Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Open Relationships -- Yay or Nay, Guys?

38 posts in this topic

... time enough to love..."

One of my ATF books (& author), with a very interesting philosophy on the subject at hand :cool:

One of my ATF books (& author), with a very interesting philosophy on the subject at hand :cool:

Mine as well, it's why I (mis)quoted it, twice.:cool:

Edited by MrReindeer
Science! And add reference to Howard Families from prior post.

My views are very similar to Mike's Again widowed and have a tendency to stick with relatively few ladies. When I was married I was true and so was she I am fairly positive. I would have to answer the question with a NO. I would not want to be in an open relationship. I personally could not handle it. I believe that when in a relationship having that intimate contact is just one of the things that make that relationship special and I would not want to give that up. I don't think that I am jealous in certain ways but just losing that something special would have a tendency to undermine my relationship. Yes other cultures have their more's but ours does not and this is the culture that I am rooted in. On the other hand I can see that men and women are different in the way most view a sexual relationship. Men can have sex with little emotional attachment most of the time. I think women are the opposite. I think that most of the ladies on this board who have significant others will attest that their work relationships do not have a lot of emotional attachments and the relationship they have with their SO is significantly different. We read about romances on this board and how 99% have not ended well usually probably in part to the fact that the relationship is an open one but eventually one side wants it to become exclusive. Correct me if I am wrong.

A lot of people get sex and emotions mixed up. I get that. For some people it's hard to separate. For me and my wife we understand one another and we both know that no matter what happens between the sheets, we will be taking care of one another, having a nice dinner together, reading the Sunday paper in the morning and being there for each other no matter what the world throws at us, and thrust me on this we've been through a lot together.

We're best friends, lovers and warriors.

Mine as well, it's why I (mis)quoted it, twice.:cool:

I wondered.....

Ahhhh, Lazarus Long. The full and correct quote (with which I generally agree) is:

"Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up on the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle for mere equality."

Lots of tidbits that can apply to "the hobby" and this subject in Time enough for love, also one of my favorites:

"Everybody lies about sex"

"A woman is not property, and husbands who think otherwise are living in a dreamworld"

"Men are more sentimental than women. It blurs their thinking."

And to those guys stuck in a sexless marriage, he offers:

"It is better to copulate than never" and

"Masturbation is cheap, clean, convenient, and free of any possibility of wrong doing......and you don't have to go home in the cold. But it's Lonely. "

I wondered.....

Ahhhh, Lazarus Long. The full and correct quote (with which I generally agree) is:

"Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up on the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle for mere equality."

Lots of tidbits that can apply to "the hobby" and this subject in Time enough for love, also one of my favorites:

"Everybody lies about sex"

"A woman is not property, and husbands who think otherwise are living in a dreamworld"

"Men are more sentimental than women. It blurs their thinking."

And to those guys stuck in a sexless marriage, he offers:

"It is better to copulate than never" and

"Masturbation is cheap, clean, convenient, and free of any possibility of wrong doing......and you don't have to go home in the cold. But it's Lonely. "

While that's a good one, and accurate, the passage I was misquoting was the source of the title: "...if only there were time enough to love all those deserving...", or something to that effect(I can't find my copy, it's lost in my backseat).

That may well be Green Pea, but if ya were just interested in Bit's OPINION, ya could have just PM'ed him; but instead ya posted in a public forum... but hey you'll have as many posts as some of the other tools around here in no time!

Right. Why the fuck would I want anyone's opinion on a forum board? Crazy notion indeed.

My only real problem with polygamy is the implication of state/society sanctions, i.e. marriage. IMHO the state should stay out of relationships, except perhaps where {forbidden subject} are involved, and then only for their protection. Other than that it's a matter of contract management. For tax purposes: add all the income(I), count mouths to feed(H), subtract the personal deductions(D), and apply the tax rate®. Tax=(I - HxD) xR%

That solves taxing groups, no matter the size or composition.