Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CountryGentleman

Any private pilots out there?

6 posts in this topic

I’m thinking about getting a private pilots license.  This is something I’ve been thinking about since college. Just a basic single engine VFR type rating.

Any of you have experience with getting one and have any suggestions thoughts or recommendations?

I have no idea what the cost would be or how long it would take but YOLO, right?

… A motorcycle is cheaper 😀😎

Private pilots training is very expensive. Aircraft rental is even more so. May want to consider chartering (aircraft and pilot) for a trip or two.

5 hours ago, CountryGentleman said:

I’m thinking about getting a private pilots license.  This is something I’ve been thinking about since college. Just a basic single engine VFR type rating.

Any of you have experience with getting one and have any suggestions thoughts or recommendations?

I have no idea what the cost would be or how long it would take but YOLO, right?

… A motorcycle is cheaper 😀😎

Prices will never get cheaper and next to sex flying is an absolute headrush. I am retired military (F-16’s & T-38’s) so when I got out I was able to obtain through the military competency tests the commercial/inst ratings. That being said….there are a lot of rip off flight schools and depending where you’re located ask some pilots at the local airport where you plan on flying what the rumors are about the local schools. The best people to talk to are the line guys working at the FBO’s especially ones that are getting their ratings. They hear everything. 

I have a P Baron and a SuperCub now…still a kick in ass fun time. I’ve gone from one end of the aviation spectrum to the other from high performance F-16’s in combat, intense jet training with high G pulling simulated dog fighting to 400 plus kt low level ops and now my low and slow 100kt VFR  SuperCub. Love every minute of my time in airplanes. 

JUST DO IT

Edited by contrails

20 minutes ago, contrails said:

Prices will never get cheaper and next to sex flying is an absolute headrush. I am retired military (F-16’s & T-38’s) so when I got out I was able to obtain through the military competency tests the commercial/inst ratings. That being said….there are a lot of rip off flight schools and depending where you’re located ask some pilots at the local airport where you plan on flying what the rumors are about the local schools. The best people to talk to are the line guys working at the FBO’s especially ones that are getting their ratings. They hear everything. 

I have a P Baron and a SuperCub now…still a kick in ass fun time. I’ve gone from one end of the aviation spectrum to the other from high performance F-16’s in combat, intense jet training with high G pulling simulated dog fighting to 400 plus kt low level ops and now my low and slow 100kt VFR  SuperCub. Love every minute of my time in airplanes. 

JUST DO IT

Awesome!  I was in the Air Force, but am a software geek and never flew.   At USAFA, I got a tiny bit of flying in power gliders and gliders.  Many of my best friends retired as pilots and one was an F-16 pilot.  

Thanks for your service and the advice!  I'm thinking seriously and I hope to start in the next year.  We'll see, but it's something I should've done a long time ago, better late than never!

I got mine years ago.  The college where I worked had a flight training program, but it was MUCH faster and less expensive to go to our one and only FBO in town.  Made a deal for everything EXCEPT FAA flight tests.  I studied on my own and my instructor then went over everything.  I THINK I had about 150 hours of ground school, and was ready to solo after about 18 hours of flight.  30 years ago all that cost about $8,500.00 but I did it 'cause I wanted to and to piss off my dean.  Win win

Edited by mustang
typos

11 minutes ago, mustang said:

I got mine years ago.  The college where I worked had a flight training program, but it was MUCH faster and less expensive to go to our one and only FBO in town.  Made a deal for everything EXCEPT FAA flight tests.  I studied on my own and my instructor then went over everything.  I THINK I had about 150 hours of ground school, and was ready to solo after about 18 hours of flight.  30 years ago all that cost about $8,500.00 but I did it 'cause I wanted to and to piss off my dean.  Win win

Great info!  Thanks.   Always up for those kinds of win wins!