Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Appreciate it, or hate it?

13 posts in this topic

I'm not a grammar Nazi. When I see minor errors, it doesn't really bother me. And I'd never pretend that I never make an error. But, when looking at ads, I sometimes think "If I wrote that, I'd appreciate it if someone told me."

I've only done it twice, just because the errors occurred in a context that I thought was particularly unfortunate. If you're explaining that you're an educated, well spoken companion who would be at home at an upscale business dinner, it's an awkward place to make a basic error. Once I got a very nice thank you note back. The other time I heard nothing.

The thing is, even if you're really nice about it, you just never know how someone will take something like that. I'm not making fun, or being a smart ass. I'm honestly just trying to help. Some people might be put off by that kind of thing. I've seen people mention it on here.

So, ladies, if you got a very nice note, offering unsolicited copy editing, would you appreciate that, or would you think the sender was an ass?

If you have spare time, I could defiantly use help on my writing. I would appreciate it

If it's one or two misspelled words, you can view it as an oversight, but if the whole ad is littered with misspelled words or poor grammar, well, I hope she has large <fill in the blank>!

bnx28.jpg

igotadigbickawkwardLOGO.jpg

I've had someone send me a note to point out an error and I appreciated it. I've also notified other ladies when they have *pre-cook* vs *pre-book* in their ad or if their photos aren't coming up. I think it's all a matter of how you approach it. Tact is everything. :D

I have pointed out errors and been thanked for it, and the error was fixed immediately.

I have also pointed out errors and been ignored. Depends on how professional the provider is.

If you have spare time, I could defiantly use help on my writing. I would appreciate it

Ok. You did that on purpose, right? ;)

If I were applying for a clerical or an admin position it would matter. But the ladies are not selling grammar.

Next time a lady post an ad they can run it by you for the final draft lol.

Cum get it bozs is all that is needed.

SJ

If it's an interesting Freudian slip or pun in her ad, I might politely point it out to a YL. I wouldn't mind a similar polite correction.

OTOH - if her ad is laden with gutter speak, she's never going to hear from me. Granted, the YL are not applying for a para-legal position, but they should display a modicum of intelligence.

If I were applying for a clerical or an admin position it would matter. But the ladies are not selling grammar.

Next time a lady post an ad they can run it by you for the final draft lol.

Cum get it bozs is all that is needed.

SJ

Some would disagree.

Some guys are looking for providers they can "make a connection" with. An intelligent guy with good spelling & grammar skills could be a bit put off by mistakes in ad copy, especially if there were several.

Also, spelling & grammar mistakes might be perceived as lazy. A provider who puts a lot of effort into an ad or website won't have many of those mistakes. It makes an impression.

I would change the error(s) and take it with a grain of salt. I don't think I would respond back to the person who pointed out said error in the first place out of fear of being ridiculed or perceived as dumb. I also think there is a huge difference when auto correct is on versus typing an ad out on a pc..

Typos happen.

But if I get a trailer park/ghetto vibe from an ad, it is a definite negative based on experience. Numerous typos reveal that.

We all can use constructive marketing advice.

I t seems to me that most grammar mistakes that we see here are of the "garden variety". And then there are those who are like me, a"lazy typist".I also I take liberties with the written language and have a tendency to assume that all can read the direction I am headed. Even though I am fully aware that people read into things what they want to. So I figure any little grammar mistakes I may have made are irrelevant anyway.

Unless you are a copy writer, editor or anyone in the writer's trade, it seems anal to be all backed up by someone's grammar mistakes. Unless it makes their writing hard to read...then who cares?:rolleyes:

Gr8 advice. Nvr let an oppor2n moment pass u buy. If U want help wit ur spellin,

seek out some1 who spelz better'n you. We all need all the hep we can git*

Illiterally literate.

bd5671

If it weren't fer bad spellerz, we wouldn't have no diktionaries...