goodguy69

Thank a VETERAN

34 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2018 at 1:57 PM, Jez UaBriain said:

Desparodo, maybe I can give you a different perspective. Many people, if they weren't forced to by the draft,go into the armed services to figure out what they are going to do for the rest of their lives. However, even though you may have served during non- war years, the strong possibility to be called up to give the ultimate sacrifice to protect the people,and this great country- Is  a possibility. Fortunately,it didn't happen to you. But once you enlist, your life is forfeit until you get your discharge papers. So , thank you for your service. 

Thank you very much for this Jez.  I had honestly never looked at it from this perspective before and I appreciate your thanks!

Desperado, you stepped up. You raised you hand and volunteered to stand in harms way if necessary. Do not diminish that.  Thank you!

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:52 AM, Desperado said:

I too feel a little strange when someone thanks me for my service.  I enlisted in the Army for reasons that are still unclear.  During my time in I travelled the world, met some of he best people I’ve ever known and some of the worst.  I’ve jumped out of airplanes at night, slept in the open in freezing rain, had crazy fun, learned a foreign language, received numerous commendations and one letter of reprimand.  I also was in the best shape of my life.  I never saw combat, but was deployed to some really bad areas as a peacekeeper for the UN. It completely changed my life and I’m incredibly grateful I did it , but I would never do it again.  The one thing I never felt it was though, was “service”.     I was paid to do a job and I did it. It’s not that I am ungrateful for the thanks that I occasionally receive, I am absolutely 1000% appreciative of that.  It just feels like people are thanking me for a noble sacrifice when at the time it was just me trying to figure out life.  That being said...Thank you to all my fellow veterans and thank you to everyone who is willing to take the time to be appreciative!

50 minutes ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Desperado, you stepped up. You raised you hand and volunteered to stand in harms way if necessary. Do not diminish that.  Thank you!

I have to agree with these comments.  You answered the call!

In a time when many young men were headed to Canada, I had a medic, a Quaker Contentious Objector, as a member of my in-country orientation squad.  He earned a LOT of my respect for just being there, prepared to serve in whatever capacity his faith allowed.