Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoarce

Legalizing Hobby reduces crime and STDs

4 posts in this topic

So far, there hasn't been enough instances for conclusive proof. But legalizing prostitution appears to reduce crime and STDs. Anecdotal evidence from both Rhode Island and Canada suggests this may be the case. It would be nice for a state (read Colorado) to decriminalize prostitution. If the results are fewer crimes against women and statistically fewer cases of STDs, then other states could follow.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/08/12/reihan-salam-canada-is-following-the-wrong-lead-on-prostitution/

I think the idea of de-criminalizing prostitution as a panacea for ills allegedly related to prostitution is as wayward an idea as the now widespread idea that all or most prostitution (legal or otherwise) begets human trafficking.

I have seen studies that show the de-criminalizing prostitution actually increases violence against providers and increased human trafficking. So far, the most workable approach (for the provider at least) is the so-called Swedish model where the selling is not illegal but the buying is. In this way, the lady can go to the police without being fearful of being charged if she needs to.

[snip]

There are probably ways to "de-criminalize" the hobby that don't involve legalizing it. Adjusting enforcement priorities & penalties for the various kinds of sex work done. Public vs private place, underage vs legal age, drugs involved or what have you. Will it happen? Unlikely, but ten years ago would we have predicted legalized pot? Black president? Hostess Twinkies out of business....wait, what?

Edited by Mace
thread hijack to drugs

except that it might price 75% of the guys out of the hobby. Just watch that Cathouse shoe on HBO and see guys pay 10x what we pay for the same thing here in Colorado. With hotter looking woman here I will add.