Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gr8owl

Kim Simmonds

4 posts in this topic

Been a rough year for blues and rock.  Kim Simmonds the great lead guitarist and founding member of Savoy Brown.  Just a sample:

The band in heaven just got better.  Thanks for posting this.  Colon cancer is a killer.  It makes me realize my own age and mortality.

12 hours ago, average1 said:

The band in heaven just got better.  Thanks for posting this.  Colon cancer is a killer.  It makes me realize my own age and mortality.

You are most welcome.  Kim Simmonds was an amazing guitar player and Savoy Brown a great band - both under appreciated.  One of the best concert performances I ever saw (and there have been a great countless many!) was Savoy Brown at I think McNichols Arena (possibly the Coliseum - been a long time!).  They were the backup that night to the dismally disappointing Deep Purple.  But Savoy Brown was phenomenal.  They rigged an extension to the stage that rolled out almost to the center of the floor with Kim under sole spotlight unleashing an absolutely killer guitar solo the whole way out and back that went on and on.  We had floor seats and practically could have touched greatness as he wailed away and floated by.  

And for the show described above "Wire Fire" the album was about the time as I recall.  One more for the road. RIP Kim.