Savoir Faire

Good Deeds

34 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, TML93 said:

You can put me in the believe in karma camp.  But I won't change my behavior to blend in with others to glom off of their good karma.  I'm not a karma chameleon.  But even if karma is not real, I like to live my life as if it is.  Basically I do good things when I can, and if someone does somthing bad to me I don't sweat it.  I know the universe will sort it out.  For example if I am driving and I let someone merge or change lanes in front of me, then the car behind that car sees the opening and zooms in and cuts me off.  I don't honk, or flip them off, or tailgate them, or turn on my brights (If it's night) or try to pass them so I can cut them off.  I just shake my head, and I know when they get home they will step on one of their kids legos with their bare feet. But what do I know? I also believe that if I don't wear my favourite team's jersey while watching the game they will lose.

Now for my hot take.  I agree with with what's been said, a good deed comes with no expectations. But when someone does a good deed then brags about it later, it sort of defeats the purpose.  To me when someone does that is seems like they are thirsty for accolades which is not what a good deed is about.  Just my 2 cents.  (Or 3.5 cents in this economy)

Too Many Loads....................... Try not to step on any LEGOS. Thanks for your input....................

On 4/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, TML93 said:

You can put me in the believe in karma camp.  But I won't change my behavior to blend in with others to glom off of their good karma.  I'm not a karma chameleon.  But even if karma is not real, I like to live my life as if it is.  Basically I do good things when I can, and if someone does somthing bad to me I don't sweat it.  I know the universe will sort it out.  For example if I am driving and I let someone merge or change lanes in front of me, then the car behind that car sees the opening and zooms in and cuts me off.  I don't honk, or flip them off, or tailgate them, or turn on my brights (If it's night) or try to pass them so I can cut them off.  I just shake my head, and I know when they get home they will step on one of their kids legos with their bare feet. But what do I know? I also believe that if I don't wear my favourite team's jersey while watching the game they will lose.

Now for my hot take.  I agree with with what's been said, a good deed comes with no expectations. But when someone does a good deed then brags about it later, it sort of defeats the purpose.  To me when someone does that is seems like they are thirsty for accolades which is not what a good deed is about.  Just my 2 cents.  (Or 3.5 cents in this economy)

Those damn Legos!!! I stepped on those all the time with my own kids long ago, very painful! 
Your writing is perfect! 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:16 AM, Mustang87 said:

I'm afraid I side with Oscar Wilde on this one.

No good deed goes unpunished…

Also great.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions…

Trust and believe, that those may be GREAT quotes.  However,  being the poster child for both,  Karma works in mysterious ways.  From experience, it is always the ruler.

On 4/3/2023 at 1:22 PM, Mustang87 said:

“No good deed goes unpunished,” said Oscar Wilde. But I suspect he was not the first to say it.

17 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Those damn Legos!!! I stepped on those all the time with my own children long ago, very painful! 
Your writing is perfect! 

I do good things for others and then I put it out of my head. I don't always believe in Karma. Because good people get hurt. The truth is the karma points that you are creating now are for your next life time. So if you only believe in one life time? What is the point of tracking “good deeds”?  It is the Hindu faith that believes in Karma. You are better off just doing your best to be a good person because that is how you choose to live your life.  Another popular phrase to use “is what goes around comes back around.” And yes I do follow that! Nothing against the beautiful faith of Hinduism. There is lots to learn from all faiths. Just know what you are talking about and if not? Please become familiar with what you are talking about my friends.