Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CandiO

High John!

5 posts in this topic

John the Conqueror, also known as High John the Conqueror, John de Conquer, and many other folk variants, is a folk hero from African-American folklore. He is associated with a certain root, the John the Conqueror root, or John the Conqueroo, to which magical powers are ascribed in American folklore, especially among the hoodoo tradition of folk magic.

John the Conqueror was an African prince who was sold as a slave in the Americas. Despite his enslavement, his spirit was never broken and he survived in folklore as a sort of a trickster figure, because of the tricks he played to evade his masters. Joel Chandler Harris's Br'er Rabbit of the Uncle Remus stories is said to be patterned after High John the Conqueror.

High John the Conqueror is also said to be the root of Ipomoea jalapa, also known as Ipomoea purga, an Ipomoea species related to the morning glory and the sweet potato. The plant is known in some areas as bindweed or jalap root. It has a pleasant, earthy odor, but it is a strong laxative if taken internally. It is not used for this purpose in folk magic; it is instead used as one of the parts of a mojo bag. It is typically used in sexual spells of various sorts and it is also considered lucky for gambling. It is likely that the root acquired its sexual magical reputation because, when dried, it resembles the testicles of a dark-skinned man. Because of this, when it is employed as an amulet, it is important that the root used be whole and unblemished. Dried pieces and chips of the root are used in formulating oils and washes that are used in other sorts of spells.

Other roots are linked to the same body of legends.
"Low John" is the root of the trillium or wake-robin, Trillium grandiflorum. It is carried on the person for assistance in family matters. It is also known as Dixie John or Southern John, and additionally is the basis for a hoodoo formula called Dixie Love Oil.

"Chewing John" is galangal, Alpinia galanga – a member of the ginger family. This is chewed much as chewing tobacco is chewed, to sweeten the breath and to calm the stomach. It is said that if you spit the juice from chewing this root onto the floor of a courtroom before the judge enters, you will win your case. Other names for this root are Little John and Little John to Chew. (This is called "Low John" in the Deep South.)

Muddy Waters mentions High John as Johnny Cocheroo pronounced Johnny Conqueroo in the song Mannish Boy. "I think I go down, To old Kansas Stew I'm gonna bring back my second cousin, That little Johnny Cocheroo" I burn High John root or oil when I chant for positive energy to enter my orbit. It really does have a pleasant aroma. I dont necessarily believe in this shit, but I must say that equally pleasant individuals come into my life when I do burn it.

Hmmmm
PLUS I just love the name!

That is an impressive history lesson Candi! Thank you for sharing! I thought I was doing it big with crystals, and sage! Learn something new every day!

Dang girl! That was pretty good. Where can this be bought ? Is there a local place?

When I first read the title, I thought you were saying hello.

Much to my egocentric chagrin, it is a very good tale. Interesting how herbs and roots have made their way into American folklore.

We are truly an amalgam of many races and cultures.

Signature

On 5/5/2016 at 5:52 PM, Jez UaBriain said:

Dang girl! That was pretty good. Where can this be bought ? Is there a local place?

Yes, you can! I go to Pets Paradise across from Queen Soopers @ 9th & Corona

Combo Organic Pet Food/ Metaphysical Herb store. She stocks High John in both oil and powder form. Plus you can get free treats for your pets!