Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Builder1958

Where did Hobby come from

5 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been asked and I bet there are several answers out there, but I'll ask again "where did the term Hobby come from?

I'm sure this has been asked and I bet there are several answers out there, but I'll ask again "where did the term Hobby come from?

Interesting question...

Gotta call it something. For guys, anyway, it's not a profession. The word "hobby" is a nice antidote to the negative stigma that comes with paying for pussy. Oops, I mean companionship.

From the online Merriam-Webster...

: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

hob·by·ist

...sounds pretty much like what we have going on around here.

...Happy Hobbying...

...Crazy Horse...

That's a question that may never have an answer. Who said it/wrote it first? So many colloquialisms out there. Where did "hooker" come from for that matter. I suppose that one could be tracked. Hobby is a euphemism which makes it all more palatable. ASP is another.

Where did "hooker" come from for that matter. I suppose that one could be tracked.

That one was easy to track. The first written references come from the early mid 19th century concerning the ladies that worked the Colear's Hook area of New York City. So it pre dates the Gen. Joe Hooker of the Civil War by several decades and yet the Gen. had a hand in it all. With all those New York regiments mixed in with the hundreds of thousands of other men from all over the country in the Army of the Potomac at the same time as Gen. Hooker's head quarters was being described as "A traveling Brothel" it was only natural that a local slang went national and became a part of our American language.

The military has often had big influences on the American culture. Any guesses as to why we Americans call oral sex French. Could it be the hundreds of thousands of American boys fresh off the farm encountering oral sex in France during WW1. Then reinforce that by millions of American boys a generation later in WW2 looking for what they'd heard their dads and uncles talk about. I wonder what the French call it, Le Grand Royal maybe.;)

...Happy Hobbying...

...Crazy Horse...