BadLeroyBrown

Board newbies....

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BadLeroyBrown said:

This is a chat board. Why do people take issue with others chatting.

I have no idea, but this may in part explain some of the difficulty you report experiencing. I've been hanging around here for some time and this has never been a "chat" board as such. Historically, there have been separate rooms for those who wished to "chat" and make connections.

3 hours ago, BadLeroyBrown said:

Initially, I wasn't aware there was a new TOB until I logged in recently and noticed my login username displayed some additional numbers behind it. I basically was no longer BLB, I was BLB-1234, was a little disappointed my user had changed. So I contacted some admins, and they fixed me up, but in doing so deleted my old account, and all previous reviews. 

I emailed/reached out to another member who's reviews had always entertained me, and I've been reading for years and we've actually been chatting pretty well. (Shocking, I've made friends! I know. Bare with me!) So I said to myself "who else cool might be out there?!" So back to the boards I came. Optimistic, and feeling fresh... (thanks to admin I got my name back, thank you kind mods)🙄🙄

I'm still torn on whether the board is friendlier or not. I've spoken to some awesome people the last couple of days, but they then usually seem to go silent as soon as one of the more negative voices makes their presence known. KG's (keyboard gangsters) as I like to refer to them.

I've noticed anytime I start a thread and more than one provider chimes in and seems to be enjoying the conversation a KG chimes in faithfully, and starts swinging his great big "thesaurus" around, and attempts to put me in my "place". <--- would never happen in real life, definitely is not happening via computer monitor. 

I just figured this would be an awesome way to get to know some ladies I've admired personally from afar for a bit, while also getting to know some members and share info. 

Surprisingly, with the minor addition of a few I might just not be remembering, the majority of KG'S I see on here today we're the same exact ones pushing people out of the conversation some years ago.  Sitting on top of the treasure trove like greedy little gobblins.  

Sad part is for as many dislikes as this might get there are at least 10xs more who feel exactly what I'm saying, but they won't step forward for fear of retaliation from a KG/GLG (greedy Lil gobblin".

I'm not disrespectful, do I post a lot, yeah, but in honesty I wish others would post more. This is a chat board. Why do people take issue with others chatting. If you want to be included participate, if not scroll past. If I were doing anything wrong I'm sure the mods would address it, and I would acquiesce accordingly. 

That's it in a nutshell. I'm far from disrespectful, and have way to much swagg to just fall in line.

Thank you for answering in such detail.

I think we are all at fault, new and old members, of name calling. Jumping to conclusions too fast about people especially their online persona. It takes time to realize who the nice people really are. Some people want to have a nasty online persona, but are really nice in person. Or mean people pretending to be nice. Or people being who they really are, online and off.

Sometimes our old timers are too quick to call someone a "troll". Don't think they don't get scolded for it, I am sure more than one TOBer here has gotten a personal email saying, "Hey knock it off you are looking like an ass."

That being said, it does not do a new person good to come out swinging calling people "KG's or goblins".

You will see people poking jabs at each other on here, and to a newbie that may seem okay. It is usually between people that know each other.

It is playful banter.

That does work coming from a new person. It will come off as being offensive.

Just because this is an adult forum, doesn't mean people wont be offended by what usually offends people. Posting about a sticky topic takes some grace, and proper wording.

First impressions do matter, in real life or online, rarely if you make a bad first impression will people see you otherwise.

No this is not a chat room, it is a forum. There is a difference. Forums are less conversational.

Sometimes less is more, that is my 2 cents. Actually, I do believe less is more.....unless we are talking cock sizes :) Then more is more.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/differences-between-chat-rooms-forums-71296.html

I just read this entire thread and have only one thought at the end: "Boy, you guys have a lot of time on your hands."

On 4/26/2016 at 2:42 PM, Kashmir said:

TOB is considerably more newbie friendly than it used to be. I posted for almost a year, before anyone even acknowledged my existence.

I had to make a TOBer my "Man Whore" for the night, before people felt comfortable with me ;) 

If your intentions are honorable, people will grow to like you.

Be patient, and let your personality shine.

People of different opinions are welcomed, even I like seeing 2Big post most of the time :)

This...So true.  I have received this same advice many, many times over.  Once people are comfortable will you-it's all gravy.  Only time can make that happen.