Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SD1958

has the board become less civil?

68 posts in this topic

...not some douchenozzle that just finished a 36-hour bender on World of Warcraft and is pissed his wizard lost an epic battle on the island of Corinthian...

<sarcasm font on>Hey it was only a 18 hour bender! And my damn loot did not drop for like the 4th week in a row!!<sarcasm font off>:rolleyes:

Your post is good advice Oxy' :) don't feed the trolls and they will wander away.

:) don't feed the trolls and they will wander away.

So I finally read through all 61 posts in this thread to have it all boil down to this; isn't the internet wonderful.:P

It's a little more complicated than that though. Forget the trolls, we've never had problems fighting among ourselves. TOB was born in battle of the board wars and it took a couple years before emerging victorious. Over the years there were a times when things got so heated that T.O. would shut the board down for a couple days to give everyone a time out and again that was usually fights among ourselves.

I come from a very large extended family and some of you will certainly know of growing up in those kind of families; lot's of siblings, lot's of aunt's and uncles, cousins in the dozens and that was just as a kid growing up, start throwing in nieces and nephews and any kind of family gathering becomes a large group affair. The amazing thing, to me at least, is how generations of people can grow up in the same town, neighborhood, house and as kids even sleep in the same bed and yet be so completely different as individuals to the point that some can't stand each other. Even though I may have a brother or cousin that I think are assholes they are still family and that implies a caring for family that underlies any antagonisms that exist on the surface.

So while I may have over the years been a little over antagonistic towards some of you it's always been while loving you as family. Because we are a family of sorts; a family of societal convention breakers, law breakers, yet not lawless as we have our own standards of etiquette & morality in the hobby/profession. While we may have no problems cutting each other down from time to time any attacks from outside the family/tribal group brings us together quickly. The tribe even has it's own traditional enemy in the dreaded blue meanies.

So no the board is not "less civil" over the years it's become more so as the family/tribal/community awareness grows for whatever core group of users currently exists as TOB. So what if I have to put up with that drunken uncle or slutty aunt or obnoxious cousin you're all still family to me and I'll have no problem in treating you as such.;)

...Happy Hobbying...

...Crazy Horse...

Very good points , Crazy.

........And so the wagons start circling......

Yeah, some of us ole farts have been pummeled so often that we should be considered thoroughly tenderized. :D.

< insert picture of Ms. Julia Child with a piece of flank steak >

Let me add a "Well said, CH."

T.O. would shut the board down for a couple days to give everyone a time out

^ This was one of his best moves.

I'd picture all the bitchers and moaners having nowhere else to vent and realizing the value of what the Admin. has provided for this "playground".

The PMs/e-mails I received (and a few calls from my inner circle), were either civil, antagonistic or humble and gave me a good picture of where I needed to be as a moderator here.

HAHA! I remember when that happened....a couple of times, seemed to help too.