Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yesenia-4618

The real job thing

6 posts in this topic

I got this bright Idea and would have been ok if  a lot a different things.  To make a long story short I started cleaning the apts where I live and the assholes haven't paid me they said they would not three day me because they owe me.  Then the 15th of the month roles along and they stick a three day on my door with this outrageous amount to pay I have an attorney but dont have any where to go should I loose the court proceedings I should be ok but you never know so I was wondering if anybody out there that owns prooperty has a house to rent if so pm me.

Lemme make sure I understand.....

• You work for the apt complex where you live
  • They haven't paid you for your work
  • You haven't paid your rent (presumably you could/would pay your rent if you had the funds they owe you)
  • They're evicting you for non-payment

That's pretty jacked up.  If there's not more to the story, I doubt any reasonable judge/arbitrator will toss you out.

I have to agree with Keyser on this one. If they haven't paid you/owe you money so you can pay the rent, they don't have grounds to evict.

In fact, they should have to pay court/attorney fees.

Sorry about your troubles, Yesenia. 

I suspect the real problem here is that you have nothing in writing. Just a verbal agreement with the local manager that corporate does not acknowledge. They just want their money. 

My best advice - move! Even if it's resolved, there'll be bad blood & problems down the road. 

I'm guessing Bit is correct. If you were hired by the complex and have all the employment forms that come along with that....you MAY be okay. However, I'm guessing like most apartments in Denver, it is owned by a huge corporation with money and lawyers to spare. You could fight it, as it is free or very cheap to file a counterclaim...but against them, still difficult to win. I actually tried to do this many many years ago when given a three day, I was 100 short on rent at the time and even if I paid it, they continued with the eviction process. Long story short, I got hit with fees up the wazoo and my wages garnished at 25% to pay back a sudden $4,000 I owed them (court fees, lawyer fees, eviction costs etc etc). This was quite a while ago. I fortunately own now, so no worries for me. Good luck, and be careful.

Assuming your situation is as described by the previous posters, a rental contract is separate from any agreement you had for cleaning services you provided.  

Do everything you can to avoid having an eviction associated with your name.  As a landlord  I do a background check on every prospective tenant.  Your application goes in the circular file if an eviction is on your record.  You need a clean background check  if you want to rent in this rental market.  An eviction will limit your choices on where you can live and who will rent to you.  You are now high risk so it will cost you more to rent.

I have had a couple employee's wages garnished due to breaking a lease.  As Abigail mentioned, these corporations that own apartment complexes will take you to court and have you evicted within as early as 2 weeks.