Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peoplay

Hello everyone

11 posts in this topic

New to the site and new to the hobby. Been lurking and reading as much as possible. I figured it was time to stop lurking.

I am up in Northern Colorado. I suffer from some pretty debilitating anxiety which makes getting down to Denver pretty much impossible. Heck even Ft. Collins is pretty much impossible. With being new and no references does that mean I am pretty much out of luck?

Even if I am out of luck I will probably still stick around. Seems like a pretty active board.

I am up in Northern Colorado. I suffer from some pretty debilitating anxiety which makes getting down to Denver pretty much impossible. Heck even Ft. Collins is pretty much impossible. With being new and no references does that mean I am pretty much out of luck?

I would say outcall (she comes to you) is the best option. However, if you're out in the sticks, plan on spending a lot more than an incall rate.

Good Luck! :)

Welcome to the board,I think you need a road trip. Hobby well and prosper. NCC

Xanax and a bus pass.

New to the site and new to the hobby. Been lurking and reading as much as possible. I figured it was time to stop lurking.

Even if I am out of luck I will probably still stick around. Seems like a pretty active board.

I would say outcall (she comes to you) is the best option. However, if you're out in the sticks, plan on spending a lot more than an incall rate.

Good Luck! :)

Yeah I figured outcall will be the best and probably only option. I am willing to pay extra for the added convenience for myself. Figured with being new outcall will be a bit harder to find. I will have to research and research some more

Welcome to the board,I think you need a road trip. Hobby well and prosper. NCC

Thanks! If I ever figure out this anxiety stuff I plan on many many road trips.

Xanax and a bus pass.

I take klonopin daily to keep my sanity still pretty much stuck in my town. Last summer I had to go the ER for emergency surgery. Shot of Ativan in the ass and still had panic attacks. I am on the more extreme side with 'Agoraphobia'

I take klonopin daily to keep my sanity still pretty much stuck in my town. Last summer I had to go the ER for emergency surgery. Shot of Ativan in the ass and still had panic attacks. I am on the more extreme side with 'Agoraphobia'

Normally, I wouldn't mention it, but I've worked in psych for decades, have a huge variety of experience, and multiple grad degrees on the the topic.

Are you involved in any kind of talk/behavioral therapy?

I'm not looking for business, but know a lot about your topic. Drugs do not work because fears like yours are based on beliefs and drugs can't change beliefs.

For instance, if I said I'm coming to your house at 4PM and I'm going to hit you in the hand with a hammer, and you believed it, there's no drug that can make you look forward to it. The beliefs we have about life are everything.

I had a client years ago who was afraid to travel. Her primary concern was that tunnels along the highway were going to collapse. I asked her if she had EVER EVER heard of this happening, and she had not. That's because it never happens and she just invented a set of ideas based on no other reality than her own invention.

That's a tragic way to live the one life you have.

With that woman, help was a combo of talking about her ideas, and then basically forcing her into a car and driving trough tunnels. After some time, she was a lot better.

She also had some other traumas in the past which I believe led to her inventing ideas about travel in order to stay home.

The reason I took the time to write all of that is because I believe you want to enjoy life, that's why you're here, and can do a much better job of it! Good luck.

Normally, I wouldn't mention it, but I've worked in psych for decades, have a huge variety of experience, and multiple grad degrees on the the topic.

I'm not looking for business, but know a lot about your topic. Drugs do not work because fears like yours are based on beliefs and drugs can't change beliefs.

For instance, if I said I'm coming to your house at 4PM and I'm going to hit you in the hand with a hammer, and you believed it, there's no drug that can make you look forward to it. The beliefs we have about life are everything.

I had a client years ago who was afraid to travel. Her primary concern was that tunnels along the highway were going to collapse. I asked her if she had EVER EVER heard of this happening, and she had not. That's because it never happens and she just invented a set of ideas based on no other reality than her own invention.

With that woman, help was a combo of talking about her ideas, and then basically forcing her into a car and driving trough tunnels. After some time, she was a lot better.

She also had some other traumas in the past which I believe led to her inventing ideas about travel in order to stay home.

The reason I took the time to write all of that is because I believe you want to enjoy life, that's why you're here, and can do a much better job of it! Good luck.

Yeah I have done some CBT but it is has been a slow road. Also a scary road, it is not easy to face ones own fears. I need to get back into it. I didn't stick with it long enough. I had some progress and figured "hey I am all better now!" then I had a setback which really kicked my ass.

I do know no meds will "cure" me but they do lower my anxiety enough that is makes it a tad easier to think a little more rationally when my mind is in full blown irrational mode.

One of the more frustrating things about this is like right now while sitting here with no anxiety I know my fears and thoughts I have when I am having a panic attack will never harm me. My worst fears will not come true. Yet when I get in a situation or one of my random out of the blue panic attacks it is like everything I just said and all the things I have learned via CBT get thrown out the window. When doing exposure therapy this is where it gets hard for me to stick with it. Fear is such a powerful emotion!

I believe it was Dr. Claire Weekes that said "Peace is through fear, not around it." which has really stuck with me over the years. Easier said than done though. I do appreciate you taking the time to write that post. I do want to figure this out. I want to start living life again. Part of living life again is why I am on this site. I want to get back to the me that could jump in a car and drive down to Denver for the heck of it.

Yeah I have done some CBT but it is has been a slow road. Also a scary road, it is not easy to face ones own fears. I need to get back into it. I didn't stick with it long enough. I had some progress and figured "hey I am all better now!" then I had a setback which really kicked my ass.

I do know no meds will "cure" me but they do lower my anxiety enough that is makes it a tad easier to think a little more rationally when my mind is in full blown irrational mode.

One of the more frustrating things about this is like right now while sitting here with no anxiety I know my fears and thoughts I have when I am having a panic attack will never harm me. My worst fears will not come true. Yet when I get in a situation or one of my random out of the blue panic attacks it is like everything I just said and all the things I have learned via CBT get thrown out the window. When doing exposure therapy this is where it gets hard for me to stick with it. Fear is such a powerful emotion!

I believe it was Dr. Claire Weekes that said "Peace is through fear, not around it." which has really stuck with me over the years. Easier said than done though. I do appreciate you taking the time to write that post. I do want to figure this out. I want to start living life again. Part of living life again is why I am on this site. I want to get back to the me that could jump in a car and drive down to Denver for the heck of it.

Avoid the hijack and take this private guys.

I could tell you want to live life, that's why I bothered to say anything.

The core challenge for you, and everyone with nearly any mental problem (the BEST type of problem), is beating yourself, the arrogant part of you that believes you're special and correct. I say that about myself as well.

Side note:

Sometimes seeing a therapist causes an arrogant reaction, like "I'm not listening to him! He doesn't know me," and other such BS. So, "reading therapy" can be very good because it's you and a book at home, so you're doing it yourself and can feel good about it.

If you'd like any reading suggestions, just ask.

Avoid the hijack and take this private guys.

Sorry!

I read that and couldn't figure out what it meant!

I get it now.