Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jez UaBriain

How effective are condoms against STD's and unplanned pregnancies

7 posts in this topic

A recent thread got me to thinking....(oh no! )......

LOL, we can pretty much count on this that a large portion of the population were created because of the failure of birth control. And even though my mother was a staunch catholic and thought the pope was the next best thing to God, my dad was agnostic. And so the fact that using condoms for birth control was not an issue for her.  All in all , how many people can say they truly were planned? I know that I and a sister who came along 12 years after me were not supposed to have happened. I am a condom baby.

So I have always wonderered just how effective these condoms are when it comes to STD's. If one little x or y can break through latex, then what about the  bacteria that is an STD? All are hard-wired to propagate. Condoms are slippery little critters, and who hasn't had one break. So I thought that maybe a few of you may have so me view points to explore.

Condoms used correctly? 98% effective. 2 per 100 break. Pretty low. Rest of the time, it's operator head space and timing. (Army joke). Really, though, use em right and there's very little risk. Read about it here.

" If one little x or y can break through latex, then what about the  bacteria that is an STD? "

Nah. Don't work like that. They can't. Some one told you stories. 

14 minutes ago, jj254 said:

Condoms used correctly? 98% effective. 2 per 100 break. Pretty low. Rest of the time, it's operator head space and timing. (Army joke). Really, though, use em right and there's very little risk. Read about it here.

" If one little x or y can break through latex, then what about the  bacteria that is an STD? "

Nah. Don't work like that. They can't. Some one told you stories. 

Have you been playing w/Ma-Duece again? 😀

What I found interesting in the linked article was the political agenda to discredit condom effectiveness. It's despicable when some peoples' morals reduce other peoples' safety. 

Thank you Bit.

jj254, I have to quote my myself "" If one little x or y can break through latex, then what about the  bacteria that is an STD? " .Can you tell me how I  MANAGED TO MAKE MYSELF VIABLE?I obviously am here, so if the condom was effective ?..............

Trust me when I say this, the old man knew how to use them properly. Sorry, but no matter how careful we are, sometimes man made miracles don't pass the test. So does this mean we should quit screwing? Not to me. It just makes me aware that not all people are good and have my best interest at heart  when it comes to hobbying. So I use my head and not my crotch and I screen. I follow my hoedar instinctively, and I am not afraid to walk out my door every day. There are always risks in life.  I have heard some guys expound on the std risks before. If a person is super paranoid about catching an std from a hooker then my suggestion is he should only share his pecker with his SO.

There are not any guarentees in life that I am aware of. Its a crap shoot from the day we are born.

I am a broken condom baby... Well, at 56 years years old, I am not sure I can still be considered a baby.  That being said, I am sure  that the guys at Trojan have improved their product in the last 56 years and that they produce a fairly safe and reliable product these days. :-)

1 hour ago, Jez UaBriain said:

Thank you Bit.

jj254, I have to quote my myself "" If one little x or y can break through latex, then what about the  bacteria that is an STD? " .Can you tell me how I  MANAGED TO MAKE MYSELF VIABLE?I obviously am here, so if the condom was effective ?..............

From user error. Sperm can't break through latex. Maybe Superman, ask Louis. Rest of us, though, can't push them through. Latex is airtight and water tight. Use it wrong, store it wrong, treat it wrong (user error) it can tear. Kinda like anything else you stick a dick in. (Disclaimer - have not stuck my dick in everything, may be some exceptions). Read the article I linked you. Covers a lot of the myths about covers. 

Got no issue with screening. Got no issue with services people provide. Do what you want with your own free will, ya know? I believe people should fuck and let fuck. Yeah, STI and STD are always a risk. Up to each individual what risk they're willing to take. I'm not here to judge (next disclaimer - if you fuck goats I'll judge you a little).

17 hours ago, Jez UaBriain said:

Trust me when I say this, the old man knew how to use them properly. Sorry, but no matter how careful we are, sometimes man made miracles don't pass the test. So does this mean we should quit screwing?

There are not any guarentees in life that I am aware of. Its a crap shoot from the day we are born.

Even if your father knew how to use condoms properly, mistakes can happen. If the amount of the ejaculate exceeds the capacity of the condom or if some of the ejaculate accidentally spilled from the condom when removing it and it landed near the vagina, the vaginal secretions could still allow a pathway for the sperm to reach the uterus. Thus while the risk of pregnancy and STI's is greatly decreased a guarantee is never absolute.