Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caressa Duval

Let's Talk Monkey Pox, The New STD!

32 posts in this topic

I’ll grant that I may have confused the specific diseases we did or did not try to contract.  My 7 year old memories from 65 years ago could be a tad fuzzy.

I definitely remember chicken pox.  I had them in my throat. Begged my mother for a shot to ease the pain, but none was available. This was a major turning point in my life as I went from aichmophobia to calmly watching them stick me for shots & blood draws.

No, I was NOT proposing BB orgies.  But I was trying to say, “There’s no need for panic.  Let’s take a calm, rational approach to this new threat.”

Back in the 50's and 60's, parents tried to avoid childhood diseases like mumps and measles.  If my comment caused confusion and led you to believe that parents wanted us to get measles and mumps, I apologize.  Measles very easily led to serious complications including death.  mUmps coudl lead to infertility.  Nobody wanted that.

Chickepox was a different story.  I caught it when I was 5. I walked home from school on a rainy Friday afternoon, collecting worms out of the gutters and putting them in my coat pocket.  Got home about 15 minutes late.  My mother was pissed and spanked my butt good.  I tried to tell her about the worms in my pockets but she wouldn't listen...only wanted to punish me for being late.  Next day I showed that I had chickenpox. A few days later my mother was complaining about a stink in the house. Eventually she checked my coat pockets and found the worms.  Boy was she pissed.  I tried to tell her that I tried to tell her about the worms....only pissed her off more.  I got spanked again.  I smile and laugh when I think about that time.

I did miss 2 weeks of school because of the chickenpox.

I also remember catching measles...2 weeks in isolation in a dark room.  I was about 8 then.

Mumps when I was a teenager ion the 60's.

I digress.

Again, I think Bit was only relating what was a practice back then and not advocating for that to happen now.. Thankfully we have vaccines now.