroyBrown said:

I've been using Hushed, but find the number recycling is definitely an issue. You buy minutes/text, select a number and it expires after 5 days (downside, maybe), but there is no residual.

You can extend your number for up to a year on hushed.  I use it as well.

Far and away the simplest and most secure option remains a separate phone with prepay plan or renewable minutes.  Trac phone for one.  Then DO NOT access any of your non-hobby numbers, forum sites, social media, e-mails, etc. from your hobby phone.  The second number on one phone thing is all fine and well as long as you remember some very capable programmers at Google have a high priority goal of using the various insidious aps - google + the worst, photo, gmail, and on and on - to link together ALL of your accounts and connections to your contacts.  You think Facebook is evil in this regard, wait to you get acquainted with google +.  I have seen more than one incident of a provider's REAL name and one of her clients REAL name being linked together WITH TOB posts on one or the other's google plus page.  There are some very capable computer geeks here that are capable of protecting themselves from these insidious data mining travesties.  I get by but not well enough to feel certain. So my sincere recommendation to one and all: unless you are one of those super computer geeks - separate, separate, separate. Never mix hobby and "real" resources and especially not on your mobile device whose operating system and aps are from the google devil itself.  Just one john's opinion.

Oh, and for clarity this has NOTHING to do with provider screening, etc.  It has only to do with protecting your information from the demons of the internet including FB, G+, etc.

Edited by gr8owl

1 hour ago, aj1530 said:

You can extend your number for up to a year on hushed.  I use it as well.

I think I knew that you could extend, but it never gives me the option, and then 5 days later it's done, and so is my fun until next time. I should check to see what it cost to keep a number long term. All this second phone talk sounds kinda low tech, and unnecessary. With the apps we have today I can't really see any reason to carry a second phone .

I have a second phone - tracfone - paid in cash, and additional minutes are paid in cash.  Not very good for texting, though.