Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bit Banger

Market value vs Individual worth

8 posts in this topic

In another thread Lucy said, "We're humans. When you negotiate a providers rate you are negotiating what YOU think she's worth."

Lucy, I have a mantra for you and anyone else who thinks that their compensation defines their human worth.

The value of my services may be controlled by the market, but I AM PRICELESS!

Repeat it often.  Believe it!  Because it's true.  Lucy, you are a vibrant, passionate contributor to this community.  A PITA sometimes, but none the less priceless.  Having met you, I know that there are many other areas of your life you are passionate about.  Embrace them.

The concept that you are defined by your occupation, that your worth as an individual is tied to your compensation, is so narrow minded.  And so wrong!

Human beings are multi-facetted creatures, with a variety of interests.  The value of one's services, or of the products one creates, may be controlled by market forces in complex ways.  But the value of an individual is defined by their inner strength, by their interactions with the world, their integrity, their compassion.  And these qualities are w/in your control.  Don't look to others for validation, but rather find your inner worth.  If you don't like what you see, then work to change that. 

Edited by Bit Banger

Just can't let it go, can ya?

The thing about advice, no matter how good or well intentioned(and yours is neither IMO): the wise don't need it,  and fools won't heed it. 

Which leaves us with the fact your advice is unwelcome, unnecessary, and very possibly misinformed.

Having said that, my advice to you:

If you feel so strongly that you can manage any of these wonen's business better than they can, offer your services as a pimp or STFU.

10 minutes ago, MrReindeer-9515 said:

Just can't let it go, can ya?

Nope!  I can't stand by and watch someone debase themselves because they feel that what they charge for their services defines their worth as a person.

11 minutes ago, MrReindeer-9515 said:

If you feel so strongly that you can manage any of these wonen's business better than they can, offer your services as a pimp or STFU.

Nope!  I don't want to manage anyone else's business.  I have enough trouble managing my own life :o

Oh good grief. Where to even begin.

1. If you want to make it personal, don't make a public thread, send me an email. But then your condescension wouldn't be visible for anyone.

2. We met once, you don't know me and using what you think you know in public forum is just in incredibly poor taste.

3. My rates are below TOB average, so what's that about confusing rate and worth with market again?

4. I said repeatedly that you the client determining worth and making an offer based on your perception of value is dehumanizing and devalues the product.

5. My passion is limitless and multifaceted. But what I am currently most passionate about is a happy and healthy future for my fellow sex workers.

6. I will happily take your sanctimonious bullshit if it means another provider doesn't have to deal with it.

7. My self-esteem, self-worth and self-image are all at very healthy levels. If anything my ego is a little over inflated. 

8. My knowledge of my industry supersedes yours. You may have been a long term participant but attitudes and beliefs change while yours seem to be frozen in time, like in the 50s.

9. Bite the weenie for real. Don't make your inability to understand my point about me.

10. This is the last place I would ever look for validation. 

11. Compassion and integrity, based on this post don't seem to be your strong points. Compassion would be to talk to someone privately if you thought they were "debasing" themselves and integrity would be to not call someone out by name on a public forum.

Can you imagine if there was a price on every pussy in the world? What would this world cum too?