Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mykallc

Donation via Visa/Mastercard gift card?

8 posts in this topic

Recently, it was requested that I stop at Walgreens and obtain a Visa/Mastercard gift card to be used for the donation. When asked "why?" she gave no compelling reason.

For some reason, this struck me as shady... and, as this was already a TOFTT typed of situation, I told her so and politely declined.

Granted I am only an infrequent hobbyist, but something about this didnt sit right with me. Is this common? Or is this an example of this "green dot" scam I seem to have heard something about?

maybe she simply wanted to pay a bill (or purchase something on line) with it..and it's easier (and $3.95 cheaper) for someone to give her donation in that form than her going out and getting it herself (perhaps she doesn't have car) who knows? but there really wasn't any downside on your end for purchasing that for donation pay (aside from the $3.95 it'd cost you to do so.. and running the errand) There IS no "green dot scam" for purchasers.

Not necessarily so Mr Vegas. That may be so in Colorado, but in diffferent states Walgreens or any other store may not carry Green Dot. Because of differences in state laws, each of those prepaid card companies is exclusive to certain stores by contract.

Anyway to the OP question. Green Dot, and other prepaid cards are not scams as that previous post had implied by using the terms "green Dot Scam" . Green Dot was just the tool used to complete the transaction.. Could well have been any other card. I have used Green Dot for many things over the years and never had any problems. That would include deposits with ladies for consultation services.

However, I would never do that on a TOFTT or someone that I did not know about.

I don't see a difference between laying a couple Benny's on the table or a pre-paid CC refill. Actually, it risky for the gal because you may have filled a CC with the info already. Thus it's like fake bills.

I would not send the refill info to anyone I am not familiar with. I have sent the info to long time friends and have had no issues with getting together.

Green Dot is a pre-paid debit card. Thats all. You can't spend it, if its not funded. I prefer cash pay , and just don't trust strangers to be honest with the amount to be put on a green dot money-pak that they buy. And the only time I have ever taken a personal check for payment is when I figure that may be my best option to get paid. But as a rule- cash works.

Now isn't that a no-brainer.;)

this "green dot scam" you are referring to is completely Irrelevant to this situation (guy giving her a card) there's NO downside for a guy to go buy a card..and give to girl. It's more of when you give YOUR prepaid green dot card for a payment..(the one you bought for yourself and registered in your name).(whereas they have access to your card funds...just like when you give ANY credit card information out)... I'd explain more..but i'm completely out of crayons and puppets... ;)

it is a scam there are a few FAKE providers in the CO area that request a gift card and then want the numbers on it before they show up to steal the money off of it and never show up to see you. so just beware.